A fun fact - Original Wonders

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
I'm making a small project/scenario and I'm changing some of the Wonders (namely deleting and inserting European-centric ones as it's an expansion on ITR sxcenario from God and Kings)

Anyway, as I'm looking at the certain wonders I have noticed something very fascinating over here.

Chichen Itza was originally meant to have had the worker bonus from the Pyramids (increased worker rate)

Taj Mahal was meant to have increased the length of Golden Ages

and The Pyramids were meant to start a Golden Age.

Funny the things Devleopers leave.

Was that the original bonuses the Wonders had before the first several patches or was that a pre-release thing?

I would love to play the super super vanillav ersion of the game without a single patch.

I don't think he means carried over from Civ 3. I suspect he found some ghost code in the Civ V (vanilla?) code for Pyramids.

I was in fact the effect in civ2 too...
Anyone remember the DaVinci Workshop in civ 2!?!?
Freakin to powerfull!! haha

It's not "ghost" code rather than the fact that the Help tag references different wonders for those three. the "Help" tag on Wonders is what states their effects :3

Yeah, looking at the base game Civ 5 files, it does show <Help>TXT_KEY_WONDER_CHICHEN_ITZA_HELP</Help> in the entry for the pyramids (and same with the others).

Not sure if that tag means anything now though, since the one for the Hanging Gardens is commented out, and therefore no help text would show for that wonder, but we all know that isn't true.

Well, the Hanging Gardens, as far as I know, doesn't have an either passive or one off bonus, since they usually don't mention Yield changes (they omit things like +3 Science from GL, or +1 Culture from that). *shrugs* No idea. it's strange.

One could simply go backto Vanilla and construct the Hanging Gardens and see what happens :p

And for those curious :

Code:
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_WONDER_HANGING_GARDEN_HELP">
			<Text>+1 [ICON_CITIZEN] Population in all Cities.</Text>
		</Row>

I started a thread quite some time ago wondering about this exact thing. Right when V came out, the majority of the world wonders were TERRIBLE investments because the yields were laughable (there are those that say even now the wonders are poor investments but vanilla V out of the box took this to another level). I don't remember what the wonder bonuses were at release and nobody else seemed to have any record of it either. If I recall, I do remember Brandenburg Gate awarding you just a great general (without the XP bonuses we get in today's version). I can't recall the others but no doubt we would cringe looking at that information if it were somehow available.

Most wonders changed in bnw from vanilla. Some vanilla wonders look different than the bnw wonders along with the new wonders in bnw that had stuff that changed wonders.

The mix-mastering that TheKingOfBigOz refers to goes back to vanilla, so far as Taj Mahal, Pyramids, and Chichen Itza goes. The XML tags are "erroneous" for the three wonders in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\Gameplay\XML\Buildings/CIV5Buildings.xml* which is where the XML for Vanilla buildings and wonders is contained. Firaxis has kept the "erratic" XML-tag references even when releasing G&K and BNW.

My unprovable assumption (unprovable because my XPs with CIV5 don't reach that far back in real-world time) is that the erratic confusion related to these three wonders goes back to a vanilla pre-release state.

some excruciatingly pedantic further info of interest only to mod-makers really

*depending on your operating system the path will be a little different

I was in fact the effect in civ2 too...
Anyone remember the DaVinci Workshop in civ 2!?!?
Freakin to powerfull!! haha

Personally my favorite wonder, along with the Great Library (back when I didn't prioritize science) and the Great Lighthouse (cause I hate how the AI can move their triremes over oceans without a chance of dying).

Having 3 cheap warriors garrisoning each city, building DaVinci, researching gunpowder. Good Times :)
But the most op wonder in civ2 was the Sistine Chapel

The mix-mastering that TheKingOfBigOz refers to goes back to vanilla, so far as Taj Mahal, Pyramids, and Chichen Itza goes. The XML tags are "erroneous" for the three wonders in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\Gameplay\XML\Buildings/CIV5Buildings.xml* which is where the XML for Vanilla buildings and wonders is contained. Firaxis has kept the "erratic" XML-tag references even when releasing G&K and BNW.

My unprovable assumption (unprovable because my XPs with CIV5 don't reach that far back in real-world time) is that the erratic confusion related to these three wonders goes back to a vanilla pre-release state.

some excruciatingly pedantic further info of interest only to mod-makers really

*depending on your operating system the path will be a little different

Firaxian programmer #1: *Let's swap around the effects for these 3 wonders :thumbsup:*

Firaxian programmer #2: *But then we'd have to rename the names of the text-help tags! :undecide:*

Firaxian programmer #1: *No need buddy, just change which tag you're referencing in the other tables :cool:*

Firaxian programmer #2: *............. *

Firaxian programmer #1: *Did you fail Laziness101? :lol:*

Top Bottom