Summer Project

How many cities do the Japanese hold at this point?

This is a massive problem, but there must be a reason behind it as it doesn't happen in all scenarios. I'm not an expert but I would be happy to take a look at the files if you wanted to send them to me. I may be able to spot something you have missed somehow.

Have you explored the possibility the unit role, cost, obsolescence or stats could effect the bisbanding. How about running tests from the save point you mentioned above and trying to play with these factors is a temporary rules file? (Apologies if you have already tried all this! - just brainstorming).

Did you ever curse an electric device for not working, only to realize it wasn't plugged in? That's how I feel. :hammer2:

I took The Nameless One's advice and changed the pre-reqs of the Japanese units so they were no longer obsolete, after making a back-up. But I made the changes to the backup! So throughout this frustrating effort, the Japanese units have remained obsolete and have been duly disbanded by the AI. Having installed the "backup" Rules file, I find the Japanese are no longer deserting in droves, but are now kicking the Brit's butts all the way back to India.

Thank you all for your help. I'll just plug the thing in, and get back to work.

:banana: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Haha! Yes, this happened to me recently too...Working from a usb instead of my external drive.
I was going nuts wondering why my road multipliers were not taking on the edits...!
Then, duh! I realised the same...Wrong file! We are getting old and senile, man!

Glad this disbanding problem might be potentially over...

With the (knock-on-wood) finishing of this is Blood and Iron possibly next, or a surprise... ?

Do you mean Curt's WW2 British/Indian, Japanese, and Chinese sets? I have at least an iteration of them in my current version of EoTRS, but he's probably (though I could be wrong) improved on them since then.

Found some cities (a few are quite old) that might or might not be useful.
Made me decide it was time to create a few new WW2 era Far East designs...

These might serve as placeholders for now?

Attachments

• Eastern Cities.png
    Eastern Cities.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 163
Found some cities (a few are quite old) that might or might not be useful.
Made me decide it was time to create a few new WW2 era Far East designs...

These might serve as placeholders for now?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing them. :bounce:

The main styles I'm searching for are British/Indian colonial, Thai/Burmese, and Chinese. If you're able to do a Thai/Burmese style, I'll have the Japanese use it, since almost all of their cities will be in Burma. I'm quite happy to use your present Chinese cities.

It's been a while since I posted on progress in Burma Campaign. That isn't to say I've been idle, it's been a challenging scenario to design. The main challenge is representing the long, drawn-out campaign, fought over a large area, between the British and the AI-controlled Japanese. Representing the main phases of the campaign in turn is the framework for the scenario:

1. The Japanese have to invade Burma and drive out the Brits and their Chinese allies before the first monsoon. The Brits have to be able to save at least part of their force by conducting a skillful retreat.

2. The British have to be able to stem the Japanese advance on the Indian border by conducting a successful defense.

3. The British must be able to sustain China with airlifted lend-lease supplies. Alternatively, if they do not, the Japanese must then be able to overrun south China and win the scenario.

4. Throughout 1943, the Japanese must be able to maintain themselves against British attacks with well thought out events-driven counter-attacks.

5. In 1944 the Japanese must launch an all-out invasion of India that has a good prospect of success in the event of a poor defense by the human player. This would lead to a major uprising in Bengal and Assam, costing the British the game. Conversely, the British should have the opportunity to cripple the Japanese army with a well played defense and counter-offensive, allowing a full scale invasion of Burma in 1945.

6. The British must be able to launch a final, war winning offensive to capture Rangoon by the onset of the monsoon in June 1945. Significant armored forces, plus airborne and amphibious units will be available for this task. Failure to capture Rangoon by July 1945 and keep China in the war will result in a defeat.

So far, I've got the initial 1942 Japanese offensive working very well. A few glitches need to be fixed. Initially, after conquering Burma, the Japanese turned almost entirely against China, and it was impossible to save it, even by using all the B-24s, Wellingtons and other long-range bombers to interdict them. I used moveunit events to fix this, but it's a bit of overkill and I'll still need to balance it.

The stalemate in 1943 seems to occur naturally, which is good. I need to add several key Japanese counter-attacks based on British re-capture of certain cities. And the big Japanese invasion of India (Operation U-GO) in 1944 needs to be added, as does the uprising of the Indian National Army against the British if the Japanese break through.

Some events aren't working yet. The lend-lease events to trigger Chinese reinforcements don't seem to have any effect, so that is a priority. On top of that, Japanese fighters shoot down almost all of the airlifted supplies, so I'm still wondering how to fix that. I added a second set of airports, one in India and one in China to increase the chances of some getting through.

A smaller glitch is that events creating Japanese riverine gunboats don't work. I assume that is because they are ship units that I'm trying to generate on land. ToTPP allows ship units with a special flag to move on rivers. I'd have them appear in a port, but I don't want them sailing off into the ocean instead of up river.

The British air transport stuff works great. Giving transport ships the paratroop flag allows them to jump into Japanese rear areas. I've used 2 types: gliders and C-47s. Gliders go first, and also have the engineer flag. They build an airfield before being disbanded (house rule), and then the C-47s can jump in with reinforcements and jump out again the next turn. Air transport of troops and supplies was used in Burma more than any other theatre.

Several Indian armoured brigades arrive during 1944 and 1945, giving the British powerful offensive capacity. In the last year of the scenario, the British also get a few Royal Marines and some landing craft, as well as 3 battalions of Indian paratroops, giving them all they need for a powerful drive to recapture Rangoon before the end of the scenario.

... On top of that, Japanese fighters shoot down almost all of the airlifted supplies, so I'm still wondering how to fix that. I added a second set of airports, one in India and one in China to increase the chances of some getting through.

I find that play testing can always end up making a mockery of your most cherished game concepts... if you can't get the Japanese fighters to stop shooting down your airport to airport transfers you may have to reconsidered your method, e.g. have your reinforcements arrive in China through the event file as long as the British control one or more specific cities in India and/or China (not as fun but would get the job done).

Are you planning on representing the monsoon season in your scenario? If so will you be swapping terrain and rules files?

Top Bottom