Quick Questions and Answers

No. The effects last the whole game. In addition to the faster loss rate, your resting point drops by 20. And it is not just the one CS, but every CS on the map.

Yes, the penalty is harsh, and quite an ugly surprise the first time you are hit with it! You may want to reload or start a new game, and not make that particular choice/mistake again. I agree with you that it is a bit too much to try and play through. (Unless you like the challenge.)

It wasn't second worker steal, it was the second DoW. Steal all the workers you want from one CS, just don’t make peace between steals.

Oh good to know, thanks. :D

Can someone explain me how Casimir can have knights before medival era?From a militaristic CS?

Attachments

• 2015-03-07_00002.jpg
    2015-03-07_00002.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 2015-03-07_00003.jpg
    2015-03-07_00003.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 96
Can someone explain me how Casimir can have knights before medival era?From a militaristic CS?

Yeah! I would say upgrade from ruins,...It's not just Horseman,...Chariot Archers too!

It's my first time warmongering in the game, playing as Boudicca on Emperor. I ended up rolling back about 50 turns at one point early in the game after eliminating Bismarck and learning about the warmonger penalty the hard way.

Now I'm about 200 turns in and facing Napoleon, whose city on my border I've razed and capital I've taken. He has three remaining cities: one French original that I plan to take, and on the other side of it, two of Dido's former cities. (She has two remaining aside from that.) As I understand it, the fewer cities a civ has remaining, the more of a warmonger penalty you take, and whenever you liberate a city, it reverses the warmonger penalty by the same amount you'd have lost by taking it if it still belonged to the original owner.

What I'm wondering is, will liberating Dido's cities actually reduce my warmongering penalty, or will I still end up taking a net penalty because I'm reducing one civ from 2 to 0 while bringing the other up from 2 to 4?

(Not the quickest question, I know. :blush:)

Edit: Ah, never mind. I just noticed that the mouseover text in-game appears to answer that question. MAJOR Warmonger penalty and MINOR Liberation bonus, it says.

Okay, actual quickie this time. Is there anywhere that you can see a quick list of who has access to a resource for the purpose of connecting it to your trade network? The only way I can see is to enter the trade screen for each civ/CS or scan the map, but I feel like there must be some screen I'm missing where you can get that same information at a glance.

If you go to the diplomacy screen and then click on the top left tab (forgot the name) it'll bring up the diplomacy info screen. Need to scroll a bit but otherwise you can see what the AIs civs have available to trade. Shows what the city-states can provide too.

what determines the amount of experience a gifted military unit has when you receive one from a CS?

Why is it that sometimes the GE will not rush build wonders? I cannot get mine to build SofL or Brandenburg. The little hammer option just doesn't show. He otherwise is fine.

I have noticed in the past that they will not rush wonders that are about to be built by the AI. I get the same lack of hammer option, but then in the next round someone else has built it. But in this case I have gone several more turns and still no SoL. W'up?

I still don't know whether to raze, annex or puppet. I read that you should raze when in doubt, but if you raze someone just rushes another settle there. Ugh. If you puppet, I understand there is no penalty for extra cities. Is that right? What do people generally do when they are pushing for final domination?

Why is it that sometimes the GE will not rush build wonders? I cannot get mine to build SofL or Brandenburg. The little hammer option just doesn't show. He otherwise is fine.

I have noticed in the past that they will not rush wonders that are about to be built by the AI. I get the same lack of hammer option, but then in the next round someone else has built it. But in this case I have gone several more turns and still no SoL. W'up?

is your engineer in the city with the wonder queued up, and there's no other civilian unit stacked?

I still don't know whether to raze, annex or puppet. I read that you should raze when in doubt, but if you raze someone just rushes another settle there. Ugh. If you puppet, I understand there is no penalty for extra cities. Is that right? What do people generally do when they are pushing for final domination?
raze if you don't like the city location, that's the bottom line for me. if you puppet, it doesn't count towards penalties, but you can't select build order or assign citizens in that city. for domination victory many players tend to keep the capitals only or puppet minimally, because the happiness hit is quite severe until you reach ideologies. puppeting before annexing is best so you avoid the turns of resistance when you first capture a city.

Try to stay on top of score or try to conquer the remaining capitals on the map. Keep an eye on the culture and tourism screen to make sure that no one gets the cultural victory. Taking a look at the other screens such as world congress screen and science screen are also something I often do because ais can unexpectedly take a win and may surprise you.

what determines the amount of experience a gifted military unit has when you receive one from a CS?

Wanted to bump this because I have the same question. The only relationship I've noticed is that if the city the unit spawns next to has a barracks, the unit is highly likely to spawn with experience. However, does anyone know how this actually works?

Try to stay on top of score

This is terrible advice, do not be worried about your "score" in that regard.

If you puppet, I understand there is no penalty for extra cities. Is that right? What do people generally do when they are pushing for final domination?

There's still the 5% science penalty, but remember that's 5% base. So if you have 20 cities already then adding a 21st will only be a 2.5% penalty. There is no cultural penalty (in fact it's a net gain as a result) and no great person generation penalty.

Generally speaking you keep a city with wonders, strategic locations, or important luxuries/resources. Otherwise, if your happiness is great then you can puppet it if it's simply a well developed city with things like religious buildings.

puppeting before annexing is best so you avoid the turns of resistance when you first capture a city.

The only time *not* to puppet is if you're Order with the level 3 Domination tenet. If you puppet with that tenet, you won't get the free Courthouse. Otherwise, yeah, always puppet initially.

Wanted to bump this because I have the same question. The only relationship I've noticed is that if the city the unit spawns next to has a barracks, the unit is highly likely to spawn with experience. However, does anyone know how this actually works?
I think it's related to the CS not the city where the unit spawns. I think that if that CS has barracks and/or armory you will get XP for the gifted unit.

Thanks for the advice. Stupidly, I was not in the city so the GE would not rush. Wasted a lot of production...

One reason for annexing is that +3 courthouse happiness policy. A few of those can really turn around your unhappiness. But overall, it looks like I have been keeping too many cities.

It becomes especially acute when a civ wants to give you a handful of their cities.

Oh, and culture bomb is da bomb. :)

I think that if that CS has barracks and/or armory you will get XP for the gifted unit.

I wish spies would let you view CS as I think this must be the explanation. It seems very random if the barracks (sometimes armory) is built. I will say that it is consistent. Once you are gifted one unit with experience, all the subsequent one from that CS will have it. If you are allied with two militaristic CS, pay attention to which one is gifting units with xp.

Well I imagine they start building them when they have nothing else to build.
What I don't get about CS mechanics is when they tech up, because you see that a CS has coal/aluminum/etc, and it's your ally but it won't gift it right away. Does a CS tech up like a normal civ? If so it means it will fall behind from renaissance on but it doesn't. Does it get some free techs once a number of civs already have them? This may be possible, as I once got coal from a cs right after someone stole industrialization from me. What determines the technological level of a CS? Is this known information?

This is terrible advice, do not be worried about your "score" in that regard.

There's still the 5% science penalty, but remember that's 5% base. So if you have 20 cities already then adding a 21st will only be a 2.5% penalty. There is no cultural penalty (in fact it's a net gain as a result) and no great person generation penalty.

Generally speaking you keep a city with wonders, strategic locations, or important luxuries/resources. Otherwise, if your happiness is great then you can puppet it if it's simply a well developed city with things like religious buildings.

The only time *not* to puppet is if you're Order with the level 3 Domination tenet. If you puppet with that tenet, you won't get the free Courthouse. Otherwise, yeah, always puppet initially.
You dont always have to stay on top of score. What í was trying to say is, try to stay on top of score if youre going for the time victory because scores rise and drop throughout the play so if youre close in score with someone and you guys are almost at 2050 for time, the other person could walk away with a win.

Top Bottom