so I captured a great prophet..

capturing a great prophet is great.. I had a great prophet captured from a barb once and he couldn't do anything... neither spread religion, too.

Play Sweden, capture prophets, gift to city-states. Profit.

Otherwise I generally delete them if they cant be planted. If you mouse over the "spread religion" icon it does say what religion it will convert people to.

I find it really weird how you cant ban GPs and missionaries from travelling into your lands...nor can you ask them to stop converting your cities BEFORE they actually do it, nor can you ask a AI not to steal your cultural artifacts before you do it (actually i didnt get the option after either...)

If you are building new cities and you capture a foreign missionary or prophet if they can give you a unique religious building it can be worth converting a small city as it won't have accrued any of your own religious pressure yet.
If they have Holy warriors or Heathen conversion this can be especially valuable.

Just to be clear, what if you:

A) have heathen conversion and steal a missionary of another religion, or
B) don't have HC but steal a missionary of a religion that has it

The only thing to do with a non-virgin GPr other than hang it from a tree is to convert your own cities. If you have faith to burn it can give you more faith bought buildings, and possibly the benefit of a second pantheon via Religious tolerance.

If you don't have faith to burn you can convert your neighbor's cities in hopes he'll buy the buildings and you puppet them. You can benefit from religious tolerance via natural spread.

If you don't have faith to burn you can convert your neighbor's cities in hopes he'll buy the buildings and you puppet them. You can benefit from religious tolerance via natural spread.

Good idea, if conquering your neighbor's cities and puppeting them aligns with your strategy. I was thinking convert one of your own cities then use natural spread and internal trade routes to spread a little of it around, for the double pantheon.

Well, my test runs did not include trying to use a captured missionary that follows a Heathen Conversion religion. If you want to test that specific scenario, and report back, that would be great.

I have used enemy great prophets to convert my cities. Why you ask? Sometimes the other religions will allow you to buy Churches, Mosques, schools, units, etc.

So the first thing I do is buy my own religions GP, then use to the enemy GP to convert my city, then buy the units and/or buildings that I cannot with my religion, then a turn later convert it back with my GP.

Last night I played a game where the opposing player (Iroq.) keep converting my cities, but while converted I could buy mosques. Another religion on my other border allowed me to buy universities and schools I think. So I used all my extra religious points to buy those things before converting them back. Opposing religions can be useful.

Oh absolutely the micromanaging is a pain, so I usually just autopath him to move next to somebody's capital or something like that.

If I've already got my own religion [or don't care about it at all] then he basically becomes an expendable resource-like iron in the atomic era.

If he hasn't used his convert ability, I'd recommend that you make a holy site immediately, the extra faith boost is pretty nice, especially considering that there aren't a lot of ways to generate faith, and a lot that you can spend it on. I use him to explore if he's already used one or more of his conversions.

I'd like to see how converting works in multiplayer. I'd have to imagine that people would have to capture religious units all the time when they see them entering and then quickly offering peace. I wonder if there's a counter to this loophole.

If he hasn't used his convert ability, I'd recommend that you make a holy site immediately, the extra faith boost is pretty nice, especially considering that there aren't a lot of ways to generate faith, and a lot that you can spend it on. I use him to explore if he's already used one or more of his conversions.

So basically what you're saying is that capturing a Great Prophet can lead to a great profit?

Seriously though, this is a very good point. I will consider that the next time I capture a filthy, blasphemous GP from another nation =P

I just tested and confirmed that if you have Heathen conversion and capture a missionary of another religion, that missionary WILL convert barbarians. Once the PLAYER gets HC, all the PLAYER'S missionaries do it. The belief is tied to the player, not the individual missionaries.

So, if another player's religion has HC, and you capture one of his missionaries, that missionary loses the HC power, even though it remains a missionary for his religion?

Yes. If you have it and capture, he gains it. If the other guy has HC and you capture, he loses it. It's easier to think not in terms of the missionaries having the power, but you. It is all-or-nothing for you.

I think we just found a use for captured missionaries.

Top Bottom