Civ-Specific Great People

I have an idea for mods that have flavor units: Civ-Specific Great People. You know how the modern great Artist looks like Elvis, and the Ancient one looks like Shakespeare? Well, we can do something like that for the other civs!

For example, England's modern Great Artist can be a mop-topped Beatle.

England can have Charles Darwin as a Great Scientist.

Germany (and maybe Israel too) can have Albert Einstein as a Great Scientist.

Now that I think of it, a lot civs have custom Great Generals...

Since the Capo is making Ireland, we'd like a Bono unit.

Maybe James Joyce, too as a Ancient/Medieval Great Artist.

I also wonder if there's an Irish Revolutionary General out there.

Just came up with two more units for Ireland.

Great Scientist Robert Boyle:

Great Prophet St. Columbanus:

This sounds like a neat idea.

I'm guessing you would need fourteen for each civ (seven GP's each with an ancient and a modern look). Might be a bit of a challenge, especially when you get to civs like the Aztecs or the Zulu, who don't have that many easily identifiable figures.

But for a start, I'd recommend units for:

America: Mark Twain, Thomas Edison, Ben Franklin, Bill Gates, George Patton, Ulysses S. Grant
Arabia: Abu Bakr
Byzantium: St Nicolas
Celtia: W.B. Yeats, Macbeth
China: Confucius
Dutch: Rembrandt, Vincent Van Gogh
Egypt: Moses
England: John Lennon, Issac Newton, Stephen Hawking, The Duke of Wellington
Ethiopia: Hallie Selassie
France: Joan of Arc, Marie Curie, Samuel de Champlain
Germany: Martin Luther, Wolfgang Mozart, Erwin Rommel
Greece:Homer, Socrates, Leonidas
Japan: Yamamoto
Native America: Crazy Horse
Persia: Zoroaster
Rome: Marcus Aurelius, Leonardo da Vinci, St. Paul, Galileo
Russia: Rasputin, Leon Trotsky, Leo Tolstoy
Spain: Pablo Picasso, El Cid
Vikings: Henrik Ibsen, Erik the Red

At least as a starter.

AFAIK Mozart was Austrian, not German. Although you could call Austran be a part of the german civilization I'd keep it for the Austrian Mod (I think there is one). For Germany I would use Beethoven instead. Or Goethe. He would also work as great artist.

hmmm... just thinking of what Hungarys great people could be... Elvis brought me on the idea of this guy:

That's János Kóbor. However, I would have to search a picture where he is younger. Tony Curtis could work as well. Maybe Uri Geller? Just kidding...
Great General could be Arthúr Görgey or Pál Maléter, but both are not undisputable. Hmm... there already are generic graphics for hungarian warlords, but they don't look like a certain person.
Mindszenty could work as great philosopher.
There are some scientists I could think of...
Great merchant would be more difficult.

If there is interest for creating great people for Hungary, let me know. I would do a kind of poll in the hungarian forum.

For the civs that don't have many identifiable characteristics, I usually go with someone for the group. For example, for many Mesoamerican civs, I would go with a Ricky Martin or Enrique Iglesias-esque dude as a modern Great Artist. Or I would look a for a modern incarnation. For example, Carlos Slim could be a Great Merchant for Mexico and Aztecs.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Carlos Slim was holding a cell phone, or if Bill Gates was hauling around a PC? Likewise, Isaac Newton could be holding an apple.

Maybe instead Mozart for Germany, we could have Beethoven. That way we could put in Austria (alongside Great Scientist Sigmund Freud).

I've actually got an idea... give the Great Artist some big white hair, replace the skull with an apple, and you've got Isaac Newton.

Top Bottom