Want an easy way to play Civ V online? Say hello to Giant Multiplayer Robot! (GMR)

Hey KiffeLesBiffles, that's great news! Good luck and have fun with your game, it looks like you have a great community there! :)

With the issue you're seeing, are you trying to take a screen shot of Civilization V or the GMR application? I'm not aware of anything that would prevent you from taking a screen shot of either but I would be happy to try and help you troubleshoot it!

Hey KiffeLesBiffles, that's great news! Good luck and have fun with your game, it looks like you have a great community there! :)

With the issue you're seeing, are you trying to take a screen shot of Civilization V or the GMR application? I'm not aware of anything that would prevent you from taking a screen shot of either but I would be happy to try and help you troubleshoot it!

A screen shot of civ V. It does not crash when I take a screen shot in normal MP games.

I'm not sure what would cause the game to crash at this point, but I do believe that by default the Civ V hotkey for doing a quick-load is the same as Steam's screenshot key: F12

Try rebinding the quick-load key in Civ V to something else and see if that helps.

Hi Mel. No bugs to report, but did you forget about our game? The turn has been with you for a while...a day or so? Are you subscribed to our game thread?

Just checking. :)

Hey, I just started reading this thread, I might try it out later. I don't really know how steam chatrooms work but maybe you can find a way to incorporate something like this so the players can notify a player that it is their turn? That could potentially help the games being slow/immobile due to a player not playing.

Hi Mel. No bugs to report, but did you forget about our game? The turn has been with you for a while...a day or so? Are you subscribed to our game thread?

Just checking. :)

No I haven't forgotten about it :)

I've had a super-busy weekend remodeling parts of our house, so it's been a about a day since I've gotten on. GMR did notify me that it was my turn though. :)

And I actually don't think I'm subscribed to our game thread, I'll have to remedy that ;)

No bugs to report, this service as been amazing so far, thank you so much for the hard work!

I know you guys are just getting off the ground, but I have to ask: Is there any feasibility to an OSX app for this?

No bugs to report, this service as been amazing so far, thank you so much for the hard work!

I know you guys are just getting off the ground, but I have to ask: Is there any feasibility to an OSX app for this?

You are so welcome, thank you for the feedback!

We have considered re-creating our desktop application in a OSX friendly technology such as Adobe AIR. But to be honest, that's a little ways down the road. In the near future however we are planning on implementing downloading and submitting save files via the website, which should allow you to play your turns on OSX, however a little more inconvenient.

Hi m4stermel, I love the idea of the service! Very much interested in multiplayer, but the normal simultaneous multiplayer game style never appealed to me. So I'm trying out participating in some public games on your site, but I'm running into some problems. I've also posted on the Steam group page, but thought I would cross-post here, in case you are checking here more often.

I've tried downloading my first turns in two games (not at the same time of course). Neither of them was I able to load up in the game effectively. The first one downloaded but then the game would crash after sitting on the load screen with the globe rotating for many minutes. The second one downloaded, and the load screen cleared normally, but then I was presented with a dialog box (in-game) titled "Next Player's Turn" -- below the title was the user name for the previous player in the game with a space to enter a password. Whether I entered my password or not, the "continue" button remained grayed out and inactive. I could save the game, but when I saved it over the original file the Multiplayer Robot app thought it was time to submit the turn. I ended up forcing the game to quit, and am a little lost on where to go from here.

Some potentially important details:
1) in both games' cases, the load screen was for Japan despite the fact that I wasn't shown as having been assigned Japan in either game. In the second game, the previous player in order is Japan, but that was not the case for the first game. I was assigned Germany in the first game, Egypt in the second.
2) I'm running CiV with the latest patch on Windows 7.
3) I loaded the game file through the "Hot Seat" option under "Multiplayer" in CiV -- is this in error?

I really appreciate any guidance at all -- I'd love to be able to play CiV by e-mail ...

Thanks!!!

You are so welcome, thank you for the feedback!

We have considered re-creating our desktop application in a OSX friendly technology such as Adobe AIR. But to be honest, that's a little ways down the road. In the near future however we are planning on implementing downloading and submitting save files via the website, which should allow you to play your turns on OSX, however a little more inconvenient.

Awesome. Yeah no worries, I was purely curious if there were any plans regarding it. I've already got my Windows partition setup anyways for Gods and Kings anyways so it isn't a huuuuuuge deal. My OCD just likes everything under one roof. ^_^

Thanks again!

Awesome. Yeah no worries, I was purely curious if there were any plans regarding it. I've already got my Windows partition setup anyways for Gods and Kings anyways so it isn't a huuuuuuge deal. My OCD just likes everything under one roof. ^_^

Thanks again!

Yeah I totally understand, cheers! :)

Hi m4stermel, I love the idea of the service! Very much interested in multiplayer, but the normal simultaneous multiplayer game style never appealed to me. So I'm trying out participating in some public games on your site, but I'm running into some problems. I've also posted on the Steam group page, but thought I would cross-post here, in case you are checking here more often.

Thanks! I hope you like the service and that we can get your problems figured out. I do try to keep up on all the forums and will respond to questions and requests as fast as I can! You can also reach me pretty easily by emailing support@multiplayerrobot.com :)

I've tried downloading my first turns in two games (not at the same time of course). Neither of them was I able to load up in the game effectively. The first one downloaded but then the game would crash after sitting on the load screen with the globe rotating for many minutes.

Could you email me the save file that was downloaded for this game? It's possible that someone found a new character or symbol in their password/name that Civ V doesn't like.

The second one downloaded, and the load screen cleared normally, but then I was presented with a dialog box (in-game) titled "Next Player's Turn" -- below the title was the user name for the previous player in the game with a space to enter a password. Whether I entered my password or not, the "continue" button remained grayed out and inactive. I could save the game, but when I saved it over the original file the Multiplayer Robot app thought it was time to submit the turn. I ended up forcing the game to quit, and am a little lost on where to go from here.

This one sounds like the previous user did not save the game correctly when submitting their turn. Let me know what the name of the game is and I'll revert the turn, allowing the previous player to play their turn again and hopefully get it right this time!

Some potentially important details:
1) in both games' cases, the load screen was for Japan despite the fact that I wasn't shown as having been assigned Japan in either game. In the second game, the previous player in order is Japan, but that was not the case for the first game. I was assigned Germany in the first game, Egypt in the second.
2) I'm running CiV with the latest patch on Windows 7.
3) I loaded the game file through the "Hot Seat" option under "Multiplayer" in CiV -- is this in error?

I really appreciate any guidance at all -- I'd love to be able to play CiV by e-mail ...

Thanks!!!

Yeah #1 seems to be an incorrectly submitted save. Something to try though to make sure there's no hangups on your end is to completely close the GMR desktop application and go to 'My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\hotseat' and delete '(GMR) Play this one!.Civ5Save' as well as everything in the 'GMR Temp' folder.

Yes, attempting to load the game through "Hot Seat" under "Multiplayer" in CiV is the correct way to go! Good luck with everything, we'll get this figured out I'm sure! :)

Could you email me the save file that was downloaded for this game? It's possible that someone found a new character or symbol in their password/name that Civ V doesn't like.

File is on its way to you ... not a huge deal either way since the other players in the game look to have resigned before I got the turn anyways, is all AI players now ...

This one sounds like the previous user did not save the game correctly when submitting their turn. Let me know what the name of the game is and I'll revert the turn, allowing the previous player to play their turn again and hopefully get it right this time!

Included this info in the e-mail too, but the game is named "Stuff"

Yeah #1 seems to be an incorrectly submitted save. Something to try though to make sure there's no hangups on your end is to completely close the GMR desktop application and go to 'My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\hotseat' and delete '(GMR) Play this one!.Civ5Save' as well as everything in the 'GMR Temp' folder.

giving it a shot now ...

Yes, attempting to load the game through "Hot Seat" under "Multiplayer" in CiV is the correct way to go! Good luck with everything, we'll get this figured out I'm sure! :)

Eggs-ellent! Thanks much

Excellent, I got your email and will look into the game and save file you sent me. I'll let you know what I find! :)

Hey Mel,

today, I got this error trying to go on the website.

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parser Error
Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Expected a "{" but found a "w". Block statements must be enclosed in "{" and "}". You cannot use single-statement control-flow statements in CSHTML pages. For example, the following is not allowed:

@if(isLoggedIn)
<p>Hello, @user</p>

Instead, wrap the contents of the block in "{}":

@if(isLoggedIn) {
<p>Hello, @user</p>
}

Source Error:

Line 18:
Line 19: if (nextPlayer != null)
Line 20: whoIsNext = nextPlayer.TurnOrder;
Line 21: }
Line 22:

Source File: /Views/Shared/BaseGame.cshtml Line: 20

Do you know where it comes from ?

Oh dear, that will teach me to never publish new code to the website without fully vetting it! I'm sorry you had to see that :(

Apparantly in the code I had published this morning to fix another bug a user was seeing I inadvertently created a worse one. Oh well, it should be fixed now! Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention! :)

Oh dear, that will teach me to never publish new code to the website without fully vetting it! I'm sorry you had to see that :(

Apparantly in the code I had published this morning to fix another bug a user was seeing I inadvertently created a worse one. Oh well, it should be fixed now! Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention! :)

Yep it is working thx !

Top Bottom