Is there a potential trade utility?

DamImLookinGood

Chieftain
I have CivAssist II but it does not assist me in figuring out which civilizations are willing to pay what amounts for peace, luxuries, workers, etc, and what amounts they are willing to sell those things to me, every turn. What software does that for me?

I recently played a game where I offered to give the Koreans 96 gold a turn and 96 coins where a bunch of technologies in exchange for a peace treaty. I then declared war on Korean and didn't have to pay my 96 coins again. You can find a link to this game here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13644444

I have CivAssist II but it does not assist me in figuring out which civilizations are willing to pay what amounts for peace, luxuries, workers, etc, and what amounts they are willing to sell those things to me, every turn. What software does that for me?
AFAIK, there aren't any programs that will tell you exactly what would be the best deal you could make (is this what you were asking about?). Since there could conceivably be hundreds (if not thousands) of possible trades at every turn, especially on larger maps/ epic games, I'm not even sure such a hypothetical software could be useful. But there are several tabs in CAII that give useful trade info -- 'Current trades' tells you what the AICiv(s) paid for stuff last time, 'Trade options' tells you who can sell what to whom (e.g. who has tech-monopolies, who needs StratRes/ Luxes, also shows current gold reserves), and the 'Technology' tab tells you the current (estimated) beaker cost of all techs.

Techs devalue according to how many Civs know them, so you'll get the best price(s) from the ignorant AICiv(s) which currently have the biggest Treasury(s): if selling a tech, you should sell it to everyone who can buy it, so work down that list from richest to poorest. For Luxes, you'll get the best prices from the biggest AICivs. For StratRes, you can pretty much scalp anyone who needs one (I prefer not to sell StratRes to my own nearest neighbours, but I will export them to aid smaller/weaker AICivs who can then gang up on would-be runaways-... sorry, defend themselves against unprovoked aggression).

So how much you can get from any particular trade is simply a question of deciding what you want to sell, and then haggling. Offer your asset to your chosen trade partner, and see what they'll put on the table. If you like the price (and/or want to keep the AI sweet -- at least for now), you can accept that offer immediately -- but you're certainly being short-changed. If you think they can afford more, double their price, and see what your Trade Advisor says. If that deal would still be acceptable, double the price again. If he thinks they would be insulted, split the difference between that and the last acceptable price, and see what he says now, etc. That way, you can zero in fairly quickly on the maximum price the AI will pay, although taking them for every penny you can get, may mean that they like you less afterwards.

Admittedly, this does take some time -- being able to scroll the value(s) in the 'Lump-sum' and/or 'GPT' box(es) would have been user-friendlier than having to retype them -- but trading is one of the essential mechanics of the Civ-series, and some of us quite like it! If the AI wants to buy Luxes or StratRes, sell each Resource as a separate trade if possible. Again it takes a little longer to negotiate, but you will usually earn more doing that than if you sold several Resources as a single package-deal.
I recently played a game where I offered to give the Koreans 96 gold a turn and 96 coins where a bunch of technologies in exchange for a peace treaty. I then declared war on Korean and didn't have to pay my 96 coins again.
Guess you're not fussed about keeping your trade-reputation intact then? ;)

Breaking 'per turn' deals (i.e. deals where you're transferring money or goods on a per turn basis) will make it (much) more difficult to get fair prices further down the line (whether lump-sum or GPT, buying or selling) -- and not just from the AICiv you stiffed, but from all the AICivs which had contact with your victim. If being able to trade will be important to you in the long-term (e.g. if you're going for Space or Diplo and need to be able to trade for StratRes or to keep the AICivs happy wihout warfare), breaking per-turn deals may be a Bad Idea. Similarly, if a war is going badly, and you need to make a (temporary!) PT while you regroup/rearm, and the AI wants a sweetener, it's better to pay a 'one-time' good (lump-sum gold or a tech if necessary), rather than offering GPT. That way, (I think, but happy to be corrected if wrong) you won't break your per-turn trade reputation if you reDoW before the PT expires (although the next PT will be more expensive). If the AI DoWs you though, and thus breaks a 'per-turner' from you to them, (I think) your reputation stays intact.

Since DoWs break all deals with your victim, ideally you should either avoid making such deals, or (ideally) wait until the mandatory 20T is up before you DoW. The AICivs seem to know this:
Spoiler :
I'm currently playing a Vanilla Emp game (randomly assigned as the Persians) on a Tiny Random map, and decided to go for Dom/Conquest.

I only had 2 Luxes in my immediate vicinity, so I'd researched and switched to Monarchy for mil-pol and minimal WW. The Indians hindered my western expansion, so I DoW'd them twice. The first campaign netted me all but 3 of their cities relatively painlessly, but I had to take Delhi to get to Bangalore and Madras. Since Delhi had been building the Pyramids (and Bangalore the Colossus), I'd hoped they wouldn't be very strongly defended -- but Delhi was on a Hill by a Lake, and at Pop8 its D-boosted Spears impaled a large stack of my Immortals (assisted by multi-Cat-bombardment and Horse-skirmishing) before the city finally fell.

On my eastern border I'd had several brushes with the Germans as well (they started it, both times). Having fought them off successfully and taken a useless 1-shield Jungle-town from them, they'd later offered a Lux-exchange deal which I'd accepted, and it was at 19T when Bismarck moved a Horse-stack (plus a couple of Knights) over my borders, heading inwards towards a relatively lightly-guarded core city (Pop10, 2 vPikes).

His timing was perfect (for me): All my remaining Immortals and Cats had been recalled from former India and mustered in my two border cities, around which I'd already cleared the Jungle on my side, in preparation for an invasion of my own. I'd also built a lot of Horses, both to assist with the Delhi assault and for upgrading to Knights once I finished researching Chivalry. I finessed my Sci% to get that tech just before the German Lux-deal finished, while also amassing ~600g for the first round of Horse-upgrades (and then dropping the Sci% to 10% for more cash for the remaining upgrades). My plan was to cancel the Lux-deal, DoW, then use my Immortal- and shiny new Knight-stacks to wipe out all Bismarck's fast-attackers as they staggered though the Jungle and crossed the River into my territory. I would then be free to press forwards into his territory with my own Stacks'o'Doom relatively unmolested.

But Bismarck saved me the trouble by invading first: my first boot-demand was ignored, and he DoW'd on the second -- after the Lux deal had reached 20T. One turn later, his first stack was fertiliser, and to my surprise no coherent follow-up stack appeared (only a few straggling Knights and Archers). Less than 10T down the line, I'd taken all 4 German cities between my borders and Berlin (with relatively few losses), founded two new border cities (better placed with respect to my RCP), and secured two new Luxes (one of which I was previously trading for). Cyrus appeared during the attack on Bonn, so I was finally able to Leader-rush my FP in Leipzig, both to prevent it from flipping, and to double the useful size of my core (I was already well over my OCN).

The last thing I did before saving was to make a temporary truce in return for all Bismarck's techs and gold. I'll spend the next 10-20T researching like mad, Settler-disbanding Hamburg, clearing Jungle around my new cities, before finishing off the Germans once and for all. Then Joanie better watch out, because as soon as I have Astro (and a stack of Galleys to upgrade), her continent is next...

Regarding breaking my reputation and ppt, I have discovered with the Portuguese in the game I have attached, I can offer to make peace with them (as I am at war with them) by offering them 100 ppt in exchange for technologies, and then declare war with them right away. And then again, they will actually come back a few turns later (even though they are a powerful civilization) and offer peace on bad terms, and I will do the same trick, and again declare war on them. Is there any other way to catch up to the huge technological advantage of my opponents in this game I am attaching?

tjs282, I thank you for your detailed response, however, with all of the research and work people have done in Civilization 3, why has no one figured out the calculations for trading with a civ? So that those statistics can be viewable by a calculator?

There are just so many questions I would have about civilizations like, what calculation is used for each civilization to determine how much they will pay per item? Per turn? How much they will sell? What they will sell (when they will sell cities) and when they will sell?

There must be an internal calculator that every civ has to figure out how much to pay you for your items, and vice versa, and which items it will sell or purchase at all. I remember in the original Civ 3, you were able to trade a captured major city for other small cities, then capture that same major city in the same turn. It was an exploit, basically you can take over an entire civ in one turn by only taking one city. Someone working in Conquests changed this bug, so that the Civ calculates differently (although I was able to get the city called Asyut from the Egpytians when they were asking to make peace for me and I accepted the peace along with Asyut). You can find Asyut in the mapfile I uploaded at the link above.

tjs282, I thank you for your detailed response, however, with all of the research and work people have done in Civilization 3, why has no one figured out the calculations for trading with a civ? So that those statistics can be viewable by a calculator?
Sorry I didn't see your answer until now.

Most of that work was done by programming enthusiasts, in their own time, for their own amusement/ gameplay improvement shortly after Civ3 was first released. And most (if not all) of the Civ3-utilities available from CFC started life as homebrew single-tool spreadsheets/ projects, which were only later integrated into larger multitool packages. Many of the individuals who did that work have long since moved on from Civ3 (or even from CFC), so have no further incentive to tinker/update -- which is unfortunate, but understandable, and probably inevitable.

Since all the AI-contact, civ-size, infrastructure-builds and knowledge info is in the save-file, it certainly should be possible to write a utility (or update an existing one) to calculate the in-game market prices for any given asset -- but maybe there simply wasn't ever sufficient demand/ incentive for someone to do the necessary research/ programming.
There are just so many questions I would have about civilizations like, what calculation is used for each civilization to determine how much they will pay per item? Per turn? How much they will sell? What they will sell (when they will sell cities) and when they will sell?
I can only give rough answers for most of this, based on my own observation and what I've read on here:

Alexman made a thread about tech-values: these are based on the base cost (which you can find in the Editor), multiplied by the various difficulty, map-size and other factors, and presumably also the desirability of that tech to that AI (if the tech enables an AICiv's UU, it gets a higher value).

Lux-values are based on how many additional 'Happy faces' that new Lux will provide across the buyer's total population (i.e. how big it is, how many Luxes he already has access to, and how many of his cities have Markets). I'm not sure how StratRes values are calculated, but I would assume it's at least partly weighted based on a Civ's aggression-level, and their Governor's build-priorities, and possibly also whether or not they're at war:
e.g.1. At least in the Ancient Age, I could imagine that a Civ which has 'build often' set for attackers, and/or one that needs Iron to build its UU -- might value Iron higher than one that builds more defenders (i.e. Spears), or has a non-Iron UU (e.g. Bowmen).
e.g.2. After it's unlocked Gunpowder, a more 'defensive' AICiv might value Saltpeter (Muskets) higher than a more 'offensive' AICiv would -- at least until MilTrad (Cavs etc.) has also been unlocked. Just guessing there, though.

Maps are (I believe) valued at east partly based on how many (more?) tiles of the world-map they expose to the buyer. Although I guess there's also a non-variable base-cost, because AFAIK it's (still) possible to sell your WorldMap to the same AI several times during the same turn, even if you haven't exposed anything new since the previous sale.

As far as calculating values for diplomatic agreements, I have no idea what's involved -- except that the value of an RoP is based on relative territory sizes.
There must be an internal calculator that every civ has to figure out how much to pay you for your items, and vice versa, and which items it will sell or purchase at all.
Yes indeed -- that's what your Foreign Advisor is comparing against when he assesses your offers to the AICivs, and how the AI-leader decides what it will give for something you're offering.

As far as I can tell, the AIs will never sell anything to the human player for a lower total than its calculated current market value for the human (at higher levels, AICivs do give each other trade discounts) -- but it doesn't care how it does that. So if you still have a clean trade-rep, the AI will make a 20T-deal any which way you like, so long as it's got the full value at the end of it, e.g. if an AICiv thinks that a Lux is worth 20gpt to you (i.e. 400g over 20T), any one of the following payment combinations would be acceptable:
  • a straight 400g payment up-front (I don't think the AICivs charge 'interest' if you have a clean rep -- although I could be wrong)
  • 20gpt
  • a tech worth 300g + 100g
  • a Resource worth 10gpt + 100g + 5gpt
And the AICivs always seem willing to buy something they want, if they can afford it -- and then DoW you, of course (especially if you sold at a lower price than you should have!) :rolleyes:

The only restrictions on sales come with AI attitude (a poorer attitude raises the prices it charges you) and your trustworthiness -- i.e. whether or not you've ever (been known to have) broken any kind of per-turn deal with anyone. If you have a busted trade-rep, the AI won't accept per-turn payments (gold or resources) in return for one-time goods (techs, workers, lump-sum gold, etc.) -- it will want up-front payment in one-time goods at current market value, and if you can't afford that, then tough. That said, it will (I believe) still sell per-turn goods for per-turn payments -- although at a higher price than if you still had an intact trade-rep (because if you break this deal, it no longer has to supply the goods)
I remember in the original Civ 3, you were able to trade a captured major city for other small cities, then capture that same major city in the same turn. It was an exploit, basically you can take over an entire civ in one turn by only taking one city. Someone working in Conquests changed this bug, so that the Civ calculates differently (although I was able to get the city called Asyut from the Egpytians when they were asking to make peace for me and I accepted the peace along with Asyut). You can find Asyut in the mapfile I uploaded at the link above.
With respect to city-sales, from what I've seen during my limited C3C experience, the C3C AIs will never sell cities, no matter how useless -- nor give them up to preserve themselves in the face of my obvious military superiority, for any price :crazyeye: The AICivs don't generally seem particularly keen on buying cities either, even when the asking-price is negligible (no 1-dollar real-estate deals here!) -- although they will happily take them as gifts. If you've done the AI sufficient damage, extorting (additional) cities during PT negotiations is possible, and I would assume you could also swap cities with them at that point, if you wanted to -- although having gone to the trouble to build/ capture your cities in the first place, I'm not sure when/ why this might be desirable.

Top Bottom