Searching through my archives, I found this epic image.

I think it was during the days when I had command of all 12 Generals in C&C Generals and several of them got into some infighting.

And Another
Tales from the Vault
Episode​

This comic, originally meant for DYOS 10, was never finished. This scene should have taken place during the Gem arc, when Taillesskangaru, the Narrator and Rocket were captured by the Combine while looking for a malfunctioning Giant Death Robot and hunting for the Gem on Arrakis. I stumbled on it while I was cleaning out my old school stuff today. Somehow it got mixed up with some physic notes.

This interrogation scene was meant to be a sort of plot-explanation comic. I was going to use the opportunity to clarify my plotlines, explain any inconsistencies, plotholes and deadends (and there were a lot). I also wanted to introduce The Narrator properly. He first appeared several pages earlier but nothing much was revealed about his personality, his motives, or the people he was working for. In the draft of this comic he joined Taillesskangaru in front of the judges a few panels from where I stopped drawing here. The rough draft for this comic was three and a half (A4) pages long. I also made a draft for a second comic, to be followed immediately after this one, in which Taillesskangaru and the others escape from the Combine prison.

As it turned out, that time of year was exam time. After that was over, I felt depressed and lost the confidence to draw, I felt the thread as a whole was already moving past the point where this would be appropriate and, most importantly, I felt that my "explanations" were poorly thought-out and would only add to the confusion. I stopped work on this comic and rushed this comic while I thought about how to rework the interrogation scene. After a while I gave up on it altogether and this comic was the replacement (which did little to clear up the plot inconsistencies. In fact in hindsight it added to them)

When I was ready to contribute to the thread again I was going to make another comic centered on the Narrator but gave up on the idea as by this time most characters were in the Gem Chamber and the thread was wrapping up. His story will have to be told another time.

Ahh yes, the digitally remastered comic that lead to Stylesrj's powergaming shenanigans :rolleyes:.

This next piece is a favourite of mine, although I'm not exactly sure why. Breen interrogates Corporal Reitan directly, and comes closest to forming a coherent picture of what happened to the first Coruscanti expedition. I was finally satisfied that I had reached something on par with the cryptic existentialism of lord_joakim's Gem arc, at the same time foreshadowing matters of consequence in Part II.

I couldn't proportion shoulders worth a damn.
This is one of the handful of comics in which I linked to music for added ambiance. There is no hidden meaning behind the selection.

Last edited:
Ahh, yes, I do recall that one. I loved that crazysperson. Makes me want to round up some more comics.

Thankye for the compliment, by the way. :)

For those of you who don't have children or baby siblings... and/or you don't watch British children's shows... you won't understand this at all.

Basically I'm going to go to the Australian High Court where my retrial with the case against the Church of Scientology takes place...

Ok, that was a bad portrayal of Leang in Fallout 3...

My final contribution for DYOS X, and the titular origin of Part II.

The phrase "plans within plans" is common throughout the Dune series. Lady Elara does in fact utter the line in the game Dune 2000, albeit not in the scene used for this comic. It is a strangely fitting description of the course of DYOS X, and indeed Part II, in that everyone is using everyone else for their own aims while remaining unaware of their own manipulation. It is especially fitting in that House Corrino knows the full story. But who is the epitomic puppeteer?

I had originally hoped to finish the thread with this cartoon, but choxorn requested that he write the conclusion and I couldn't help but oblige. It's short, yet complex; straightforward, yet enigmatic. The investigative and slightly psychotic reader can actually (probably) figure out who they're talking about based on the clues scattered throughout the story. There are only two other published pieces coming as close to saying whodunnit as this one; the second is not available for public consumption.

Short, straightforward- way better than my giant finish. I was just trying to make sense of the plot and that seemed like a good way to do it, although I probably could have shortened it a bit.

On the other hand, I wasn't aiming for synopsis. Your comic was useful in that regard.

I dont think I have any that qualifies as Best of DYOS :blush:.

Think harder. ;)

Something important to note in CivGeneral's comics is that whenever he comes close to death, he has, in fact, contemplated killing himself off. This has happened at least thrice now, but fortunately we rally around him and he does not pull the proverbial trigger.

In this case, as the result of Stylesrj (naturally) he debated making Alyx the sole protagonist in keeping with the tradition of past threads. When I told him it was neat that he finally had a sidekick, he reneged on this idea and CG and Co. was born.

The standoff inspired me to write a little quip for when Grievous and CG would re-encounter later on, but unfortunately I never got the chance to air it:
Thorvald: (to CG) "Don't mind him. He's just jealous because he can't catch a break."
Grievous: "What?! I'll have you know I am the most feared bounty hunter in seven galaxies!"
Thorvald: "I know... Yet you still can't get any action. Don't worry: you can always swap stories with Manfred."
CG: (anxious) "I think you've made your point."
Thorvald: "You know why they nicknamed him 'The Ghost'? 'Cuz he's insubst-" Grievous fires a warning shot "Shutting up."

Last edited:
In this case, as the result of Stylesrj (naturally) he debated making Alyx the sole protagonist in keeping with the tradition of past threads. When I told him it was neat that he finally had a sidekick, he reneged on this idea and CG and Co. was born.

And then I decided to catch up in the fun by one-upping his girlfriend/sidekick idea by having a wife :p
Because those sorts of female companion last longer than military advisors...

Not to be overtaken, CG gets married :lol:

The standoff inspired me to write a little quip for when Grievous and CG would re-encounter later on, but unfortunately I never got the chance to air it:

He can also talk to Themi about his problems... :D

Here's another relic dredged up from the dustbin. The comic it was part of was to be aired sometime during the crisis in Moscow after kulade's defeat. I can't remember what held me up; it was probably the map design and scripting. This was all the footage that made it past review, and then the plot went forward and I was forced to scrap the whole thing.

As it would have turned out, the facility was involved in processing Tiberium, and this comic would have led to the resurgence of the Brotherhood of Nod. Considering how wacky things became without Kane getting involved, in retrospect it was probably a good thing this never went to air.

This also would have been the first demonstration of Cold War Crisis content since its release in July of '08.

Vintage DYOS
Pre-DYOS 5 Era​

Spoiler :

I saved a few comics from the Pre-DYOS 5 Era (2003 - 2005) before the threads themselves were purged. Considered by some the "Golden Age" of DYOS, the threads during this period were originally hosted in Off-Topic. There were seven or eight regular contributors, with other OTers joining in the fun every so often. Of those, only a few still posts on CFC, and CivGeneral is the only regular contributor in all twelve DYOS threads, past and present.

This comic is old - it was originally posted on DRAW Your Own Story 3, if I remember correctly DRAW Your Own Story 1 (thanks CivCube). I cannot recall who drew it - it might have been CivCube, or Rambuchan it was FredLC actually. It was way before I joined the forum in any case. Here we see the grand council of the Moderators dealing with what we can presume is yet another attack by CurtSibing. Some of you may still remember Thunderfall in his battleship form falling out of the internet and being shot by lord_joakim in Avatar Wars, and spending most of that thread in a near-death state. Here, Thunderfall is the decisive leader, the tough looking-guy with a cool hat, seated majestically on his throne. He is surrounded by his loyal lieutanants, respectful and ready to answer to his commands.

Top Bottom