Axeman and Maceman

ArnoldI

I have no idea what I'm doing in Civ VI
What about bringing Civ IV's Axeman and Maceman back?

I thought about it and got to the point: "And if Axeman and Maceman were finishing land units, used for attacking cities, but weaker in open field?

Here are the thought stats about them:

Axeman:

60 :c5production:
12 :c5strength:
130 :c5faith:
Does not require Iron
Siege I
Prerequisite Tech:Construction (?)

Maceman:

110 :c5production:
18 :c5strength:
210 :c5faith:
Does not require Iron
Siege I
Prerequisite Tech: Machinery (?)

Any points?

Ultimately, Civ's units are meant to represent real historical formations and the way they worked. Axes and maces are not obvious anti-city weapons, and macemen aren't a real historical formation in any case as far as I'm aware. Longswords also lost their city attack bonus in Gods & Kings.

But most importantly, as it stands most early units have a relatively short lifetime, and there's no obvious place on the tech tree to place these units that's both historically appropriate and would actually be useful. There's already an anti-city unit upgrade path, which overlaps closely with your proposed placement for these units, and as most players use siege units to do most damage to cities before hitting with melee units, there isn't much reason to invest in 'anti-city' melee units.

Axemen maybe could be a special unit for an new civ in the next expansion. Also Longswordsman replaced the maaceman (and are more historically accurate).

yeah, civ4 was good ...

Top Bottom