How to change username

and why would you want to do that?
so you can troll and quit in games and then change name and do it all over again without ppl knowing it?

Moderator Action: Please don't accuse other members of wanting to troll. Either answer the question or don't; impugning motives is not going to benefit anyone.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

and why would you want to do that?
so you can troll and quit in games and then change name and do it all over again without ppl knowing it?

Ok, it's not because if you knew how to do it, that's the only reason you will do it.

But in my case: it's because I'm tired to be called: utilisateur, who is the french of: user... It's not a name

I just want my Alias...

Thx for others who will have my answer :)

Let me guess, you have Windows 8? The steam profile name works in windows 7, but for some reason in Windows 8 it seems to use your windows user account name or something. Not having windows 8 I don't know how to change this (only know about it because a friend of mine encountered it and he couldnt be bothered to figure it out since he only plays lan with me)

Let me guess, you have Windows 8? The steam profile name works in windows 7, but for some reason in Windows 8 it seems to use your windows user account name or something. Not having windows 8 I don't know how to change this (only know about it because a friend of mine encountered it and he couldnt be bothered to figure it out since he only plays lan with me)

No... I'm still at windows 7... it s just when I host a game, my alias is always Utilisateur... but when I join a game, it's ok.

This bug also occurs on Win7. My gf couldn't rejoin the first game we played because it renamed her from the windows account name to her steam name, so we had to start over.

Then we saved that game and tried to load it later, her user name was then reset back to the windows profile name instead of the steam name.

Then at least I figured out I could kick the saved user for her civ so she could continue with her different name again.

On my computer, it's always my Windows profile name in Civ, never my steam user name.

Sounds like some kind of fallback as if you aren't currently logged into Steam. Are you running Stema in offline mode?

For example, when I run a pitboss server without Steam, it makes the Pitboss host my Windows user account name. This appears to be by design.

But with Steam running in online mode, I think it should use your Steam name for sure!

I have the same problem. I recently did a fresh installation (Windows 7), and then noticed that my in-game name is my Windows username, not my Steam username.
And I'm quite sure that before my in-game name was my Steam username (or maybe I manually changed it to be that, not sure).

So does anybody know how to change it?
I tried changing "in-game alias" in config.ini in Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5, but that didn't do anything.

I'm quite sure Civ5 can use the Steam name, because I had that before.

Might this explain the issue? (from the 2K forums)
You will only use your Windows username while in LAN games. Internet games will continue to use your steam name. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to change that at this time.

Top Bottom