Hall of Fame Rules/FAQ

Wonder Victory is legal as an optional setting, but it's not recognized as a victory condition for the HOF. So, games won via Wonder Victory are treated as losses in regards to the HOF, so they'd only show up in Score slots.

Is it allowed to look at the current charts and try for one that is not full? Or could that be artificially influencing the game, trying for a specific type of victory? Thanks

You get to select any initial condition you want including what victory condition you will use to win the game, just be sure to have all the victory conditions required by the rules when you start. Many people select tables that have no entries just to secure the 1st position.

Own said:
Is CivAssist2 allowed?
Yes. This question has came up before, but we haven't got around to updating the Rules/FAQ page. I'll get right onto it :).

If you manage to get onto one of the tables, but then are knocked off because other players score better afterwards, will your rank and/or awards(not that I'll get any) be removed?

Marsden said:
If you manage to get onto one of the tables, but then are knocked off because other players score better afterwards, will your rank and/or awards(not that I'll get any) be removed?
That depends. Let's say you have one huge map in the HOF and it gets bumped off the tables, you would no longer be, say an Octathlete. However, if you had a second huge map somewhere still on the tables, it would then qualify.

Is there or is there going to be a minimum score that you have to beat to be on the table? Or is there a point where you might be asked not to submit anymore?

Marsden said:
Is there or is there going to be a minimum score that you have to beat to be on the table?
That could only happen if the database were totally full, and it's nowhere near that. There's still empty tables, even now, although those have been dropping like flies since the Quartermaster's Challenge was unveiled. Of course most tables still have nine slots empty.

Marsden said:
Or is there a point where you might be asked not to submit anymore?
That's a very unlikely possibility for most players.

I'm just asking because I'm not very good, although I really enjoy playing the game, but compared to others my scores are really low. I just don't want anyone to be annoyed that I submitted my games.

Marsden said:
I just don't want anyone to be annoyed that I submitted my games.
Absolutely impossible! ;)

My staff and I judge games simply for legality, not for quality. And while the players do tend to respect better games and better players, there's no disrespect for submissions that aren't record breaking. As a matter of fact, we largely welcome anyone just to fill the HOF slots!

Heck, one player, LulThyme, deliberately submitted a ZERO point HOF game, just to do it! :lol:

If this weren't such a class-act subcommunity of CFC, I wouldn't bother running the place. :goodjob:

Thanks a lot. I really do want to do better, but I don't think it will happen for me. I've read the war academy articles and actually have improved, but I'm never scoring 50,000 or better. But thanks again for having the HOF and letting me participate. If I knew about it sooner I would have had a lot more games submitted, but I did not keep the saves and I don't think I always followed all of the rules to submit the old ones if I did have them.

Not that I'm one of the top rank players in this HoF (far from it actually) but I do hold #1's at 3 spots currently and I have never scored more than 20K on any game I've ever played in civ... Welcome too the HoF. I you want to get better I have a couple of suggestions as well:

1st: when you are playing a game for the HoF start you own thread here and post Pic's and updates. You will get lots of hints and help from all of the great players that play here. And besides that I have found that it makes you more focused if you know that the world is going to see what you are doing.

2nd: If you have not tried a SG or the SGOTM I highly recomend it as you will be part of the whole decision making process of a game. This has helped me tremendously.

3rd: Have fun. Post your screw ups. We all make them and I find it helps to let others laugh with you. Remember this is a GAME.

Marsden said:
I just don't want anyone to be annoyed that I submitted my games.

"We would be hornored if you would join us.";) --- Darth Vader

@Misfit Thanks I think I'll need to research how to do that on the website, I remember seeing something about it but I never thought I would have something to post. I'll try that.

@Moonsinger That's a great quote from one of my all time favorite characters. Then the quote in your signature is from one of my favorite shows. Thanks I even found the little Vader avatar. :)

@Superslug Is there a better place to post conversationally, I don't want to clutter up your FAQ?

Marsden said:
@Superslug Is there a better place to post conversationally, I don't want to clutter up your FAQ?
Have you seen the Milking... the conversation thread? If you get as far as posting about your games then just start a new thread. Don't get too hung up on where you're "allowed" to post though, we're a friendly bunch in the HOF :D.

In order to avoid confusion and the burdens of duplication, I've removed the copy of the HOF rules at the beginning of this thread and replaced it with links to the HOF website. I've also made two text alterations to the HOF rules. In both cases, the purpose is mainly clarification/updating.

No actual rules changes have taken place:

On the Settings page, this text was added to the Wonder Victory line-
(Please note that while Wonder Victory is an optional setting, it is not an HOF recognized victory condition. Any games submitted won via Wonder will be treated as losses and will only show up on Score slots if won before 2050ad, and Score/Histograhpic slots if won in 2050ad.)

On the Disallowed page, this text was added to the Reload subsection-
Games with reload rates deemed to be less than 30 minutes per session will not be accepted. Domination reloading may be done to stay under either domination limit, although such reloads will apply towards the 30 minute limit, so it is highly recommended that domination be avoided via use of Mapstat and/or consulting with the Victory status screen at the end of turn.

I have a lot of maps generated by MapFinder that I didn't use at all. If they were generated at Monarch level, for instance, is there any way to change them to Deity, for instance?

If there is a way, is it legal in the HOF? ("No" is my guess.)

Is there a difference in the maps generated at two different difficulty levels?

You can extract the seed and settings with SeedBeast then change level, civ, opponents etc when starting a "New Game". If you mess with seafaring civs etc., then the start locations may change. I can't say if this is HoF legal, but I wouldn't do that for a game I intended to submit.

edit: link: seedbeast

Bluejay, you're best legal option is to just run Mapfinder more.

Top Bottom