Indonesia discussion

Looks like they could. It would be boring otherwise. And Indonesia would be more like a trash.

Well, all in all it's a strange civilization so far.
Scattered bonuses and both Unit and Building replacements for subpar U and B.

Swordsman is really crappy, as of GnK, since pikeman became so powerful. If it's a swordie replacement, it should at least be a strong one. You will already be forced to opt for military or naval focuses early on...
I expect the Candi will, at least, take away the river requirement of gardens (like the austrian Coffee House does with Windmills).

I'm just hoping Indonesia doesn't turn out to be this expansions Byzantium.

My thoughts:

The fat man cometh: I'm surprised that anybody is complaining about this. I love variety, and a fat, fierce dude sounds excellent to me, and gets away from contemporary obsession with thinness and musculature.

Unique Ability (settling off-continent): I think this is flavorful (which I like) but problematic with the current map scripts. I think most people agree that this ability is best settling islands, not other continents. But if you take Continents Standard, you rarely get accessible islands early (if at all), if you take Continents Plus Standard, the islands are occupied bu City States. Nigh useless on Pangea. (I've always wished there were more small islands in the Continents scripts, like.) But if there are small islands, the pay off for settling them and going naval is quite good. It takes a long time for the AI to get a a naval force together that is a serious threat to island colonies, which means less effort to defend your off-shore cities. Because you are settling off-shore, there should be less "They cover your lands" penalties, allowing a Tradition-Indonesia with offshore cities to look like a viable strategy.

The Kris: Mixed feelings. In order to really take advantage of the ability is to beeline Iron, which means you are going Honor/war, which means you are building barracks, which means the promotion could be one ill-suited to what you need. The flip side of that is you probably won't be going war, which means no Barracks, which means - hey! free promotion! But Swordsman for a civ that looks very poorly suited for warfare...tits on a bull.

Candi: As states above, this looks good for Tradition with offshore settlements, so this Garden becomes more useful. Focus on naval/religion/science. I like this.

Miscellaneous: I'm just happy they are in. I commend Friaxis for putting in a civ that has been overlooked for so long, that represents part of the world oft-underrepresented in Civ (along with sub-Saharan civs).

They may not be the best civ out there, but I really like settling off-shore, and encouraging island/naval civs is a good thing in my opinion. I just don't understand the Kris from a synergy point of view.

I play Emperor difficulty, so your mileage may vary.

My thoughts:

The Kris: Mixed feelings. In order to really take advantage of the ability is to beeline Iron, which means you are going Honor/war, which means you are building barracks, which means the promotion could be one ill-suited to what you need. The flip side of that is you probably won't be going war, which means no Barracks, which means - hey! free promotion! But Swordsman for a civ that looks very poorly suited for warfare...tits on a bull.

I play Emperor difficulty, so your mileage may vary.

I usually play Immortal and, as of now, it's very hard to make use of swordie units. You just do not have the time to research, gather Iron and build them (when you're done, the AI has already started to ping you with pikemen - the stronger cousin of the swordie, that just happens to have a bonus against horses too and doesn't need iron). To tell you the truth, I see very little point of beelining iron, as of GnK.

What I'm hoping for the Kris UU? No iron requirement. But I know I might be expecting too much.

You just do not have the time to research, gather Iron and build them (when you're done, the AI has already started to ping you with pikemen - the stronger cousin of the swordie, that just happens to have a bonus against horses too and doesn't need iron). To tell you the truth, I see very little point of beelining iron, as of GnK.

What I'm hoping for the Kris UU? No iron requirement. But I know I might be expecting too much.

You took the point further and something I hadn't quite thought through, but - yeah, who beelines Iron?

And your fix is perfect. No iron requirement would make this work.

But really, I wish the UA had been some sort of naval unit. Or instead of a UA, another UB.

Indonesian achievement :

The Java Script: Beat the game on any difficulty as Gajah Mada.

Enemy Blade No More: As Indonesia, capture an enemy capital with a Kris Swordsman with the Enemy Blade promotion.

"Enemy Blade" promotion?? :confused:

I am super excited about this Civ. Seems like a very balanced nation with a great color scheme. I also think that part of the world is really underrepresented (It is one of the most populated countries in the world).

I'm going to play my first game as him when I get it!

One of the things I am highly anticipating is the possibilities for mods based on what they'll have to expose to make all this work for Indonesia!
Good stuff. I hope they make it mod friendly... so that variations can be borrowed on the theme. Especially the random promotion mechanic.

The first thing that comes to mind when looking at Indonesia is how the free promotion thing works. I can see strategists training boatloads of Kris units and farming barbarians to get the promotion... Is it lost on upgrade?

Judging from the achievement, the Kris Swordsmen promotions are completely unique, not the standard ones that everyone gets. One is called Enemy Blade.

I think Indonesia looks like an interesting grab-bag of abilities, and it will take some time and actually experimentation (rather than theorycrafting) to determine how viable they are. Right now I could see it going either way (either an oddball but useful civ like Sweden, or a relative dud like Byzantium).

If the Kris Swordsmen indeed have a pool of unique upgrades to potentially receive, they might be worth using regardless of the value of swordsmen in general. We can't really know until we get to actually test them.

I find it interesting that they revealed two civs that appear to be opposites: one (Morocco) is a desert-biased civ with a focus on trade, defense, and gold income, the other (Indonesia) is a civ with no clear focus and abilities that run the gamut from promoting early military to faith to expansionistic/trade-based strategies.

So glad to have Indonesia in the game. But one guy on Facebook said having Indonesia was lame without leaders like Eamon de Valera, Nasser, Franz Josef, Golda Meir :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Gajah Mada icon.jpg
    Gajah Mada icon.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 121
Hopefully the Kris won't/can't get promotions only useful to range units

Top Bottom