Mod Component Requests Thread

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Please post mod component requests in this thread.

Thanks.

I'm not certain if this applies as a mod component:

I'd like to be able to create a naval unit that gives the amphibious promotion, temporarily, to embarked units. This could simulate amphibious landing craft, Normandy style invasion capablility, or viking longships, for example. This ability should be restricted in application to perhaps melee and gunpowder units (or other applicable types).

Requesting some sort of averaged out use of resources.

While it is strategic to take out enemy resources such as oil and such, you have to make sure to get every last one if you want to disable his industry from using those resources to build units and improvements.

Would it possible to make it so an enemy with only access to one square of a certian resource can only produce so many units/improvements that require that resource at a time.

If say he has access to iron, three cities of his can build anything that requires iron but if he attemps to build a fourth it will be disallowed because he's maxed out his available resources. This way, if an enemy has say, access to three oil resources and you can destroy or capture two of him, he will be able to continue production of units that require oil but can now produce 66% less at a time. This could also apply to resource trading, if you want to produce more, you try to buy more from allies while your allies considder the value of these resouces to their own needs. If they're not fighting a war they really don't need all FOUR aluminum resources he has and can instead sell them off.

I'm sure there could be balance issues with this if it's not implimented correctly but it could have advantages.

request someone make mod to disable global warming... I don't know what i am doing, trying to figure it out though

Can somebody make a MOD, that allow to link resources, located on small islands?
I can trade across ocean, but unable to bring my goods from close island.
I hate that civ defect
:(

Another idea:

Water tile improvement, something like remote harbor or docks, allowing a not coastal city (but able to work on some water tiles) trade across a sea, harvest more food from water tiles and build naval units.

some more :)

Defence bonus for units, located on owned tile improvements cottage, hamlet, village, town for example 2%, 5%, 10%, 20%.
Similar penalties on enemys territory.

Attacks on (over) improvements have a very low chance of destroying that improvement. Why should cities be the only (improvement) one that suffers from invasions?
Serga has some good improvement ideas. *adds* Units on cottage improvements should fortify first for the defense bonus. Ocean improvements can have mulberry harbors that act as a culture tile to avoid (simulates organization) supply costs.

Not so much a request for a straight up implementation, but something I'd like a lot of modders to see. The same team who brought the "Big Vision for Civilization 4" document has offered a follow up, focused on modders looking to take full advantage of Civ 4's new modding capabilities.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=174346

Again, not so much looking for an implementation of any or all of these, but hoping that these will inspire discussion and creativity.

Some else ideas:

Water tile improvement "Bridge" allowing land units to pass through water and of course to connect resources into trade network.

Land tile improvement "Canal" allowing water units to pass through land and connecting cities to sea so they can build harbors, docks and ships.

I thought about this a while ago, before the SDK came out, but didnt have the programming knowledge to do it. I think some tech should be able to give you the ablility to share food around your empire. Food would be shown next to gold on the top right, then in each city menu you could set the amount each city gets, thus control its growth. Then add food as a tradable item to other civs. I think you could probibly steal most of the programming for it from the existing gold system the game has, just replace some of the code that refers to commerce/gold to refer to food, but the controls for distribution would have to be all new. I just think the game would be more real that way. Las Vegas could never support its population <in real life> by farming the desert around it.

Two things that i think def. need to be changed and added respectfully, are :

1) think that when in dip. screen u should be able to demand, techs, gold, cities, etc. without war.. they are red if the ai will not trade, so u cannot demand something if the ai will not trade it with u... this is a little unrealistic, u should be able to demand anything from a civ by threatening war...

2) I would really like to see a mod that makes it possible to say... using spys see what technology a civ is working on, and be able to demand they stop research on it.. this is very realistic in the modern era .. ie nukes , and i think it would be nice to see a mod that makes trading more micro.. i.e. make it so a civ can trade resources but not technologies.. ie technology trading bans.. etc. with the sdk this should be possible, going to look into it ..

Have the feature of "ZOC" (Zone of Control) been put up yet?
Still a nuisance that my forts and units are easily bypassed.

Also, following on from the ZOC, artillery units doing the defensive bombard, on a passing enemy, or before being attacked.

I doubt you'll ever see ZOC done with any level of sophistication, since the amount of effort it would take to teach the AI is astronomical. Pathfinding problems are one of the oldest areas of AI, and let me assure you that there have been very few breakthroughs in the past 60 years.

I have an idea for a mod. I'm not sure how easy/hard this would acually be, but..

Going off the idea of City GPP Threshholds, what about if each city could research their own tech.

So Washington and New York could be working on Hunting, Boston and Miami on Monotheism, and Canton on Bronze Working.

Just a vague idea, but would be cool.

Maybe as a setting stone could just start with being able to research multiple techs with science points being split evenly among each tech being researched. :)

dh_epic said:
I doubt you'll ever see ZOC done with any level of sophistication, since the amount of effort it would take to teach the AI is astronomical. Pathfinding problems are one of the oldest areas of AI, and let me assure you that there have been very few breakthroughs in the past 60 years.

Really?

That's quite a shame. Oh Firaxis. :(

Is there anything possible around this area?

dh_epic is being a little pesimistic here. ZOC is a very real posibility and the only hard part is the AI reconizing that it exists and to those with sdk skills I imagine this isn't that hard of a task. You will see a good ZOC at some point, I garontee it. :)

There are still pathfinding problems as old as computing (60 years) that AIs cannot solve, but humans can. These are hardcore scientists who have spent 25 years advancing their own education, and work on these problems full time. Not modders. If it's pessimistic for me to believe that the human will not only have an advantage but a BIG advantage over the AI for ZOC, then I'm curious what you think is realistic. :)

I'm by no means expecting anything revolutionary in the feild of AI pathfinding, but I don't see any reason a ZOC equivalent to, if not noticably better then, Civ2's can't be done.

Just as it decides how dangerous a stack of units is or how powerful one city is compared to another, the AI can understand that if it enters a ZOC square it will be attacked, or lose movement or defense or whatever.

I agree that in video games the human will have a distinct advantage over the computer for many years to come, but a fun, effecient, and playable ZOC is doable in Civ4. It is just a matter of time until one of the elite codes it up. :)

EDIT: I love dicussing AI, it is a life long passion of mine, but this is not the place. If you want, start a thread in the appropriate forum and pm me the link. I'm happy to debate this with you further. :>

Top Bottom