Info Addict

First, thank you so much for this mod, Robk. It is both useful and fun.

However, there are some things missing from the mod, and if these improvements could be added, that would be very great. I didn't read through all eleven pages of discussion, so apologies if this has already been addressed, but:

(1) There is no "Science" historical data. There is a set of graphs called "Science", but the values given are the number of technologies each civ has researched rather than the number of beakers that civ is generating per turn. Could you please add a true "Science" historical data graph, and then rename the current "Science" graph to "Technologies"?

(2) Similarly, the "Culture" historical data actually gives the number of social policies each civ has taken rather than the amount of culture that civ is generating per turn. Could you please add a true "Culture" historical data graph, and then rename the current "Culture" graph to "Social Policies"?

(3) The population graph is misleading because it counts "demographic" population rather "true/game" population. For instance, suppose Civ A has 2 cities, each of population 4, for a total of 8 population, and Civ B has only 1 city, of population 6. Civ A has more population than Civ B. However, for demographic purposes, Civ5 considers each city of population 4 to be 48,000 people and each city of population 6 to be 150,000 people, so demographically, Civ A is considered to have 96,000 people and Civ B to have 150,000 people. This gives the misleading representation that Civ B has greater population than Civ A when in fact the opposite is true and Civ A has greater population than Civ B. Could you please add graphs for "true/game" population in addition to what you currently have, which is "demographic" population?

Robk, would it be possible for me to use your mod for my scenario (assuming I can figure out how to do that)?

First, thank you so much for this mod, Robk. It is both useful and fun.

However, there are some things missing from the mod, and if these improvements could be added, that would be very great. I didn't read through all eleven pages of discussion, so apologies if this has already been addressed, but:

(1) There is no "Science" historical data. There is a set of graphs called "Science", but the values given are the number of technologies each civ has researched rather than the number of beakers that civ is generating per turn. Could you please add a true "Science" historical data graph, and then rename the current "Science" graph to "Technologies"?

(2) Similarly, the "Culture" historical data actually gives the number of social policies each civ has taken rather than the amount of culture that civ is generating per turn. Could you please add a true "Culture" historical data graph, and then rename the current "Culture" graph to "Social Policies"?

(3) The population graph is misleading because it counts "demographic" population rather "true/game" population. For instance, suppose Civ A has 2 cities, each of population 4, for a total of 8 population, and Civ B has only 1 city, of population 6. Civ A has more population than Civ B. However, for demographic purposes, Civ5 considers each city of population 4 to be 48,000 people and each city of population 6 to be 150,000 people, so demographically, Civ A is considered to have 96,000 people and Civ B to have 150,000 people. This gives the misleading representation that Civ B has greater population than Civ A when in fact the opposite is true and Civ A has greater population than Civ B. Could you please add graphs for "true/game" population in addition to what you currently have, which is "demographic" population?

The first two are things I've identified as things I want to change in exactly the manner you laid out. Basically, I'm going to add a third pager link at the bottom and put the culture per turn and science per turn type stats in while renaming the existing ones to just the names you suggested.

On your third point, I had no idea that was the case! So, if it's possible (and I'm sure it is), I'll add another graph called something like "Aggregate City Size" or something like that adding up each city's size together for each civ and tracking that info.

I'm having some trouble adding your mod to my scenario, any suggestions?

Edit: I think I've got it, but I'm not sure its the way it is supposed to be done, I created a folder named info addict and one for each folder in it (Lua, Art, and XML), then copied all of those files in each of the respective files to the paralell files in my mod, not sure if this will work.... And is this a bad thing to do (like the equivalent of plagiarizing although I did give you credit)? I'm going to hold the release until you say its ok

I'm having some trouble adding your mod to my scenario, any suggestions?

Edit: I think I've got it, but I'm not sure its the way it is supposed to be done, I created a folder named info addict and one for each folder in it (Lua, Art, and XML), then copied all of those files in each of the respective files to the paralell files in my mod, not sure if this will work.... And is this a bad thing to do (like the equivalent of plagiarizing although I did give you credit)? I'm going to hold the release until you say its ok

As long as scenarios work like general mods (and I haven't done scenario stuff yet so I'm sure if they do), you'll also have to put the same entry points into your scenario that info addict uses. Pop open the modinfo file for Info Addict and you'll see this at the bottom:

Code:
<Actions>
    <OnModActivated>
      <UpdateDatabase>XML/InfoAddictText.xml</UpdateDatabase>
    </OnModActivated>
  </Actions>
  <EntryPoints>
    <EntryPoint type="InGameUIAddin" file="Lua/InfoAddictInit.lua">
      <Name>Info Addict Init</Name>
      <Description>Loads all Info Addict lua contexts</Description>
    </EntryPoint>
    <EntryPoint type="DiploCornerAddin" file="Lua/InfoAddictDiploCornerAddin.lua">
      <Name>Info Addict Diplocorner</Name>
      <Description>Adds a menu item for Info Addict to the diplo corner menu</Description>
    </EntryPoint>
  </EntryPoints>

You can also set up the same thing by going into modbuddy and setting up the XML action and entry points from there. For reference, I uploaded images showing what they look like when I'm in modbuddy.

Copying files in is about the only way you can package mods together so it's totally alright.

Attachments

• actiontab.jpg
    actiontab.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 195
  • contenttab.jpg
    contenttab.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 177
As long as scenarios work like general mods (and I haven't done scenario stuff yet so I'm sure if they do), you'll also have to put the same entry points into your scenario that info addict uses. Pop open the modinfo file for Info Addict and you'll see this at the bottom:

Code:
<Actions>
    <OnModActivated>
      <UpdateDatabase>XML/InfoAddictText.xml</UpdateDatabase>
    </OnModActivated>
  </Actions>
  <EntryPoints>
    <EntryPoint type="InGameUIAddin" file="Lua/InfoAddictInit.lua">
      <Name>Info Addict Init</Name>
      <Description>Loads all Info Addict lua contexts</Description>
    </EntryPoint>
    <EntryPoint type="DiploCornerAddin" file="Lua/InfoAddictDiploCornerAddin.lua">
      <Name>Info Addict Diplocorner</Name>
      <Description>Adds a menu item for Info Addict to the diplo corner menu</Description>
    </EntryPoint>
  </EntryPoints>

You can also set up the same thing by going into modbuddy and setting up the XML action and entry points from there. For reference, I uploaded images showing what they look like when I'm in modbuddy.

Copying files in is about the only way you can package mods together so it's totally alright.

Alright then, thanks a lot :) What I've found by the way with the scenario, is that to upload my scenario with your mod I have to create a mod file (as opposed to a map pack) and adding both your mod and my scenario to it (so it shouldn't be too difeernt).

Edit: Still having trouble getting it to recognize your mod, I can load the mod, but it doesn't recognize your mod. Thanks for all the help.

I'm just going to mention your mod and point the way to it becuase I can't figure out how to add your mod to my scenario (Its quite confusing). Thanks again for all the time and help.

I'm just going to mention your mod and point the way to it becuase I can't figure out how to add your mod to my scenario (Its quite confusing). Thanks again for all the time and help.

I'm sorry it didn't work out but, at least this way, you won't have to deal with integration issues when there are updates (which I will get to one of these days).

For some reason, InfoAddict isn't working. I've tried several versions (v10, v8, & v6) and none of them work.

What happens is I load up the game with InfoAddict, there is an InfoAddict button I can click when I click on the scroll, but nothing happens when I click on it.

ranger:

Please list all mods that you are currently running.

Secondly, when you start a game, do you do it through the Single Player button in the Main Menu, or do you do it inside the Mods menu?

ranger:

Please list all mods that you are currently running.

Secondly, when you start a game, do you do it through the Single Player button in the Main Menu, or do you do it inside the Mods menu?

Only InfoAddict.

I did it through the Mods Menu.

I'm having issues with it being able to record any data to actually display, whenever I open up the graph area it always says that there is no data yet (this is regardless of how many turns I've taken).

I've tested it via the mod browser version and the download link on the first page, same issue with both <InfoAddict (v10)>.

I've tried removing the mod, alongside everything in the cache folder and the ModUserData folder.

Details:
Vista x64
Civ5 1.0.1.135
Civ5 does not have admin privileges, I did try but with no success either.

I can't see any references to the mod in the log files, so I guess about the only thing I can supply you with is the database file: robk_InfoAddict-1.db

Any ideas?

Top Bottom