Playing the Huns

KingKong76

Warlord
Lately I realised I was not ready for Immortal, my game not being flexible enough.... despite the fact I was winning every single game on Emp level, using a very big sample of cizs its always the same way:

Tall, defensive, science or diplomatic victory. Once in a while cultural...

So to force me to go out of my comfort zone, I decided to play every single civ from top forcing me to adapt to their UU UA UB...

With Moroco I achieve Cultural Vic... then a few diplo and science, and now:

Im Atilla on pangea...
Rolled a very good start with lots of salts plus another lux in my 1st 3 cities...
I Open Trad, Honor, Finnish Trad and open Patronage, cause I already had very good relationships with 2 neighbors cultural CS that were almost doubling my culture at that time to keep them as allies without investing to much $$, and also try to get another millitaristic neighbor for cheap...

Killed a lot of babarians to get the culture and please city states...

I founded 3 cities, NC like turn 90, 1 more city and tons of horses archers a few melle units and batering rams (never had chance to fight I upgraded them to trebuchets) and went after Russia to protect a CS I PtP that she declared war too... ended up loosing pretty much all her army and offering me a deal I couldnt refuse... (her 2nd city, 15 gold per turn, and 1 lux ress)

So I took it and went on Songhai (wich was supposed to be my 1st target) that I cornered with my 3rd and 4th city placement and only had a single city... took it pretty easily then heal and went back on Russia to take her moscow and razed her 3rd and last city.
(I say I, but its more that me Russia Arabia and Venice (bought CS) grew their empire in his direction... I also think he lost a settler (even 2) to barbarians)

Now Im on turn 170ish or so, sitting on the 2nd biggest army (close 1st) but:
Biggest Army is Arabia my 1st neighbor
my horses Archers are not as dominant as they were 60-70 turns ago
everyone is pissed at me... like hostile or even denouncing
and my happiness is a bit low
AND (freaky weird)... I manged to position myself in good posittion to go for science or diplomatic cause Ive been able to do all that that not neglecting the important wonders in my capital.

What Im supposed to do?:
take break and upgrade-build more Army? (sound safe but wussy)

I go directly at that Arabian mother er and simply out-drive him to take 2 cities including capital before taking brake? (sound risky, but Im ''confident'' to succeed)

I sit back in defensive position... upgrade army and build a bit more and call it a war...
(sound like not going out of my comfort zone, but a sure shot victory)

I also need to know, do you think I took to much time to install my civ before going to war?
Between what turns you are supposed to go beserk when you are clearly aiming at domination?

Thanks

as long as you got no unhappiness issues, you got no reason to stop your warmongering
usually i feel like the earlier is the easier; even if you're waiting for artillery or something to take cities, you can still declare war early just to kill units and get xp

and yea you might have taken too much time to settle your civ instead of making war early on. doesnt really matter as you clearly seem to be winning (already taken out 2 civ), but attila's UU are really worth building from start, even on higher difficulties you can take out 1 civ or 2 during ancient/early classical era

i had this game where i got my starting warrior upgraded to a battlering ram from a very early rune; that + a second warrior was enough to take out a city-state on turn 20

usually when going for early warmongering you only build a second city (just to afford an army big enough) and spam units, you'll concquer the rest of your cities
and you dont build wonders, you'll get them through your wars ;)

Top Bottom