2nd Expansion Naval Units lines

Duke Maynard

Chieftain
The new naval units in G&K are great, and helped to flesh out the naval game some, but there are still some odd inconsistencies (e.g. Triemes - Caravel - Ironclad, wut) and holes (pretty much no changes in unit composition from Ancient to Renasciannce)

Also, there ought to be sea-based on map trade routes in the 2nd expansion. Early navies as it is serve little purpose, and income is low in the early game in G&K. You should be able to steal income by parking a unit on an enemy's route, and the total gold income/diplomatic trading bonus should start very low and increase the longer the route is unbroken (not counting raids, of course). This gives you a reason to stay peaceful. Make having a common border or sea trade routes prerequisite for trading gold or resources.

UNIT LINES:

Heavy Melee, City cappers, tough to kill: Trieme (ancient), Great Ship/War Galleon (medieval), Privateer (renasciannce), Monitor (Industrial), Cruiser (modern), Amphibious Assault Ship (Information. Also doubles as a single capacity aircraft carrier)

Light Melee, exploration, flanking, larger bonuses to commerce raiding: Caravel/Sloop (renasciannce, both can be built at the same time, though caravel is a tech earlier, both upgrade into the same path, caravel is obviously exploration and sloop is fast combat), Torpedo Boat (industrial), Submarine (modern), Nuclear Submarine (information)

Ranged, naval bomardment: Galleass (medieval),Frigate (renasciannce), Pre-Dreadnought (Industrial, uses current ironclad graphic), Battleship (modern), Missle Cruiser (information)

Carrier: Carrier (modern), Supercarrier (Information, 5 capacity + 2 hex air defense)

Amphibious Assault Ship (Information. Also doubles as a single capacity aircraft carrier)

This unit would have to be significantly cheaper than a carrier and/or not require oil for it to make sense and be utilized.

Like the rest of the ideas though.

Also make supercarriers able to carry stealth bombers. I was pissed when I found out I couldn't put Stealth Bombers on my carriers.

Eh. That'd be hardcore OP.

How is that OP? It would be just like a mobile city where you can station them in. If it gets taken out, you lose all of your air power, just like if your enemy takes a city.

How is that OP? It would be just like a mobile city where you can station them in. If it gets taken out, you lose all of your air power, just like if your enemy takes a city.

It's just that Stealth Bombers already have insane range and power. Being able to park 5 of them per ship anywhere is kind of overwhelming.

The whole thing with carriers is that while they are very strong, they aren't mobile cities in civilization games.

"You should be able to steal income by parking a unit on an enemy's route"

Or maybe we can better utilize the already-existent Blockade feature. Why can I deprive the enemy of his sea resources but get nothing in return?

But I agree: supercarrier, medieval galleon, torpedo boat, and dreadnought are badly needed to flesh out the naval units. Cruiser, I see no point other than being a slightly more powerful destroyer. And the missile cruiser would be a sufficient upgrade for the destroyer, not the battleship. Plus a torpedo boat wouldn't upgrade to a sub, as both existed parallel in World War II and beyond.

I would add a gunboat in industrial era, something with both sails and paddles, faster but weaker than the ironclad.

It would also be nice if some boats could navigate rivers, but with hex tiles that would be kinda hard to implement.

Top Bottom