1st Immortal Victory!!

Congrats on your win on Immortal!

I hope to do the same one day... still looking for my first win on King :)

Good job!

...I hope to do the same one day... still looking for my first win on King :)...
Follow the 4-city Tradition approach and you should do OK. The key to this game is science and that is directly related to growth, especially your capital.
Growth
Completing Tradition grants a free Aqueduct in your first 4 cities, and you don't need to research Engineering to get them.
Temple of Artemis: probably the best wonder imo as it is a pre-eat modifier, all other bonuses to growth a post-eat.
River-side tiles: should be made farms even if they are hills or have jungle on them. Once Civil Service is research you have a potential 4 food tile there(grassland).
Cargo-ships: grant double the food for internal trade routes over caravans.
Maritime CS: allying or even befriending them give bonuses to food. This bonus is added to your cities base tile so is multiplied by the ToA.
Unhappiness: never go into unhappiness ever. In saying that you don't want a to early GA.
WLTK: try and get this in your capital for the entirety of the game.

Congrats on your win on Immortal!

I hope to do the same one day... still looking for my first win on King :)

Good job!

Just focus on the basic!
You should be ok!

Set up 4 good cities. Set yourself a goal. and workd your scienc and policies around that goal, and you will acieve it soon!

A month ago (like 8 games) I was still trying to achieve my 1st emperor domination victory... and failling several times on Immortal level. (7-8 times)

Now I totaly mastered emperor in every aspect of the game possible and Im at my 2nd back to back victory on Immortal, just by focussing on the small things I wasnt doing quiet perfectly. I have to admit my 2 vitories at Immortal are with very powerfull civs. (maya and babylon) But I tried Polland and Babylon several times before and failed.

Everything is in the small things and in a solid disciplined start!

GL... and if you need advices, ask it on the forum. Many things that helped to improve my game cam from Immortal and Diety players that answered my posts here and gave me the needed advices.

Also look for videos on youtube that might help.

Some dozen or so turns ago I saw Washington's forces beginning to surround my capital. He then asks if I can join him in war against Indonesia. Fearing the consequences of a "no" answer, I ask for 10 turns. Sure enough, he starts moving those surrounding forces into position towards Indonesia. I took that time to beef up my city defenses and be in a better position to crank out double-promoted units. Afterward, he asks for confirmation that I'm still on board. I said "yes".

So now I'm at war with Indonesia backing up Washington. I might be able to take a city while he wipes out the capital, but what then? I have little reason not to believe he won't just come for me next.
I know I made at least a few mistakes in this game, I'm just wondering if it's even salvageable.

Update! Turns out Indonesia wasn't much for fighting, I repelled a unit from my adjacent city with my machine gun, but didn't see much else. Didn't see many American offenses either. Meanwhile I spin up some units in anticipation of betraying Washington.

Then Poland makes it interesting by saying they're fed up with Washington, and want me to fight with them. I went and said sure! Met some of his cute little artillery units with a few of my rocket artillery, and fended off two advances. I thought for sure he'd be much more formidable, but I never even saw his navy. Eventually I called for a stop to this foolishness, and he wants a few luxuries in return for the peace treaty and HEY! -19 happiness?!? Fortunately I found enough trading partners to smooth that over.

That was a while ago, I'm now on turn 475, my science is north of 920, and I've built 2 SS parts. But 3 other guys have finished the Apollo Program. Will I have the time to finish research and construction? Will I need to resort to sabotage? Is more war in my future? Stay tuned...

Had my first Immortal victory this morning with Babylon. But I have to say, I am bit disappointed by the AI. It was a pretty easy and boring Science Victory. I did not fight a single war in the whole game and just build my Spaceship.

Went with Freedom for buying SS parts and the Legion to push my "Pointiest Stick" rating from last place to #3. I also was able to push the World Ideology through before anybody else even dreamed of an ideology.

But the worst part is this. Look at the Military Might. Guess what. I am not the Shoshone. :lol: But he wasn't attacking, actually he was "afraid" because I build one (!) Atomic Bomb.

Spoiler :

So overall, I am not that much impressed. Everybody is talking about the "big leap" from Emperor difficulty. Well maybe I was just lucky..?

That was a while ago, I'm now on turn 475, my science is north of 920, and I've built 2 SS parts. But 3 other guys have finished the Apollo Program. Will I have the time to finish research and construction? Will I need to resort to sabotage? Is more war in my future? Stay tuned...

Careful there, at normal pace, the game ends at T500 and the win goes to the highest score...

So overall, I am not that much impressed. Everybody is talking about the "big leap" from Emperor difficulty. Well maybe I was just lucky..?

Be kind! Before bragging, wait to see if your second and third Immortal games go as smoothly! My first Deity games was easy. All the rest have been a real struggle!

We'll see.. :) Using Babylon is pretty much an auto-win I guess. Next time I'll try Assyria. Going for some early conquest.

By the way, are Legendary Starts making the game easier? Or is it balanced, because everybody gets them? In my last game, the Shoshone conquered Venice really fast and with 2-Legendary-Cities they really got strong. So it seems balanced to me.

It makes the game WAYYYYYYY easier!
Reason is that AI never have happyness problem to manage... legendary or not!
Legendary start will almost garantee you to have a huge excess of happyness wich allows you to ignore happiness builddings or at least delay them...
Same for happiness realted policies.

Ultimately it will end up in bigger cities, and we all know that population is the main generator of hammers, science, culture and gold.

In a lesser upside, you will also have more golden age.

My humble opinion, but I dont think the fact AIs also have that abundance and diversity of lux ress really balance the game at all.

I don't know, the Shoshone in my posted immortal game had a pop 42 capital at the end + he captured Venice really early and with two "legendary start cities" he really picked up some pace. Legendary starts give you mostly more of the same Lux, not more different ones.

Of course it will end in bigger cities and more Golden Ages. I nearly kept a GA all the time with Chicen Itza and a constant flow of Artists. But it leads to bigger cities for everyone. I think it might be a bit unbalanced for warmongers. If they can capture a few capitals early...

ohhh it brings diversity too (not as much as abundance)... also insure you to be able to fix your happyness problem by trading.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying it sodest benefit the AI aswel, but the impact is way bigger on Humans...

Espicialy at high levels...

Thanks mate. :) It's just with Babylon it is pretty easy. Stay out of wars, bribe those other guys, don't make someone angry and just tech in peace. This leads to a guaranteed win somehow. So unless you play Korea, I guess with other Civs should be more challenging.

@KingKong76, I found an interesting oppinion about the Legendary Start on reddit regarding whether it is easier than a normal start:

On higher difficulty settings, this is not the case for 2 reasons. The first is that the AI starts with a worker. This means they are gana be taking advantage of their resources MUCH quicker than the player.
Secondly, while the player's use of resources (in the long run) is gana better, ALL the AI get the bonus from Legendary Start. This means that while some AI may not use the bonus to it's fullest potential, the more AI you put into your game, the higher the chances that one of them gets a good start and really runs with it.

Sounds good to me. ;)

Thanks mate. :) It's just with Babylon it is pretty easy. Stay out of wars, bribe those other guys, don't make someone angry and just tech in peace. This leads to a guaranteed win somehow. So unless you play Korea, I guess with other Civs should be more challenging.

@KingKong76, I found an interesting oppinion about the Legendary Start on reddit regarding whether it is easier than a normal start:

Sounds good to me. ;)

sounds good right to me too... its a good point.
On he other end, human wll always take advantage of the territory at its full potential.
Maybe its just me but i played legedary start only twice, and, its an extreamly small sample, but its my 2 easiest, fastest victories... that might be why Im biased on this one.

Careful there, at normal pace, the game ends at T500 and the win goes to the highest score...

Final update: ...And that's just what happened, twice. There simply wasn't enough time to get all the research and production done. Just for kicks, I opened an old savegame, liberated Quebec City from Washington and went deep into Venice before he proposed peace. Sneaky bastard put my 3 best cities in the terms, so I took those off the table and he still accepted. I teamed up with either Washington or Kasimir to go after (old) Venice, puppeting Vatican City and Vilnus to wipe him out.

Meanwhile my cites are pumping out mad beakers and hammers, and I got the boosters finished and next to the capital, but even with 2 great scientists, a golden age from a great artist, fully focused cities, and 1528 science, I was still 3 turns away from finishing research on particle physics. I'll just have to try my science victory again sometime, remembering not to repeat my mistakes of allowing unhappiness for so long, rushing early research when I should have built academies, and not fighting harder against arts funding.

Sneaky bastard put my 3 best cities in the terms, so I took those off the table and he still accepted.

I think this is actually an exploit. I always seems to work in BNW, if an AI is willing to offer peace will actually accept white peace all the time (even if initially it was asking for an insane peace deal that required you to give up all resources and 2 or 3 cities).
Oddly it does not work in G&K (or at least in the Into The Renaissance Scenario) where once I could not get any peace at all with an AI even after he destroyed the majority of his army attacking an impenetrable defense line, and after I convinced two other AI's to declare War on him; he wanted a city of mine and would not accept white peace no matter how many times I proposed it to him.

Oddly it does not work in G&K (or at least in the Into The Renaissance Scenario) where once I could not get any peace at all with an AI even after he destroyed the majority of his army attacking an impenetrable defense line, and after I convinced two other AI's to declare War on him; he wanted a city of mine and would not accept white peace no matter how many times I proposed it to him.

It is not an exploit. It is a patch to get around the kind of situation you just described!

The developers patched the peace offer trades at least twice. I suspect what we have now is because, in the end, they realized they could not do a decent job of it.

Are you guys interested in a real easy England / Small Continents / Legendary Start / Immortal game? I just finished it and it felt I was playing on King. I could upload it, if you like.

I only build 2 cities, but found a NW that gave +5 Science right at the beginning. After beelining Longbows, I started rushing all other civs and it was a breeze. Over the course of the game, I build 1 Scout, 1 Spear, 5 Longbows, 2 Caravels, 4 Privateers and 8 Ships of the Line (-> beelining Electronics -> upgrade to Battleships -> rule the waves). That’s all that needed for a reasy DV in turn 270. I also was ahead in everything (Gold, Faith, Science, Culture), so I think if I had focussed on pure domination I could have easily scraped some more turns.

The setting completely exploits the AI’s weakness of naval combat warfare, but still allows for some landbased combat as I don’t like Archipelago. Every capital is on the coast, so a strong fleet wins you the game in no time. It still was a blast, though. Had a lot of fun. :) It was so easy, that I could finally grab that Exploration policy achievement. Seriously, after I got Battleships I conquered 1-2 cities each turn until I serioulsy ran into happiness problems (even with razing everything). England is so unbelievably strong on water maps, especially if you get to Frigates/SotL before the AI does. I actually never expected this.

Top Bottom