House of Reps and Obama kill SOPA

Well it's not a business but a nonprofit. Also they consider themselves an international website even though they're based on U.S. Servers.* This is unfairly punishing non-Americans who have no say in this, and basically implying that non-Americans who use / edit / etc the English Wikipedia have less value.

*Hint: my website is on an American server. Does it make my website American, considering that I am Canadian?

1) It's ONE day.... Come on.

2) Any owner/CEO or whatever has the power to do as they (or their board, or whatever) wish. You don't have a right to Wikipedia.

3. Maybe you should protest the black out by blacking out Wikipedia... tomorrow.

I wont even be using it tomorrow. Im actually almost finished the research for my site so Im looking up anything I need right now.

Well it's not a business but a nonprofit. Also they consider themselves an international website even though they're based on U.S. Servers.* This is unfairly punishing non-Americans who have no say in this, and basically implying that non-Americans who use / edit / etc the English Wikipedia have less value.

*Hint: my website is on an American server. Does it make my website American, considering that I am Canadian?

It has nothing to do with the server. You are complaining about "Americans wanting to control everything" when this is a group of Americans applying control over their own creation. If there was ever anything an American had a right to control its their own creation.

A group of Americans?

So I suddenly become an American if I apply an edit to a Wikipedia page? Wow, I never realized that. As well, its under a creative commons license....

Sorry, you arent in charge of wikipedia because you edit a few articles. The actual creators of the concept who are in control of the foundation and the website are Americans, deal with the fact they are more concerned with their own country's political problems than other countries.

This is punishing non-American users who have nothing to do with the stupid SOPA law.

This is punishing non-American users who have nothing to do with the stupid SOPA law.

So it should be a one way street? You should benefit from their creation but then never absorb any negatives? And keep telling yourself you have nothing to do with the stupid SOPA law, the way its written you could easily see websites you enjoy go down unless you exclusively browse non-american websites outside of wikipedia.

Also, its terribly ironic to protest censorship with censorship. Not to mention that it violates the neutrality. They would not do this for another country.

And no other country passing a law like this would have as drastic of an effect on wikipedia as SOPA could.

I don't believe its their place to disrupt the site to make a point -- a site that tens of thousands of users use or contribute to (monetarily or by making edits). They claim there's a 55% consensus but I have high doubts on that, especially considering that not that people voted.

I don't get why everyone's talking about "the war" and whatever, as if this was some ideological struggle. You have a system of private property, and then you figured out a way to easily and infinitely replicate a particular commodity for free; what did you think was going to happen? This crap'll end when the conditions that gave rise to it end, not before.

:lol: Why does this forum not have a "thanks" feature?!

Except for being massively screwed over by the American law if it pass, which we Canadians will be since we share a good portion of our internet infrastructure with the US. (More so than the RotW)

So to be blunt, Aimee: as a Canadian, this law does concern you, and you do have something to do with it.

What can I do? If I called U.S. politicians they would not take me seriously.

You can encourage Americans to take action.

Or at least avoid complaining when Americans take action.

Or even when they pretend to take action.

:mischief:

My feeling is that they're being much too far. As I said I don't mind a click-through page (make the continue button tricky to find so people pay attention). But blackout is going too far for something that has not even gone through the first house.

Top Bottom