Oh, Monty...

jsweeney

American
So, I just bought Civ 5 a few days ago. I have to say I am impressed.

But, there is something that has bugged me.

I saw Montezuma was forming Units outside of my empire and knew he wanted to invade. So, I took advantage of this witness, prepared my troops to intercept his, and then went to the diplomacy screen. I suggested that I give him one of my pearl resources, and the deal was 587 gold for 90 turns of Pearl for the Aztecs.

The next turn, he declared war cancelling the pearl being sent, but he already gave me the 587 gold.

After 6 turns, he approached me with a simple peace treaty for a peace treaty. Fine by me.

Then, I went back to the trade screen, suggested Pearl for another 90 turns, and he offered me 616 gold! I made off pretty well with this deal, and I was wondering if anyone else experienced something like this.

Yes, I have. When Catherine massed her forces at my border, I sold her the last copy of a luxury for full price. She invaded the next turn. When the peace treaty came, she agreed to pay full price again.

There seems to be a disconnect between the AI programming that says "maneuver into position for attack, get ready to declare war" and the AI programming that says "trade gold now for luxuries now and in the future." When the first is turned on, the second should be turned off. My .02

You got that much gold for one luxury resource?:eek:Must be some nice pearls.

Seriously, though, how can you do that?I can never even get 300 for one.

You got that much gold for one luxury resource?:eek:Must be some nice pearls.

Seriously, though, how can you do that?I can never even get 300 for one.

the deal was 587 gold for 90 turns

I think that's your answer, he's playing on marathon.

I try to avoid selling luxes to AIs that I think I will DoW or be DoWed by. It certainly feels like an exploit, so if possible I will sell to a friendly civ or someone far away. If you want to use this tactic offensively, jsweeney, you can sell all your stuff to the AI you are about to DoW on. You'll get all your stuff back and can resell it again.

I try to avoid selling luxes to AIs that I think I will DoW or be DoWed by. It certainly feels like an exploit, so if possible I will sell to a friendly civ or someone far away. If you want to use this tactic offensively, jsweeney, you can sell all your stuff to the AI you are about to DoW on. You'll get all your stuff back and can resell it again.

I just moved up to deity, I need all the help I can get. :hammer2:

I keep having this thought that maybe, just maybe, the AI civ about to invade me will realize "Oh, if I declare war, my happiness will instantly drop. Maybe I shouldn't declare war." Sadly, I have yet to see that thought realized. Sigh.

I consider this type of deals as cheating, and i never use it in my single player games. This need to be fixed in the next patch. I think in civ 4, u could only sell resources for gold per turn not lump sum which can be a solution for this problem in civ5.

Selling in anticipation of them dowing isnt quite as bad as selling when youre about to DOW your neighbor. Would really like the selling resources for lump sums taken out altogether, though that would vastly change the game.

I consider this type of deals as cheating, and i never use it in my single player games. This need to be fixed in the next patch. I think in civ 4, u could only sell resources for gold per turn not lump sum which can be a solution for this problem in civ5.

I don't like to do things like this to the AI either.

And I think you're right about the way it is in Civ4.

Top Bottom