How much area does a single tile cover in Civ?

civ54lyfe

Prince
similar to a recent post (i didn't want to hijack it), has anyone worked out the square miles (or hectares, kilometers, w/e unit you like) that a single tile covers? and does that area change with map size? i suppose counting the tiles, dividing the surface area of the Earth by that number would yield an answer.

in my mind i've always considered a tile to be roughly the same area of a typical suburban metro area of ~80,000 people. or perhaps 4 giant stadiums in square formation or something.

That's something I'd like to know as well. I kinda feel like it would change based on the map size, but the fact that the map sizes change while the hex sizes do not makes me think that the hex is a standard Unit of measure.........but what size does it represent?

Well... if you check the demographics ingame, you'll see how big is your empire in SQUARE KM (or was it miles? I think it was KM). So, you start the game with 7 tiles (1 tile hex grid + the tile of your capital city). Checking the demographics to see the area and dividing it by 7 will probably get you an answer. IIRC, you start with 21.000 km², but I might be very mistaken. It should lead to 3.000km² per tile.

You should really confirm this, though

Each tile is generally about 3/4" across, unless you zoom way in or hold a magnifying glass up to the screen.

The formula for the area of a regular hexagon is sqrt(3)/2*w^2. Using w=.75", that gives an area of almost exactly 1/2 square inches.

Well... if you check the demographics ingame, you'll see how big is your empire in SQUARE KM (or was it miles? I think it was KM). So, you start the game with 7 tiles (1 tile hex grid + the tile of your capital city). Checking the demographics to see the area and dividing it by 7 will probably get you an answer. IIRC, you start with 21.000 km², but I might be very mistaken. It should lead to 3.000km² per tile.

You should really confirm this, though

So does this mean that one hex is bigger than Luxembourg by 413.6 km²?

don't forget that it can take anywhere from about hundreds of years to 2 years for one man with a shovel to build a road across one, depending on what turn it is.

Since the size of the earth is a relative constant (approximately 25,000 miles around at the equator.)
It will depend on the map size as to how much space each hex represents in game. A larger map has more
hexes so the size of each hex decreases accordingly.

Unless of course, a smaller map actually means a smaller selection of the planets surface to play on. Which,
in turn, means the hexes are the same size.

i suppose next time that i start a new game, i'll try to check infoaddict, or any other statistic that would possibly give me empire size (hopefully in any dimension of area) and then i guess that's what the game considers a tile to be.

Each tile is generally about 3/4" across, unless you zoom way in or hold a magnifying glass up to the screen.

The formula for the area of a regular hexagon is sqrt(3)/2*w^2. Using w=.75", that gives an area of almost exactly 1/2 square inches.

you win

12 square miles in Ancient/Classical eras, 14 in Renaissance/Industrial, 24 in Modern and later.

Just checked under several conditions (tiny and huge maps, ancient and information eras) the size of a square is always 10000 square Km

That means that the side of each hexagon is roughly 62 Km. and the length between opposite corners is 124 km.

That's certainly a lot more than I originally thought...

Just checked under several conditions (tiny and huge maps, ancient and information eras) the size of a square is always 10000 square Km

That means that the side of each hexagon is roughly 62 Km. and the length between opposite corners is 124 km.

Well that would mean that the diameter of the planet actually changes based on the size of the map!

/too obscure?

Well that would mean that the diameter of the planet actually changes based on the size of the map!

/too obscure?

Correct! Or.... smaller maps could mean a smaller selection of the planet's surface?! Hense, a huge map is the entire surface. But a standard map could be Continent size. I will let the real mathematicians do their magic, to find the real surface area of each map size type.

Top Bottom