Beyond warmongering

Very interesting, do you actually try to prevent your neighbour from trading these resources by allying against (or with) the AIs that have them?

If you're ahead in techs, you could make a RoP and put a unit on their resource before they know it's there. Or if the tile already has a road, start a short war, pillage it, then make peace.

On higher levels, my cavalry army always meet musketmen or even riflemen.
True, but on higher levels your swordsmen might already meet pikes instead of spearmen. And 3 vs 3 is worse than 6 vs 4 and still worse than 6 vs 6 plus retreat chance.

Very interesting, do you actually try to prevent your neighbour from trading these resources by allying against (or with) the AIs that have them?
Yes, we just have a case like this in our Acronym SG. We pillaged their saltpeter ahead of time and now we are about to make trade embargoes to prevent them from getting it elsewhere. (Should probably have done it a bit earlier.)

If you're ahead in techs, you could make a RoP and put a unit on their resource before they know it's there. Or if the tile already has a road, start a short war, pillage it, then make peace.

"Resource denial" with non-military units like scouts or workers is a banned exploit under GOTM rules, because the AI has no way of evicting those units. Using a military unit, however, should be fine, as the AI can always say "leave or declare". Not sure what the rule says about signing a RoP and then blocking their resource?! Got to re-read them occasionally...

Lancelot - I liked your iron cut off thing. Maybe another thread, but very funny. Cut the road to your own iron supply, build warriors, re-connect and upgrade to cheapo swordsmen. LOL. That one shouldn't be allowed either being too far from, err .. 'real life'. I would allow it only if the new swordsman gave himself away by making the warrior roar when promoted to veteran so all the other units could see he was an upstart :D

Playing the Koreans at Monarch level, small map, and resolutely going for maximum speed scientific research (building libraries and universities and as many scientific wonders as possible) I found their combo of scientific and commercial traits enabled me to navigate a game with virtually no war at all, aside from a short skirmish in the early phases. You can 'conquer' neighbours with the culture the libraries produce and race to launch the space ship or (as I did to alleviate the monotony) mass produce ICBMs and blow everything to smithereens :D (not exactly a non-war mongering stratagem, admittedly, but always fun!!!)

Is there a record for earliest date launching the space ship? I just managed it in the 18th century but, knowing this place, I expect that will induce no more than an indulgent smile. So, what is it? Also, surely not a first, but I was still 10 turns into my GA when it went up, having dozily forgotten about it until I built the Internet or something.

Probably somewhere on here...

Hall of Fame, Space VC, Small map

Yup, there it is -- at Monarch level, the best date is 950 AD, using the Persians in Vanilla, with Greece launching their ship 110 years (22T?) later in C3C -- the difference may have something to do with the ability of MGLs to rush Wonders in Vanilla. Bear in mind though, that a lot of the HoF entries have been deliberately set up with a specific VC in mind, i.e. Map conditions and AI opponents selected for maximum probability of success, and with maps re-generated until a nice start position is obtained.

So for a Space game, you might select all SCI opponents (for the free techs), an Archipelago Map, so they won't be able to talk to each other and tech-swap early on (while you're still catching up on their starting bonuses), and an 80%-water and/or Humid 5 bn-yr world so that they get lots of coast/rivers for extra commerce/research, but slowed expansion from the Jungles/Marsh...

Spoiler-tagging my own shameless :smug:
Spoiler :
In my first Random-Emp game (as the Dutch, Small 60% Continents, Random Opponents+Barbs) I'm about to launch my ship in 1745 AD. Which is not great, but... actually, now that I look at it, is not far below Brennan's date of 1720 AD as the Celts on this difficulty+mapsize... Not sure this game is submittable though, seeing as I've done several reloads to correct careless mistakes (e.g. accidentally reassigning a tech-target 2T before completion of my current project).

I got the tech lead and could actually have gone full Con/Dom about 300-400 years earlier than that, but I was hoping for a Diplo vic. Although I had infuriated the Koreans by annexing 4 of their cities (one of which was blocking my expansion, one of which was next to the 2nd of the 3 Iron-Hills on our Continent -- I'd already taken one from the Arabs, the Koreans also had the 3rd), I'd managed to stay on good terms with the Japs and Byzzies for almost the entire game. But shortly before I got Fission, and despite my superior military (I had masses of Cavs and Infs by that point), the Japs DoW'd me, apparently for the sake of capturing one lousy unguarded tundra-farm (using a Spear that I'd tolerated on my territory for centuries). I got Tanks before the war ended, so they ended up losing nearly all their Carthaginian conquests on their home Continent, plus a few remote resource-towns.

Although the Byzzies were still Polite, they ended up 2nd-placed in Pop (after me), so wouldn't have voted for me. And just to cap all, after I'd decided to go for Space, I was then forced to beat them up as well (my Tanks, Cav-Armies, ModArms and MechInfs vs. their Cavs and Infs!), because 'Dora DoW'd me immediately after -- during the same IBT! -- I'd agreed to her Polite request for an RoP+MPP (the Japs and Koreans had agreed an MPP, so this was my precaution against renewed Jap aggression). I lost 1 Cav fortified on a Mountain, an rTank, and some terrain improvements. She lost every unit she left within my reach, and 3 cities (one on my Continent, one on an island just offshore, and the Arab's last city on her Continent).

I remember a famous game by DaveMcW, if I remember correctly, where he launched in the 600AD range...
That was on Chieftain, though. It was the first time that someone used the "research by scout" strategy to perfection, using the Russians (Expansionist + Scientific).

I remember a famous game by DaveMcW, if I remember correctly, where he launched in the 600AD range...
That was on Chieftain, though. It was the first time that someone used the "research by scout" strategy to perfection, using the Russians (Expansionist + Scientific).

I bet some explorer will one day happen upon an overgrown launch site somewhere in the Amazon rain forest that proves beyond all doubt the Inca or Maya or whatever were first into space around that time.

Ok, I found the old thread, here is the game I meant:

DaveMcW Space Race

Middle Age entered: 1990 BC
Industrial Age entered: 490 BC :eek::faint:
Modern Age entered: 370 AD
Spaceship launched: 570 AD

As can be seen in the HoF tables for Spaceship on Chieftain, after him 3 other people have re-implemented the same strategy and beat him slightly: 560, 550 and 530 AD. But he was the first, so I guess this game is really legendary... :goodjob:

Top Bottom