Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

IPS tech is considered "slower" than TN panels as far as pixel response but this is another thing that on a higher end IPS panel, you might not actually notice. But a higher end IPS will cost you. If you could spend $500 to $800 you could check all the boxes you linked earlier.

I'd still say get that Acer refurbished deal you linked earlier so long as you can return it. Sometimes too much choice can be paralyzing and you just need to decide.

The monitor I linked is only $469 as of yesterday :p

If you don't want to spend big you might go with one of those basic 1080p60 IPS panels I posted for ~$130.

The problem with G-sync is that it locks you in to Nvidia GPUs and if you want to upgrade your GPU in 2018 for example you will be heavily pushed to another Nvidia GPU even if it's not the most effective price/performance option. I guess you can say the same about Freesync, except Freesync isn't jacked up in price compared to non-async monitors. It's more like a nice bonus in case you use AMD in the future.

Also, while I don't doubt the IPS panel ghosting or whatever, that was on an iMac... an all-in-one platform never intended for gaming anyway. I never noticed it on my 1080p-60 IPS or currently on my ultrawide, which both have a 5ms response time. iMac from 2011 seems to have a 12ms response time, which is indeed awful - the recommended maximum is 8ms for gaming, that's when you'll start noticing problems. Again, none have appeared for me.

As much as I'm arguing against TN, I agree with illram, if you can get some kind of guarantee or possibility to return it if you don't like it, then pick *something* up and get some real world experience, see if it's good for you.

The proprietary nature of adaptive sync is indeed annoying and Nvidia has been trying to lock gamers into their stuff for years, and they are going to keep trying. Adaptive sync (Freesync) is actually built into the display port 1.2a platform so Nvidia could easily adopt it, but they won't ever do that. So functionally you are locked into AMD or Nvidia no matter which tech you choose, if you want to continue using the technology in a later card purchase.

Also, while I don't doubt the IPS panel ghosting or whatever, that was on an iMac... an all-in-one platform never intended for gaming anyway. I never noticed it on my 1080p-60 IPS or currently on my ultrawide, which both have a 5ms response time. iMac from 2011 seems to have a 12ms response time, which is indeed awful - the recommended maximum is 8ms for gaming, that's when you'll start noticing problems. Again, none have appeared for me.

Specced response times on monitors are completely and utterly worthless.

Only go by what reputable reviewers measure for both response time and input lag.

The proprietary nature of adaptive sync is indeed annoying and Nvidia has been trying to lock gamers into their stuff for years, and they are going to keep trying. Adaptive sync (Freesync) is actually built into the display port 1.2a platform so Nvidia could easily adopt it, but they won't ever do that. So functionally you are locked into AMD or Nvidia no matter which tech you choose, if you want to continue using the technology in a later card purchase.

Well, Intel will likely support FreeSync.

Does this mean my processor can use free sync?

Something is wrong with my internet and I'm pretty sure my father is to blame...

I can't access fiftychat.com because it gives me an error code (it never did this before). On omegle.com it doesn't accept my college chat. The internet technically works, but it has problems.

My father has over 1,000 facebook friends with the god-damn Bernie sanders people and he accepts literally anyone, including hackers who are probably ruining our internet.

How can I fix this?

when I go to omegle and type in my college email it says "Tech error. Sorry. local variable 'dns' referenced before assignment :("

When I go to fiftychat.com it gives an error 404.

Firefox has declared Youtube Unblocker (an extension that gets around geoblocking on youtube) to be "unsafe" and told me it should be disabled, but I can't find any news as to why. Anyone heard anything? This extension was really useful and I'm missing it since it's been removed.

Apparently since it works by swapping your IP address with other users, they can download cp and other illegal activities and have it blamed on you. Since they're using your IP. In the eyes of the law, you downloaded it.

Personally I think that's a load of crap and about as likely as other internet predators. OMG don't talk to anyone ever they're all pedophiles! All of them! :crazyeye:

OK, I concede the point. That's essentially what I was told about why hola was "dangerous".

Apparently since it works by swapping your IP address with other users, they can download cp and other illegal activities and have it blamed on you. Since they're using your IP. In the eyes of the law, you downloaded it.

I'd heard that about "Hola!" but not "Youtube Unblocker." I guess it makes sense since they basically do the same thing.

The wifi network that my university has requires all users to download and install a policy key before being able to access the internet.

I've done this but about every other time I try and access the internet, the network demands that I re-download and re-install it. It's totally random and the network sometimes even lets me on the internet for a while before it decides, 'nope, now you gotta install the policy key'.

This is extremely disruptive and I don't know how to make it stop. How do I make the network recognize that I have already downloaded and installed the network key?

Here's a question. I'm building a new computer, and would the Nvidia 970, or the AMD r9 390 be a better card? Both seem to be around the same performance and price point, and i'm having trouble deciding.

Here's a question. I'm building a new computer, and would the Nvidia 970, or the AMD r9 390 be a better card? Both seem to be around the same performance and price point, and i'm having trouble deciding.

390 wins most benchmarks (barely) and has more memory and seems to be the favorite on a lot of hardware forums where this question is asked. If power consumption, noise, or size are important to you though, the 970 wins as it does not need a very beefy PSU, is quieter (depending on the card), and there are short "ITX" variants if you have a small case or want more room in your case. Also there is the occasional weird game that performs better on one card or the other, e.g. Project Cars I believe did not play nice with AMD hardware although they may have fixed that by now.

If you game at 1080p you won't really notice a difference though.

How long until your next upgrade? The 390 will have better longevity with its increased VRAM, Shadow of Mordor and GTA V both use ~3-3.3GB right now, unmodded. Mods add way more depending on the game, Skyrim is a good example. And the 970 only has 3.5gb worth.

Top Bottom