TSG121 Opening Actions

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG121 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.

- What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game?
- Did you spend much time doing reconnaissance before settling?
- Where did you settle and what did you build first?
- How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow and why?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- What Wonders did you try to get and did you get them?
- Did you go for early Faith? How did you use faith?
- How quickly did you get off your island?
- Any surprises? :mischief:

What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game?

Either peacefully tech to United Nations or blow everyone up so dead people can't vote :lol:

Did you spend much time doing reconnaissance before settling?

Where did you settle and what did you build first?

Nope, settled in place on turn 0. Monument -> Worker -> Shrine -> Granary -> Great Library -> NC

How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?

A lot. Seeing the start, I figured I'd OCC to NC and then plant one expo.

What were your initial priorities?

Getting science and gold up asap

What tech path did you follow and why?

After GL and NC, I beelined Optics and then Iron Working so I can get Lighthouse and Colossus.

What Social Policies did you choose and why?

Finished Tradition using Oracle, currently one in Patronage and one in Exploration

What Wonders did you try to get and did you get them?

Finished Great Library, Great Lighthouse, Colossus, Oracle and Chichen Itza, missed Hanging Gardens by 2 turns.

Did you go for early Faith? How did you use faith?

Picked +1 from Salt, but wasn't enough to secure a Religion.

How quickly did you get off your island?

After I built up the capital. Portugal and Sweden already found me.

Any surprises?

Only one so far, Mongolia getting Petra :lol:

To T100:

Settled in place. I planned to go Liberty, worker first, then find islands nearby that I could settle. Monument - Start worker - Granary - Shrine - Finish worker - GL (T41) - Start NC - Trireme - [rush-buy Trireme] - Finish NC (T51) - Settler, got the free settler from Liberty on turn 53 I think. For my pantheon I took God-King as it seemed like the best choice to me.

Turned out there were only 2 decent spots, both on the starting island. I think Liberty's still a fine choice though, Tradition's +% to border growth doesn't matter since we're America, cities should grow fast thanks to Cargo ships. Happiness is pretty low, but I'm hoping to catch a religion with Hagia Sophia, and try to get Chichen Itza and Notre Dame. Have a feeling I'll miss Chichen though, but it's worth a try.

Maria got Great Lighthouse and Oracle. I don't care about GLH, but seeing Oracle go that early on Emperor was an unpleasant surprise. I was hoping to get Secularism with it. I guess AIs' priorities change a bit on island maps. Maybe Maria's trying to get quick Compass or something.

Finished Liberty on T92 and planted a GS. Friends with everyone I've met except Mongolia so far. Having Genghis in the game is good, I think it should be pretty safe to gift him captured capitals to avoid the science penalty and unhappiness. Warmongers don't liberate too often.

Spoiler :

- What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game?
i'm not much of a fan of these diplo games.. no matter how well i do the timing screws me.. so i am just going to kill everybody for fun.

nope.. starting location looked pretty good.

built scout.. seemed pointless once i saw the island was so small but after more turns it was pretty useful in having vision on every tile thus keeping barbs off my turf.. then monument, 2 workers, granary, GL, triremes in between there.

the good production tiles and small map made me plan for GL and HG.. but i bailed on HG and popped out 3 settlers instead.
settled near the iron, whales, and the silk.

workers.. NC, exploration.

pottery, mining (salt), writing (GL), sailing (fish-cargo ships-exploration), calendar, masonry, bronze working (to find iron)

tradition (for growth), exploration (1), rationalism

only went for GL and notre dame (for conquest happiness)

disregarded faith until turn 75 or so i began with buildings.. i am not a fan of slowly chugging missionaries through island maps.. i gave portugal open borders so they spread their religion to me.. pagodas & cathedrals.. then i conquered their cities with 3 faith wonders and a planted GP.

not very quickly.. i built 4 triremes to explore and based on what i found it didnt seem important to move any bodies out there so fast.. only pushed optics for lighthouses.

- Any surprises?
portugal was pissy with me.. then i conquered them leaving 1 city.. next turn after peace i extorted their cs ally.. 2 turns later they ask for declaration of friendship with the "afraid" tag.

i should finish killing everybody in 20 turns or so.

Getting to optics asap, settling nearby islands and going for peaceful win.

No. Starting location looked pretty awesome to me.

Wasn't sure about any CS on my island for worker steals so I went worker-shrine-granary-trireme-trireme

Decided to skip settlers and go for an OCC

explore, meet everyone

pottery, mining, sailing, optics

Full tradition, 2 patronage, 1 exploration

Great lighthouse, HG, Oracle, MoH (useless - but was just 6 turns and CS quest)

Just earth mother panthenon, but wasn't quick enough for a religion. Production from fishing boats would've been a better option I guess...

Very quickly. Only to find the neighbouring area to be filled up already

- Any surprises?
Yeah. The surroundings were so crappy I decided to try OCC. Also Ghenis is kicking ass - I wouldn't expect that on an islands map

- What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game? Either fully peaceful science game, or domination after rushing frigates, depending on neighbors.

No, start looks good enough.

In place. scout, worker, monument, settler, granary, GL(42), ToA(59), NC

only built 1 scout due to island size, and also worker due to lack of worker steals.

Early wonder spams including GL, ToA, Oracle, HS, CI, FP, LtoP, while putting as many expos as there are good spots for.

Beeline for GL after mining, then optics for exploring new islands, then lux tech, then beeline Education, enter renaissance via astronomy, then beeline PP.

Tradition, with wonder sp after legalism. Open patronage for FP, then standard rationalism up to secularism.

GL, ToA

No, hoping to found religion with Hagia Sophia. Probably wont even finish rationalism for faith buying GS, so not much use for faith, except for GE.

Around turn 40 when GL finished, optics was researched, while GL gave free Philosophy.

- Any surprises?
No

- What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game? Great start, emperor easy need to win quick, need worker, need Tirem and Optics,

Luckily moved scout to a good viewpoint and saw lots an lots of fishes. Moved first city to other side of river and this made all the difference.

over River, worker/minning, started scout switched to shrine, granery,tireme, finished scout-would've finished scout earlier if barb problem. Stole worker Byblos and Portugal later sending me down Warmonger path.

Two city warmonger but Washington was YYYYUUUUUGGGGEEEE.

Scout scout wanted to get units through coasts before the civs grew cutting me off. Lost a late push for GL but had Trad and Marble Bonus so got paid. Got Colosus, Hanging Garden in NO FRESH WATER NY, conq lighthouse in Portugal once got friggates.

Optics, early NC (2 cities required), Education, Top of tree, Amazed at how the top of tree turbocharge Fishes.

Tradition, Patronage, Opened Exploration(Mistake-most civs fell in under 10 turns), Freedom

GL-lost it, Chicken-Itza, Notre Dame- Need to stay happy for Rational Opener 10% while raizing a ton of cities.

Yes invested big got last Religion with two cities and a fish/hammer partheon. Did lose prophet/wonder to Portugal.

Asap Tireme Asap only distraction was minning.

- Any surprises?
Lost two cargo ships early once due to stupidity. Washington/NY built Work boats every turn for 8 turns and this was HUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEEE.:king:

I cleaned out the 5 extra Civs before turn 200 but didn't pop the GS until 219.

Introduction:
While a decade ago i was a civ3 veteran, I am new to civ5, but will try to make a worthy comeback :)
After starting but quickly abandoning half a dozen games, I just completed my first game yesterday (king, brazil, everything standard, cultural victory around 1920) But i have spent many many hours reading the war academy, wiki and strat forums and ill keep doing so while playing this game.

In the announcement thread i read about destroying every civ except 1 for a diplomatic victory. While that sounds extremely interesting and fitting to how i liked to play civ in the past, i think this is not something i should attempt now with my lack of civ5 experience. I intent to play this game pretty standard and straightforward trying to become popular and keeping my reputation unblemished troughout the game even though this intention already make me feel noobish.

Opening:
Luxuries, river, mountain for observatory, hill for a second production. Looks like a settle in place, but lets move the warrior first.
I aint gonna move away from this mountain, river and luxes for sure so moving north is not helpfull, i move the warrior west acros the river and see marble.

Either i build in place and expand to the marble. My capital will have a bonus from the hill starting out with 2/5 food/prod, 2/7 at size 2 with territory expansion but no work done yet. The second city will have a low production start but can get the sheep acros the water to bring it to 6 production using sheep, improved cow and salt.
That would enable it to build a small but not great lighthouse and become a nice city with great food and decent production after that. The capital meanwhile will have a little less food but more production potential. Mid game, the twin cities would have about 20 - 25 base production respectively.

Or i move. Now my capital starts out with 3/4, 3/5 at size 2 with no work done yet. A bit less than staying. Mid game it could grow to 35 base production although it needs some more population for that, but it does have the food potential to grow that. This city would be a combination of magnificent food and good production. It would be able to build the wonders i want. After learning in civ3 not to bother with wonders, im a noob again and wonders look sexy.

I move. It starting out slower and taking quite a while before i can actually utilize so many awesome tiles, I still aint sure its the right thing, but i move because i have visions of a magnificent city full of wonders. The whole world will be in awe of it. (why aren't we doing cultural victory?)

Timeline short edited version:
Spoiler :
I build my magnificent to be capital, start researching mining and producing a worker. Impoving those salt for +1/+1 is priority. Another turn later my warrior finds byblos. They give me 30 gold which allows me to buy the salt tile that i will need for my second citizen.

T8: Ruin gives pop, buy tile for new pop.

T10: Mining -> Pottery. Will build shrine to get god of sea pantheon.

T17 Pottery -> A.Husbandry.

T22. A.Husbandy -> Archery. After long deliberation, decided to capture Byblos before everyone is all over me.

T24. Shrine -> Granary.

T28. Archery -> Calendar

T32. Granary -> 3x archer

T41. Capture worker, get spearman damaged and heal to 91HP.

T44. Archers ready, mount for attack. Produce Settler.

T50. Byblos is mine, took a worker in the process.

T60. Optics -> Writing. Decide its too late for TGL and it aint that important anyways if i will be peacefull. Build small lighthouse instead.

T65. Writing->Philo

T67. Small lighthouse ready with 3 fishing boats out there.

T73. Purchased trireme meets portugal. Trade salt for silver.

T76. Philo->Next research goal: math for courhouse. Start building NC.

T87. NC->Oracle.
T96. Oracle-> Petra. Golden age starts. Tradition complete.

T103 demographics:
Capital size 14. producing 28.75 food, 33.6 prod, 40.5 science.
New york size 8.
Byblos size 6.

Timeline long unedited version:
Spoiler :
Opening:
Luxuries, river, mountain for observatory, hill for a second production. Looks like a settle in place, but lets move the warrior first.
I aint gonna move away from this mountain, river and luxes for sure so moving north is not helpfull, i move the warrior west acros the river and see marble.

Either i build in place and expand to the marble. My capital will have a bonus from the hill starting out with 2/5 food/prod, 2/7 at size 2 with territory expansion but no work done yet.
The second city will have a low production start but can get the sheep acros the water to bring it to 6 production using sheep, improved cow and salt.
That would enable it to build a small but not great lighthouse and become a nice city with great food and decent production after that. The capital meanwhile will have a little less food but more production potential.
Mid game, the twin cities would have about 20 - 25 base production respectively.

Or i move. Now my capital starts out with 3/4, 3/5 at size 2 with no work done yet. A bit less than staying.
Mid game it could grow to 35 base production although it needs some more population for that, but it does have the food potential to grow that.
This city would be a combination of magnificent food and good production. It would be able to build the wonders i want. After learning in civ3 not to bother with wonders, im a noob again and wonders look sexy.
Great lighthouse seems obvious to me. Would there be time to also squize in a great library ? (love those things that also give a free building). At 15% reduction makes me feel like im building a wonder for 85 shields.
And of course the national college. Ok enough for the noobish wonder drooling. I need to make choises.

I move. It starting out slower and taking quite a while before i can actually utilize so many awesome tiles, I still aint sure its the right thing, but i move because i have noobish visions of a magnificent city full of wonders. The whole world will be in awe of it. (why arent we doing cultural victory?)

I build my magnificent to be capital, start researching mining and producing a worker. If i understand it correctly, working the salt will give me both a food and production and theres 2 of those so this is priority.
Another turn later my warrior finds byblos. They give me 30 gold which allows me to buy the salt tile that i will need for my second citizen. (the noob that i am hadent even thought of this. Without the gold i would be screwed upon city growth for a few turns)
T8: My warrior finds a hut that adds a pop. Gotta buy another 2 food tile, i choose not for the marble as my city will take that in 8 turns anyway and instead take the grassland that leads towards the second salt.

T10 Mining -> Pottery. Plannig to build a shrine after the worker to get God of the sea pantheon i start researching pottery next. Tough decision since it means my first settler will be rather late, but i want this 1 city to be as awesome as it gets. Not even sure if i will build any more cities. Although they are nice to send cargo ships to the capital. Capturing Byblos might be an option too though.

T16-17 Pottery is coming 1 turn late. I spent 1 turn prebuilding a settler. My warrior has just picked up a spear and scouted the whole island. I sent the spearman to byblos to see if it can grab another worker for me there.
Proceed researching animal husbandry.

T22. First AI founded a pantheon, good they chose the same useless one they always seem to do. (godess of protection).
Lets pray that i will get my godess of the sea with this somewhat late shrine build. I think i dont care too much about the later religion stuff.

I need to start a new tech. Time to have a plan. Looking at this island, it looks like byblos should be mine. 3 cities on 3 penensulas surounding my capital seems so perfect.
I have 4 wishes: The great lighthouse. National College. Capture Byblos before anyone gets to know me. Expand with self made cities to the north east and south east penensulas.
Both expanding and the national college are not contested but they are very important boosts. TGL and byblos must happen asap or they wont happen at all.
TGL is also a nice boost trough it giving me a normal lighthouse and thus quite a worthy investment even on the short term, though not as worthy as the expansions or NC.
Byblos is going to be a heavy, investment, but it might be so valuable in the long term. I am not sure if i can combine it with TGL though. It requires me to research at least archery, possibly also the wheel.
It would be nice if i could get my spearman damaged and healed to 9x HP so it can stand in the forest and take the city defences attacks there while healing itself. Receiving 20 and healing 10, it would be able to stand there for at least 6 turns and still be able to capture the city.
In those 6 turns ill need to deal about 300 dmg to the city including its healing. meaning 50 per turn. 3 archers or 2 chariot archers should be able to do that.
If he has a defending unit as well, id need one more. 1 unit difference clearly isnt worth researching the wheel. So archery and 3-4 archers it is.
Then comes the happiness. I will need Calendar and masonry to connect 3 more luxuries that enable me to handle the capture. I can research those while i build the archers. But how late is my TGL going to be ?
Doesnt matter that much actually, if id go for TGL instead of capture, id be expanding first anyway and still need those luxes. TGL aint that important that i set aside all forms of expansion and NC for it.
So its either settler(s) - TGL or archers - TGL. I choose to be bold its now or never, i cant take that city after meeting all the other civs. Archery it is. Lets hope the poor sap builds me a worker before i take him.

T24. Shrine ready, 4 turns till archery. What to build in those 4 turns (meh, should have gotter archery before animal husbandry)
I choose to prebuild 4 turns on granary because it wont halt my growth and after capturing byblos i probably wont have the happiness to expand anyways.
Other than that i could prebuild worker, but i hope to capture 1 instead. I actually just end up finishing the granary.
If i choose to use that food to work a hill during archer production, i will finish them in the same time. Or i just keep growing at max speed and probably win back much of those 4 turns also....

T41. Out comes a worker ! perfect timing. My 3th archer is almost done. I take the worker now and have a few turns to heal up my spearman to just not full health before the archers come in.

T44. 3 archers, a 91 HP spearman. Ready for attack. Unfortunately my capital doesnt have anything usefull to build for the comming 6 turns while i research sailing so i start building a settler after all.
Ill probably not be able to use it before i get down a courthouse in byblos though which i find out now takes a bunch more tech.
I build it anyway. I will soon be occupied building workboats and TGL for quite a while so its not to bad if its there.(90% prebuild at least). And i really dont need anything else that i can build now.
Didnt realise i need math for courthouses. Starting to get a little nervous, but with 2 more luxes i should be at 16 happiness and then ill have monarchy pretty soon. Hopefully it will work out.

T46. Uh oh, upon moving onto the forest i see yellow borders. I guess someone is going to whitness my agression.
T47. They didnt speak to me. I move it out of the forest to keep it that way. I need just 2 more rounds of archer fire, 1 of my archers can take a hit while spears move around to hill on the other side.

T50. Byblos is mine and noone knows about it. Still at + 5 happiness before the spices are connected ! Awesome.
I aint sure if i should go on with my TGL plans though. Its already turn 50 and i got 12 turns of reasearching optics to do before i can even start building it.
Had some messages about AI entering classical era already. Ill keep researching optics though, if not a great lighthouse, ill want a small one at least and it seems math can be postponed a bunch.
+9 with spices connected - 3 for the expansion leaves 6 for population till monarchy. That will add another 4.

T60. Optics ready. Capital could produce TGL in 12. I aint going to risk it, ill build a normal lighthouse. The TGL benefits arent that important anyway as i intent to be quite peacefull from here on.
Ill first research writing now so that my new towns can start working on the library and then hurry for math before philo. They will need their time for those libs anyways.
The guy across the water still hasnt send a unit to his beach but now i can embark so my spearman pays him a visit. I sell him 3 horses for 2 gold each but hold on to my extra salt for now. Hopefully i can trade it for different luxes somewhere.

T65. after writing i go for philo after all. With monarchy coming in 2 turns, i should be able to grow new york from 2-4 and washington 7-10.
Byblos has to stay size 3 for the time being but it doesnt have much food anyway and should focus on production to get his library done asap.

T67. Lighthouse ready, 3 fishing boats out there. 18 food, 17 production. Building a library and cargo ship now before NC. I purchase a trireme in New york for some scouting. Its time to meet people and trade luxes.
T73. Trireme meets portugal. Trade salt for silver. It may soon be time to expand again, but first the NC.

T76. From here i suppose its mostly a tech game. I dont even know what i will need for diplo victory yet, but i assume it happens in later ages.
So ill focus on tech. I guess my most significant mid term goal is university and observatory. If along the way i can also develop religion that might seems interesting to me too.
Chichen itza is also something i really like a lot even though civil service is maybe not the top priority with so little river and so much food from the water already.
But i guess its time to take a break now and read up on diplomatic victories before proceeding.

Research goals: Math(Courthouse) - Currency(petra) -Trapping(Camp) -Civil Service(Chichen if bored) - Education(University) - Compas(Harbors+gold) - Astronomy(Observatory) - Banking(Forbiden P) - Architecture
Maybe i can take a little sidetrack in the production boost tree, but probably after astro.

T83 My scouting spearmen come across an interestingly positioned barbarian archer quite similar to the interestingly positioned barbs in the north.
Surprisingly they allow my embarked spearmen to live, so i can discover the natural wonder they guard.

T87 NC finished - Oracle.
T96 Oracle - Petra. Golden age starts. Tradition complete.

T103 Petra finished.

All questions were answered in those timelenes.
PS posting above me. It is bold and in blue in the openingspost. It is explained in the introduction post. This thread is for the first 100 turns ! .....

157 turns into this save and I've encountered an interesting bug - I can no longer accept any research agreements. AI or I propose an agreement, I click accept, and then the trade screen resets and nothing happens - not game breaking, but very odd.

Anyone else encountered this, or just me?

Moderator Action: Moved to the Opening Action thread as the save was opened and played.

I started about 2 hours ago and I'm already 200 turns in. (it went really fast) The world congress just formed and I'm supposed to propose something, so that's a good place to stop for the night.

The starting location looked awesome. I moved my warrior to the west just to take a peek first, and settled in place. Started building a scout. My warrior had the whole island just about scouted by the time the scout was finished, so the scout pretty much was just a sentry to keep barbs from popping up. I started building a monument, then when pottery was finished I switched to a shrine, then finished the monument. There were so many fish tiles I took God of the Sea for my pantheon, and mainly based on that I decided to go for Stonehenge. (didn't want to miss out on a religion and lose all that production when somebody converted my cities)

I settled 3 cities on my island. Since I had Notre Dame, I was able to afford a 4th city on a 1-tile island that I found after Astronomy that has lots of fish, and a natural wonder 3 tiles away, but no luxury resource. That might have been a mistake because there was another island I could have settled instead that would give me silk, but less fish and no wonders. It also would be forward-settling one of the AI's that I'm not ready to make angry yet.

Went full Tradition and then Exploration and Maritime Infrastructure. Then Rationalism. I plan on switch back to Exploration and finish it after Secularism. (I never go Exploration, doing it this time just to be different)

I've got 7 wonders so far: Stonehenge, Mausoleum, Hanging Gardens, Petra, Notre Dame, Machu Picchu, and Leaning Tower. (The mausoleum was just to soak up excess production in my capital while waiting for New York to finish something)

Spoiler :
I planned to build Petra in New York because it had a lot of desert tiles; didn't realize the city tile has to be on or adjacent to a desert tile. (I know it says that right in the description, but I thought you just had to have desert in your cultural borders) But Washington was settled on a desert hill, so I built Petra there. It overlaps several of New York's desert tiles.

I sent my trireme out exploring. but most of the civs found me. I didn't really explore much until I hit Astronomy and upgraded my trireme to a caravel. When I researched Printing Press I was surprised that I didn't open the World Congress, but there was still one civ that I hadn't met yet.

My religion is God of the Sea, Tithe, Feed the World, Religious Texts, and Divine Inspiration. I used my 2nd prophet to spread religion to New York, Bylbos, Hanoi, and the AI capital that's near Hanoi. The last two were high enough population they each came up short by one, but they converted fairly quickly via trade routes. It then spread by itself to all the AI cities and CS's in that area because there was no competition in that part of the map. Pretty good, seeing that I founded the religion just to preserve my pantheon :)

I plan to take the Freedom ideology by Oxford'ing Radio, and using Treaty Organization to steal all the CS's while beelining Globalization. I'm researching Navigation right now; I'm a close 2nd place in science, but there are several very cheap techs on the bottom row that I haven't researched yet. Someone else entered the Renaissance first but I've caught up and I've been killing spies right and left.

I'm playing totally peacefully so far, and I don't see any real threats yet so I barely have any military at all. I'll need at least a few frigates soon, just in case.

ETA:
Spoiler :
Portugal and Greece have both sent prophets to my largest city and converted it. I told them not to do that and they agreed, but then Greece did it again 5 or 6 turns later. We have a declaration of friendship that must have started the turn before he sent the 1st GP because it has 43 turns left, so if I denounce him that makes me the bad guy.

Now that I have caravels frigates and privateers out and about, I'm finding lots of CS's and they are all strongly allied to Portugal. I'm researching Refrigeration right now (a bit out of order because I don't have Replaceable Parts or Plastics yet), so I can buy a hotel in Washington and start spamming submarines for when I have to declare war on one of them in the near future. I have the smallest military, so when I declare war they should immediately send waves of ships and embarked units at me. I'm stockpiling cash (got about 10000 gold in the bank) to buy-out key CS's first, and to survive my cargo ships all getting plundered.

Poland just pick the Order ideology and I'm getting 6 unhappiness from that, and I don't have a lot of happiness to spare because my cities are so large. I'm almost finished building the Eiffel Tower, and that should help. I'm still 3 policies away from Treaty Organization, but I should be able to get a free one from the World's Fair.

I wanted to get Sailing quickly and use triremes to explore. I settled in place and built a scout but it's a small island with no barbarians so my scout and warrior sat for a while until Optics.

I did go for early religion: Tradition, Piety to build the shrine, Aristocracy for the Great Library, Organized Religion to get the God-King pantheon and then a single Honor once the trireme found barbarians offshore.

It looks like money is the best opportunity right now. I'm building the Colossus and trading single horses to whoever will pay two gold. I expect to have to shift into military mode soon because the attackers will be getting ready.

The mid-game plan is to beeline Astronomy, both for the observatory and to get around Portugal which is blocking all the shallow sea routes.

The only surprise was the scarcity of barbarians: rare rather than raging.

Similar city positioning and pop to vadalaz, but different development path. I moved Washington closer to the Salts -> this is probably [un]necessary due to the American UA.

I went tradition + earth mother. This gave me a religion (Tithe + Happy Temples). I completely forgot about the Great Library until it was too late. Tradition should start to pay off over the next 50 turns as I grow.

t100
Spoiler :

I'm very curious to see how some of the better gang played the later parts seeing as valadaz finished 40 turns ahead of me

Spoiler :

HG went much earlier in my game.

@stormtrooper

Spoiler :
I went Education -> Navigation, meanwhile getting a +100 gold religion and building Borobudur to get enough money for Frigate upgrades. Went after Portugal first and annexed Lisbon because it's a pretty good city.

Next was the PP beeline and delay. My rule of thumb is to finish PP when I'm able to get to Sci Theory in 10 turns afterwards with one bulb (so typically I take Acoustics and Banking first). For a 1-cycle game you have 32-34 turns after PP to finish up all the techs, so 10 turns to get ST, 10 turns to build schools, 8 turns to get max bulb value and then a few turns to bulb usually works fine. You can delay less if you have a kickass empire and/or are able to buy schools once they're available. You need to delay more or just go for 2 cycles if you think you can't finish Rationalism in time, or you have very low production, or if the conquest is going slowly etc.

Once you reach Industrial it's a good idea to invest into cultural CSs and pop a GA. This maximizes your culture output (and helps build schools quicker) so you can just burn your GWs once the golden age ends. For ideology I took Freedom because the extra influence from unit gifts is a very good tenet for warlike Diplo, and it's nice to work all the specialists and still grow a bit.

Having a warmonger AI to gift cities you capture helps so much. You avoid the stupid 5% science penalty and all the unhappiness issues. I should've let Genghis live after killing his units. Another huge mistake was getting the second army too late to kill Sweden... And another thing I should've done was to declare war on AIs far away from me and take their cities in peace deals (and subsequently gift them to Mongolia).

Faith requirement is just 1000 for one scientist. Usually that + Rati finisher + LToP and PT + natural-born scientists is enough. Sometimes it's overkill, other times you lose the race by 1 turn, depends on how strong your empire is. I've lost by 1 turn way too many times, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :lol:

Diplomacy means go for science and gold. So on this map, cargo ship trade routes will be important. America isn't really suited to a diplomatic victory or a water map, so not much of a boost there. Maybe go to war to get some benefit from America's UUs.

Moved the warrior due west which was lucky because that was the perfect site for the capital. Six fish, so huge amounts of food and three luxury resources, so it will be a good trade route city.

Settled on the coastal forested river tile, north of the mountain. First build was a worker, because improving each salt gets me +1F and +1P.

I didn't build a scout and it wasn't necessary. My warrior had explored most of the island by turn 20. I also prioritised naval technologies much more than I normally do.

Buy the salt tiles and work them as fast as possible. (I used the gold from discovering Byblos to buy the first salt tile on turn 2). Get a pantheon. Build triremes to go exploring, meet other civs and defend sea trade routes.

Went for mining to improve the salt and then beelined to writing because the GL goes fast on Emperor and you can't mess about. Masonry to get a GL production boost (GL was almost built by the time I'd connected the marble) then beelined optics. Chose philosophy as GL tech. Next went for mathematics (Hanging gardens), then went for education.

This was the hardest decision. The map screams liberty (lots of smallish cities) and American tile buying goes well with that too. However, getting to the end of the tech tree means tradition. In the end I went for tradition and was glad I did, since Washington had the potential to grow fairly large.

GL, NC, Great Lighthouse, HG, Oracle, Colossus. I got them all. I was quite surprised to get the Colossus, as I was very late to iron working. Obviously, Egypt is not in this game. Not sure I should have got the Great Lighthouse - probably a bit of wonder addiction there. The lighthouse made a huge difference to my 6 fish, so might have been better to build an ordinary lighthouse and get the fish boost quicker. First time I ever managed to build the NC without having founded another city. I wanted to build some more national wonders before founding a city, but didn't manage that. When I saw where the iron was I founded a city to get at that. Frigates!

I was going to go for Earth Mother, but God of the Sea was just too tempting. An extra 6P in my capital! Again I'm glad I did. I'd never have got the first religion working just 2 salt and pagodas went 1st. I got the 4th religion and monasteries which is probably what I'd have picked anyway, when pagodas weren't available. I was mainly going for a religion to decrease the speed that City State influence falls when you share religion, but it turned out not to be that important anyway, since only Byblos was near enough o be sure of it keeping the faith.

Still on the island, in that I haven't founded a city elsewhere. Lisbon looks like a nice third city. Managed to explore all of Sweden's lands and to the west of that, but not much of any interest over there apart from a barb camp and a couple of ruins. Toyed with the idea of settling a city around Sri Pada, but decided there's not enough land and production.

- Any surprises?
No barbs on my island and not many around generally. Actually had to build a barracks.
Lots of fish are a powerhouse. Washington is probably the fastest growing city I ever had. Definitely think I could have got away with just having Washington for the first 100 turns.

Top Bottom