Unique Civ-Specific Great People Names

I'm curious, with the new expansion will it include GreatGenerals and Vassal States etc?

I hope you can merge the two expansions together, or, if not then it has to have GreatGenerals and Vassals included. Otherwise that would just be annoying.

I don't know if Poland will be included in second expansion - for now we only know about three civs, among 10 added.
FYI: we've created a petition to add Poland - we hope it will cause that next expansions and version will include our country.
Here is the petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/224875277
We've gathered almost 2000 signatures from all over the world.
This petition includes list of Polish Great People which you might use:
Quote from petition:
The Polish State gave birth to many Great People (grouped according to civ4 Great People categories):
Scientists:
Mikołaj Kopernik (astronomer)
Maria Skłodowska-Curie (chemist, twice Nobel Prize winner 1903, 1911)
Stefan Banach (mathematician)
Alfred Tarski (mathematician)
Marian Rejewski (mathematician)
Ludwik Zamenhof (doctor, esperanto creator)
Aleksander Wolszczan (astronomer)
Artists:
Fryderyk Chopin (composer)
Adam Mickiewicz (writer)
Juliusz Słowacki (writer)
Henryk Sienkiewicz (writer, Noble Prize - Literature 1905)
Stanisław Moniuszko (composer)
Witold Lutosławski (composer)
Władysław Reymont (writer, Noble Prize - Literature 1924)
Ignacy Paderewski (composer)
Artur Rubinstein (musician)
Czesław Miłosz (poet, Nobel Prize - Literature 1980)
Wisława Szymborska (poet, Nobel Prize - Literature 1996)
Andrzej Wajda (director)
Roman Polański (director)
Stanisław Lem (science fiction writer)
Warlords:
Tadeusz Kościuszko (Thaddeus Kosciusko) general
Kazimierz Puławski (Casimir Pulaski) general (both were Polish and American generals)
Józef Bem (general)
Władysław Anders (general)
Lech Wałęsa (Solidarity leader, Nobel Prize - Peace 1983)
Prophets:
Saint Jadwiga - (Queen of Poland)
Karol Wojtyła (Pope John Paul II)
Stefan Wyszyński (cardinal, primate during communism)
Merchants:
Eugeniusz Kwiatkowski (economist)
Władysław Grabski (economist)
Leszek Balcerowicz (economist)
Engineers:
Hipolit Cegielski (19th century manufacturer)
Gabriel Słoński (16th century architect)

Wow, thanks for that list, LDeska! If Poland is not in the new expansion, I will certainly use these as minor civ names.

Chugginator:
I've heard a lot of talk about that issue, and my guess is that it will follow the same progression as Civ 3, namely that C3C had all the content of PTW.

First a question (and I'm sorry if it has been asked already) is there great generals fix that compatible with BetterAI?

I've heard a lot of talk about that issue, and my guess is that it will follow the same progression as Civ 3, namely that C3C had all the content of PTW.
For the record C3C did not include all the content of PTW, namely PTW had additional graphics for WW2 in Europe units.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. I suppose you could get the specific fix from Mexico, then re-merge the SDK with BetterAI.

I just found out there will be a new Great Person, the Great Spy. You know what that means -- I have to find all new names of famous spies for each civ! :eek: :cry: :crazyeye: I don't know if that's even possible for civs like Mongolia or Zulu. Any ideas?

Mata Hari ?
James Bond 007 ?
OSS-117?

Spies are secrets so random names would do fine. You can use most common names inside countries like smith or dupont.
For Zulus, you can use topographic name like Umwavuma for example.

Would Vladimir Putin qualify as a Russian spy? :lol: Hey, what are you guys doing, coming in here like that... NO! It was only a joke!

Another good list I just found is "list of cryptographers". This will work very nicely, too.

Examples:
Mitsuru Matsui (Japan)
Xiaoyun Wang (China)
Bart Preneel (Belgian, but we'll use him for the Dutch)
Philips of Marnix (Dutch)
Auguste Kerckhoffs (Dutch)
Lars Knudsen (Danish -> Vikings)
George Blakley (America)
John Joseph Rochefort (America)
Alastair Denniston (England)
Dillwyn Knox (England)
Giambattista della Porta (Rome)
Friedrich Kasiski (Germany)
Johannes Trithemius (Germany)
Paulo S. L. M. Barreto (Brazilian, but we can subsitute for Portugal)

If you find any other good lists let me know.

Are you talking about Lucie Aubrac and her husband, and the Egyptologist Jean-François Champollion? Besides, you shouldn't worry -- this is hardly a definitive list.

By the way, do you always post pulchritudinous displays in your signature?

Jean Moulin is my second proposal and you're right for Champollion. I'm glad you know about Lucie Aubrac and it's even possible you know better about her than me. I'm not worried, I just intend to help where I can.

For the sig, it is one per month during spring. 'pulcher' is a latin word which means beauty so I assume you find them beautifull.

I don't know what M*A*S*H is, but I guess it is evangelical TV . I thought America was the land of liberty, it seems not to be after all. You know I just want to make anagrams now like ahcylum or lumyach. I don't let religion interfere with my aesthetic sense and don't understand why bodypainting must be forbidden. That said let this thread go back on the track.

:confused:

M*A*S*H is one of the most popular comedy shows of all time!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%2AA*S*H_(TV_series)
It is centered around an army hospital unit in Korea during the Korean War. It is known for its crazy, irreverent and often anti-establishment humor. The main character, Hawkeye, would very much approve, I'm sure. He was always reading.... um, volleyball.... magazines.

P.S. It was only a joke. ;)

So, Great Spies for Poland (OK, I know that almost for sure there will be no Poland in BtS) :)

Marian Rejewski - mathematician, but also cryptographer who broke in the early 1930s Enigma code - German coding machine used in WW2 http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9032677/Enigma

col. Ryszard Kukliński - the Polish army officer who supplied the CIA of over 40,000 pages of Soviet secret military documents from 1972 until his defection in 1981. Over nine years of secret cooperation http://www.videofact.com/english/agents3_en.html http://www.washingtontimes.com/books/20040522-101228-1988r.htm

Jan Nowak Jeziorański - "Courier from Warsaw" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Nowak-Jeziora%C5%84ski

Gaius Octavius, can you please add these Great Artists?

America: Buddy Holly - musician, song writer
Germany: Marlene Dietrich - actress, movie star, stage preformer/singer

All right, so these are the new civs we need names for: Maya, Byzantines, Native Americans/Sioux, Babylon, Sumeria, Netherlands, Portugal. I already have partial lists for Babylon, Portugal and Netherlands, but I'm a bit worried about the Maya and Sumerians. It may be a little harder to find ~10 names per category for them. For the Amerindians, I can just use names from all the tribes. Byzantium is a slam dunk.

I have been hard at work looking up many more names since yesterday. I now have virtually all the news civs done, except Maya, and most of the Great Spies figured out. It wasn't as hard as I thought, actually, and I was surprised how many famous spies are out there! One criticism people lobbed against it when this feature was announced was that "great" spies are unknown spies; that may be true, but there are quite a few famous ones. I feel I learned a bit about world history by looking up all these names.

I had to broaden the category for more ancient civs, because let's face it--there wasn't always an organized conception of a "spy" as we understand it today. Back then spying was more a case of court intrique or rebellion.

I've included people who organized insurgencies against various factions and invaders (à la the French Resistance), rebellious leaders and revolutionaries, defectors, assassins, ninjas, heads of intelligence agencies, cryptographers, miscellaneous others involved in plots, conspiracies and secret activities, and of course your basic, everyday, home-spun spy. :) I present the list of names for your perusal, since some are bound to cause controversy.

The rest of the lists follow the normal guidelines.

EDIT: Old list removed due to it being obsolete.

Top Bottom