Trying to customize artifact lists.

Fredgerd

Warlord
I'll preface this by saying, I've never done a civ V mod before, so please forgive me if I ask really dumb questions. If I'm asking something that's been covered in a tutorial somewhere, feel free to just point me at that. I've already got Kael's guide open. I've used lua before but I wouldn't say I'm especially good at it.

All that said, I think (and I could be wrong) that my goal with this mod is probably pretty humble and achievable. Basically I've become completely bored with digging up beads, and I'd like to replace the current artifact lists with some more interesting specimens. A broad list of cool, specific archeological finds for the basic sites and a list of specific fossils (dinosaurs and other prehistoric extinct things) for the hidden sites.

I've gotten as far as setting up ModBuddy and making a new mod file. I've searched around a bit for a guide as to how to make a custom artifact list and haven't come across anything. I've found a guide on adding new great works, however, and I imagine it's similar to that? I still don't know how to actually add to the artifact lists in particular though (do they fall under great works in the code or are they their own distinct category) and I also don't have a clue how to remove the existing items.

Any help and guidance is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

For instance, is this the correct format?

Spoiler :
<GameData>
<GreatWorks>
<Row>
1. <Type>GREAT_WORK__MEGALOSAURUS_BUCKLANDII</Type>
2. <GreatWorkClasssType>ARTIFACT</GreatWorkClasssType>
3. <Description>TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_MEGALOSAURUS_BUCKLANDII</Description>
4. <Audio></Audio>
5. <Image>GW_Megalosaurus_bucklandii.dds</Image>
</Row>
</GreatWorks>
</GameData>

or does it fall under a category other than great works?

I'm not sure how Artifacts work, since I've not tried modding them myself, but at the very least I can probably point you toward Vice Virtuoso's Lyrical Nanoha Civilization, which has an emphasis on archaeology, and special artifacts which grant unique bonuses when placed into her UB's.

I believe he does some mixture of spawning a dummy unit to create a "Great Work" to replace the artifact and then killing them, though. I'm not entirely sure.

Oh boy, a magical girl civ :p. Thanks though, I'll check it out. The way you described it sounds like not quite what I'm trying to do, but it may be I can learn something from the code.

It doesn't bode well that this thread is the first result for "Civ V custom artifact mod" :/

Guess I can always trial and error it.

Well, if it's any use, my Kingdom of Italy mod adds a new artifact - a shipwreck. The only caveat is that this artifact handed to the civ via lua, so not necessarily generated alongside other artifacts. So it's easy enough to add new artifacts, but I'm not sure if they'll appear in place of other artifacts you dig up. For all database purposes, though, artifacts are just Great Works, with the "ARTIFACT_ANCIENT_RUIN" ArtifactClassType and "GREAT_WORK_ARTIFACT" GreatWorkClassType columns assigned.

Well, if it's any use, my Kingdom of Italy mod adds a new artifact - a shipwreck. The only caveat is that this artifact handed to the civ via lua, so not necessarily generated alongside other artifacts. So it's easy enough to add new artifacts, but I'm not sure if they'll appear in place of other artifacts you dig up. For all database purposes, though, artifacts are just Great Works, with the "ARTIFACT_ANCIENT_RUIN" ArtifactClassType and "GREAT_WORK_ARTIFACT" GreatWorkClassType columns assigned.

That is extremely helpful, thank you!

Being able to add new artifacts is the main priority for me. Removing the old ones would be nice but its more of a professional polish.

I don't know about artifacts dug up from the different sites, but looking briefly at Nanoha, it seems you should be able to tell whether it's a normal site or a hidden site. The regular site is identified with GameInfoTypes.RESOURCE_ARTIFACTS while the hidden sites use GameInfoTypes.RESOURCE_HIDDEN_ARTIFACTS I think.

Also this (from the <GreatWorks> table):
Code:
		<!-- GREAT_ARTIFACTS (Written)-->
		<Row>
			<Type>GREAT_WORK_ROSETTA</Type>
			<GreatWorkClassType>GREAT_WORK_LITERATURE</GreatWorkClassType>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_ROSETTA</Description>
			<Quote>TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_QUOTE_ROSETTA</Quote>
			<Image>GreatWriter_Background.dds</Image>
			[COLOR="Blue"]<ArchaeologyOnly>true</ArchaeologyOnly>[/COLOR]
		</Row>
look for file CIV5GreatWorks_Expansion2.xml in folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo
if you have not already done so.

Top Bottom