Unique Civ-Specific Great People Names

They are very helpful! I was not looking forward to researching a bunch of names for hypothetical ships (for the Celts, Maya, and so on) and this simplifies things greatly. I especially like the pirates.

My naming system is a bit different from yours in one respect, though: where possible, I used specific ship types. So the USS Enterprise is an American carrier, the USS Ticonderoga a cruiser, and the USS Shaw a destroyer. I think I might add in another generic category for nations without historical names, since it doesn't matter if the Malinese vessel Mountaga Tall is a DD or a CV, because it never existed.

Good work. :goodjob:

They are very helpful! I was not looking forward to researching a bunch of names for hypothetical ships (for the Celts, Maya, and so on) and this simplifies things greatly. I especially like the pirates.

My naming system is a bit different from yours in one respect, though: where possible, I used specific ship types. So the USS Enterprise is an American carrier, the USS Ticonderoga a cruiser, and the USS Shaw a destroyer. I think I might add in another generic category for nations without historical names, since it doesn't matter if the Malinese vessel Mountaga Tall is a DD or a CV, because it never existed.

Good work. :goodjob:

I am glad, I could help. :)

But I am not sure, if it is the best idea to use names one for one class of ships. For example there HMS Trafalgar was a sailing frigate, a SoTL later, then a submarine. Or quite some different ship types had ships with the name USS Saratoga. For the USA it is most easy to make this different categories. But it is more difficult for e.g. England and France, because they used the same names for very different ships. For example for Germany I found only a few big ships, most are small frigates or even mine layers. So I am a little bit worried, if it will be easy to get enough ships in some categories. But I wish you good luck. You can use from the lists, what is usefull, and where you have better ideas, just ignore the lists. :)

I am looking forward to the new version.

I am glad, I could help. :)

But I am not sure, if it is the best idea to use names one for one class of ships. For example there HMS Trafalgar was a sailing frigate, a SoTL later, then a submarine. Or quite some different ship types had ships with the name USS Saratoga. For the USA it is most easy to make this different categories. But it is more difficult for e.g. England and France, because they used the same names for very different ships. For example for Germany I found only a few big ships, most are small frigates or even mine layers. So I am a little bit worried, if it will be easy to get enough ships in some categories. But I wish you good luck. You can use from the lists, what is usefull, and where you have better ideas, just ignore the lists. :)

I am looking forward to the new version.

The only way I can think of doing this would be to make every unit work like a unique unit. In the sense that you have a UU replacement for each unit for each specific civ, and then from there you can give them names. I noticed this when making a Canada module and using the XML for the Canada Corps, which each come with their own unique unit name. So if you REALLY wanted to do this you'd have to make each one unique (otherwise every civ would get the names). Although that would probably become extremely tedious, it would work.

It is not necessary to use the SDK to do it, although that can work. You also do not need to use a UU for every unit. I have since written a Python module that gives civ-specific names to most modern units, including all naval units, plus GP. The nice part is that you can combine certain types to use the same lists, so it doesn't get too convoluted with separate names for destroyers and stealth destroyers and the like. And yes, this works with civ-specific art too.

So far I have only been using this with a friend on MP, but I might upload it someday if enough people are interested. I don't do much around here anymore because I don't have a lot of time.

Are you kidding? Of course there are people, who are interested. Also a version of this mod for BtS 3.17 would be really great.

Well, the problem is the new system uses a slightly different naming function, so it is all linear instead of random. This eliminates the need for a savegame/MP fix but reduces the number of unique GP names you will get overall. I could try to use the random naming just for GP, but then we have the same old issue.

Since this hasn't been a big deal for our MP games I haven't done much about it, but I know a lot of people like more variety and it might not be appealing to them.

Quick question. I used to have this mod before I had some computer trouble. All I managed to find now are the two python files. What else do I need to make this work?
Do I need to do something to the Civ4UnitInfos or the Civilation.ini file?

This mod looks really good, but the download link is down. Is there any chance you could re-upload the BtS version of the mod?

Civ-Specific Great People 2.0

I've completely redone the naming system, converted it all to Python and added a new option for sequential or random name ordering, for those who might want to have chronological great people.

This new BtS mod contains nearly 3,000 names, a slight increase from last time but largely the same. Again, the naming convention is done completely through Python this time, though I've deleted the original names from Civ4UnitInfos.XML to accomplish this. (But no gameplay changes have been made.) This is a self-contained mod, so you do not need to download Mexico's great general fix or anything else.

Known issues: the way the mod works right now, if you reload a saved game it resets the list, so you might get duplicate great people. If you also start a new game without reloading the mod first, it will use the existing (truncated) list, so you'll get fewer people than you should. The latter is fairly easy to fix with a refresh upon the start of a new game, but I do not know how to fix the former without exporting some kind of list within each save file.

Notes to modmakers: the system simply renames the units when they are born, so all you will see in the event log is "Great X has been born in Y!" This temporarily solves the problem that NikNaks brought up about being able to figure out who your opponents are before you meet them, but in a less-than-ideal way. I plan to add custom event notifications along with a simple check to see if you have met the target civ in the future to make things more interesting. One of my favorite parts was seeing all the other civs' names.

Anyways, enjoy. :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/./downloads.php?do=file&id=7844

EDIT: Oh, one last observation. I said this is a BtS version because I have included everything for all the new civs and the Great Spy unit. However, the way the Python is set up, you should be able to use it for Vanilla and Warlords as well, though I have not tested that. Just remember you will have to replace the included XML file with the appropriate Warlords or Vanilla Civ4UnitInfos.XML, and you'll need to delete the great people names, but that's it.

Could you make this for BTS v3.19? In case you haven't noticed the link on this is broken. Tell me if I being stupid by overlooking a newer version.

If nobody is going to fix this problem then this mod should get taken off the wiki.

I am working on an updated version of this that will incorporate numerous changes: removing unnecessary duplicate entries, adding some important figures left out of the last list, and generally improving the breadth and quality of the mod. It will take many weeks, however, because it is so time-consuming to do even a single civ's great people. Once that is done, I might release a separate modcomp with the military unit names.

EDIT: Removed links to the old lists and mod, which was lost in the database hack.

Is this for BTS 3.19? I would love to use this. how do you get it to decide what names to give. is it hardcoded into the SDK or is it in the XML wher I could modify it for the MaxRigaMod 1961 scenario I'm making?

I am working on an updated version of this that will incorporate numerous changes: removing unnecessary duplicate entries, adding some important figures left out of the last list, and generally improving the breadth and quality of the mod. It will take many weeks, however, because it is so time-consuming to do even a single civ's great people. Once that is done, I might release a separate modcomp with the military unit names.

EDIT: Removed links to the old lists and mod, which was lost in the database hack.

Awesome, I love this mod and am glad to see it is still being worked on. Thanks for your efforts.

Cheers,
ripple01

How exacly did you achieve this effect?
I have read through the XML files but am lost as to how you did it.
And the only downloads that work have nothing but xml in them.

Top Bottom