Just started playing again - question

Christopher116

Chieftain
Just downloaded Civ3 after a few years of not playing. First game I played went great, just like old times. Now whenever I start a game the same things happen: when I go to a goody hut it is always angry barbarians. Every single time. And when I encounter an AI opponent they somehow have an army of 5-10 guys and multiple cities even though it's only been a couple of turns. Anyone else experiencing this? It makes it frustrating to play!

It is just a combination of bad luck and high difficulty setting. At higher settings AI starts with extra units such as workers(starting at emperor), settlers(starting at demigod) and of course some military(starting at king). Also your chances of good outcomes at huts decline while chances of AI stay normal. At very high settings goody huts are essentialy only good for AI.

If you play at regent chances at goody huts for you and AI are the same. If you go below regent chances are better for you than for AI.

Just downloaded Civ3 after a few years of not playing. First game I played went great, just like old times. Now whenever I start a game the same things happen: when I go to a goody hut it is always angry barbarians. Every single time. And when I encounter an AI opponent they somehow have an army of 5-10 guys and multiple cities even though it's only been a couple of turns. Anyone else experiencing this? It makes it frustrating to play!
- difficulty settings (as explained above)
- starting position. If you start next to a desert, a swamp and a tundra, chances are the civ starting a next to a pot of gold, a cow and a wheat is going to have a better start.

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was set on a high difficulty level by accident but I checked--it's been set to chieftain the whole time. Just bad luck I guess!

That would be a lot of bad luck. Chances of angry barbarians at chieftain are no more than 10%. AI having multible cities after a couple of turns seems unlikely aswell. Chances are that AI needs 40 turns before the capital reaches 3 citizens. Before then it cannot finish a settler. So AI being strong after a couple(?) of turns is highly unlikely.

What is your barbarian setting?

Sounds more like Diety to me.

Are you 'patched' up?

And when I encounter an AI opponent they somehow have an army of 5-10 guys and multiple cities even though it's only been a couple of turns.

As already mentioned: impossible on Chieftain. Sounds more like Deity or Sid level... ;)
If you have a .sav file of the game, you can open it with CivAssistII and it will tell you what difficulty level it was played in.

If your rusty after not playing for awhile i would just play some chieftain-monarch, it could be difficulties or really bad luck, and usually the village thingies ambush me to.

Top Bottom