General discussion thread

Hi, where do i find this new "button" cultural linked start" ?

havent found it. And if i dont use him 8 civs will start at spain on one point :/
"Cultural Linked Start" will be a part of Alpha6 and you will find it at custom game. And I'm very sad but I must tell you that you will have to wait for Alpha 6 about 3-4 weeks. There is really a lot of trouble in real life at the moment. Sorry but CCV must wait at the moment. :(

And Alpha 6 will have not more religions but they will spread a bit different.

Can you make in more Religions like the Religion of Rome and Greece or the Religion in America and other Native Religions and then the Orhodox and Lutheranism or the 2 Islams and when come out from 1 to 2 Religions some towns go to the new, but the most by the old.

To the Native Religions :
You can make that has every civ on the begin a native-religion ,but not all the others ,i think so :
1.Indians
2.Maya, Aztecs, Inca
3.Zulu, Mali
4.Aegypt,Äthiopia
5.Arabia
6.Babylon, Iran ,Turkey
7.Greece, Rome, Karthago ,Byzant
8.Spain, France ,England ,Britain, Germany
9.Russia, Skandinavia
10.India, Khmer ,Chinese ,Korea ,Japan
11.Mongolei

Also 11 Native Religions

Just started playing with this project and I am finding it a fantastic experience. The only issue I couldn't get around was one game I tried at the Extra Slow speed, where every capital in the game instantly achieved Legendary Culture. I think the scaling of the culture upgrade values is askew for the much slower speed games.

One thing I would suggest as an additional feature is used in the Revolution mod standalone. It's the dynamic civ naming based on civics (and the civ itself in some cases), like Rome being the Roman Republic when using Representation, or the Kingdom of Rome when using Hereditary Rule. A small thing for flavor, but I liked it a lot.

Just started playing with this project and I am finding it a fantastic experience. The only issue I couldn't get around was one game I tried at the Extra Slow speed, where every capital in the game instantly achieved Legendary Culture. I think the scaling of the culture upgrade values is askew for the much slower speed games.

One thing I would suggest as an additional feature is used in the Revolution mod standalone. It's the dynamic civ naming based on civics (and the civ itself in some cases), like Rome being the Roman Republic when using Representation, or the Kingdom of Rome when using Hereditary Rule. A small thing for flavor, but I liked it a lot.

The Dynamic Civ Names are in game but not activated because they won't work in German. You can activate them in the .ini!

And if you like this version you will love the next. I'm working hard on a big surprise at the moment. :cool:

€: Maybe I was wrong and the activation isn't in the .ini! If that's true it is in the gameoption.xml. Have a look at the end of the file and if it is there set both 0 to 1.

The Dynamic Civ Names are in game but not activated because they won't work in German. You can activate them in the .ini!

And if you like this version you will love the next. I'm working hard on a big surprise at the moment. :cool:

Awesome and awesome. :goodjob: I'm still getting used to the new terrain yields and the concept of being able to build cottages where I couldn't before.

Looking forward to the next release.

Can you make in more Religions like the Religion of Rome and Greece or the Religion in America and other Native Religions and then the Orhodox and Lutheranism or the 2 Islams and when come out from 1 to 2 Religions some towns go to the new, but the most by the old.

To the Native Religions :
You can make that has every civ on the begin a native-religion ,but not all the others ,i think so :
1.Indians
2.Maya, Aztecs, Inca
3.Zulu, Mali
4.Aegypt,Äthiopia
5.Arabia
6.Babylon, Iran ,Turkey
7.Greece, Rome, Karthago ,Byzant
8.Spain, France ,England ,Britain, Germany
9.Russia, Skandinavia
10.India, Khmer ,Chinese ,Korea ,Japan
11.Mongolei

Also 11 Native Religions

Can you say sth. to that ?

Although I was working on the religion theme I stopped it to do something else. There were problems with the storage system of a part mod and I had no time and motivation to rework it. Didn't even make sense to me while waiting for a new BUG and Revolution version. But I must tell you that I don't like it that some nations should have an early religion while others haven't. For balance the civs must be more or less equal. And I'm even not sure if I will make a difference between the early religions! Maybe I will make only one early unspecified religion. That seems better to me because early religions often mix up with others (for example Roman and Greek, those even mixed up with religions from the East) without causing any problems. I really don't know at the moment...

I decided first to use my less freetime for bugsearch in Alpha 5. But I'm very sorry - I can't find the late game bug. :sad: I'm even not sure if it is a mistake in my code. If it is I will find it while building Alpha 6!

And so I started my new top secret project :shifty: while the bugfix of the Revolution mod seem to take some time. And Alpha 6 must be rebuild from the base because there are so many changes in BUG and other parts. :cry: But that's the best chance to do something like the EC-Project. :p And the first part (AAD) is almost done. It will need later a part of RB but that's a small job when RB is done. And the next similar parts (ASD and ALD) shouldn't take too much time too. But CC and BM are heavy and will need more time because those require complete new code and I've done nothing similar in the past. And so I've got to learn how to do it first.

Any ideas what the EC-Project is about? :D

well going by the standard of your current work Im sure we'll all be pleasantly surprised!

Btw, I'll soon be updating my extended random events mod, should have c.20 new events. I'd be very proud if you considered it for inclusion!

Regards,
HDK

I might be just stupid, but how do I install this mod? I downloaded the file, my Civ Complete is uptodate. I could find any .exe to extract so I just put the extracted folder into my mod folder. But when I look in game under "Mods" I can only find other one, but no Community Civ....

What do I do wrong?

Edit:
Ah, there are like 34235 Mods Folders, now I found the right one!

Hey guys,

part one of my Experience & Combat Project is done. And I think you all will like it. The New Bombard Concept, Ranged Bombard, Active Defense, Stack Attack and the Bombing Missions are done. Opportunity Fire will be reworked soon too. As you may notice are a lot of parts inspired by DCM although they work different. This is really not DCM. But big thanks to Dale for his good job. A lot of code parts were very usefull:goodjob:

And here is a first screen for you.

Hey guys,

part one of my Experience & Combat Project is done. And I think you all will like it. The New Bombard Concept, Ranged Bombard, Active Defense, Stack Attack and the Bombing Missions are done. Opportunity Fire will be reworked soon too. As you may notice are a lot of parts inspired by DCM although they work different. This is really not DCM. But big thanks to Dale for his good job. A lot of code parts were very usefull:goodjob:

Very interesting.

Also, is that Firepower/Hitpoints I see on the unit stats?

It´s me again: We playing this very nice mod in the multiplayer mode and are encountering two problems:

First, we always run up to some revolution thing where we can click on Accept terms, Reject terms etc. Sadly I can´t figure out which mod this because it is somewhat annoying because we don´t know how to prevent this. Can someone help us out with this because we have to quit every game because one of us can´t do anything anymore.

Second this mod has a bug: When one of us gets the notice, it also appears on the other´s screens and if they click on a different option the game is desycned....

Well, just some noob talking

Hey guys,

I liked DCM but this seems to become even better :crazyeye: Unfortunately I will not be able to play the mod until February 2009 because I am abroad...

Very interesting.

Also, is that Firepower/Hitpoints I see on the unit stats?

No! :cool:

Every unit with a bombard range > 0 has got two new types of bombard power. The first strength is against units the other strength is against buildings. This very usefull for a lot of units.

Please even notice that those missions can be also available for land and sea units. And notice also that the range of the artillery was 1.0 and not only 1! This was a hint for you that there are now new ranges between 0 and 1. ;) And please even notice that I created a accuracy divergence. This should give you a hint for the new mechanics behind my mod. Normal units like artillery, battleship, bombers will always hit the target - sometimes more, sometimes less. But guided missiles wil work different now. They will represent now really one or a small group of missiles. So they will be effective against single targets like ships and buildings but not against full units or the current production. Guided missiles will work now really different. And remember - hit doesn't mean destroy.

My mod should solve a lot of old problems. Carriers are now the heros of the sea and no more battleships. Your fighters and gunships will sink damn old invasion fleets before they arrive your coast. Bowman will now support your units in close combat from walls and behind lines. They can even do archer bombard onto targets but always expect opportunity fire if the defender has got units with the same or higher range. The bombard result depends now on a lot of things. The power of the units, the current power of the units, the bombard power, the terrain,... and there are now also two random components to simulate luck, weather,...

But this was only part 1. In part 2 I will rework the transport system and the air interception system. You want to hunt the V1 with fighters? You can do in the future. You don't want simple guns or early fighters to be effective against your jet fighters or stealth bombers? That will be after part 2... :D

Hi Thomas,

Christmas eve is approaching rapidely and the exitement rises... I think a lot of people are also waiting for the next release of your beautiful patch. Could you please post the status quo of your project.... ???

I'm still waiting - and there are surely more people feeling the same...

Give us a sign Master of Civ V ;-)

Sorry guys,

I've got bad news for you. The Experience and Combat Project is much harder and much more work than I expected. I won't be able to finish it this year, I think. Sorry guys. :(

I'm very sorry because I made a big mistake. I thought that I could build my project around DCM but as I had to found out parts of mine won't work with DCM and there are also some bugs in DCM. For example the Stack Attack with more than one invisible naval unit.

And so I've lost lots of time because I had to start again. Sorry.

All I've got for you at the moment is a more detailed overview of my project. And here it is:
Spoiler :
The Experience and Combat Project

· Combined Combat (by Thomas SG) done nothing – Dales Stack Attack removed because of failures and errors

· New Ranged Bombard Concept (by Thomas SG and Dale) in progress – good preparations

The new bombard concept assigns to a unit three new tags. All units have now a bombard range. The bombard range is graded in steps of 0.1 between 0 and 1. Beyond that it goes in full steps of 1. Furthermore all units have two bombard power values. The first value tells you the strength against soft targets. Typical examples for soft targets are infantry units, mounted units and the population of cities. The second value tells you the strength against hard targets. Typical examples for hard targets are mechanized units (like ships and armored units) and all kinds of buildings.
The advantage of this concept is for example a well done archer and ranged bombardment as well as a simple realization of anti-person weapons. It even allows to give modern units like tanks a bombard capability without breaking the balance.

And this is absolutly needed with the new concept for forts, city walls and castles. Please notice that the bonus of city wall and castle won’t accumulate! City walls are somehow the first defense line while the castle is the second line when the walls are conquered.

Elements like the limited bombard damage and the bombardable city defense are no more in game. Defensive buildings give units now a direct defense bonus like terrains or features do. Furthermore units may get an extra bonus if they are defending important cities. That is the result of an increased motivation. Especially the defense of the capital and holy cities will motivate your soldiers. But also the cultural and infrastrucal development of cities will influence the motivation bonus. This bonus can be reduced by the destruction of buildings but never be wiped out if it is a capital or holy city.

· Active Defense (by Dale and Thomas SG) done – but recalculate damage after New Ranged Bombard Concept – made for combined combat

Active Defense allows units to attack enemy troops when they come close to their position. Notice that the attacked enemy troops can hardly do anything against the attack. They just can try to intercept the first wave of the defenders but they can’t shoot back immediately.

But there are just a few weapon systems in CCV that have the needed capabilities for Active Defense. Only patroling fighters and jets, units with heavy artillery, helicopters and missile armed units like the mobile missile artillery and missile cruisers can do so.

· Opportunity Fire (by Thomas SG and Dale) good preparations – made for combined combat

The bombardment of enemy positions is no more free of risk because the bombardment will betray the position of your bombarding units. This gives the enemy the chance to start a concentrated opportunity fire if he has got weapons of the same or higher range. So it is a good advice to bombard with lots of units at the same time to spread the opportunity fire.

· Bombing Missions (by Dale and Thomas SG) good preparations

Lots of units have now the capability to bombard units and defensive buildings. But while this requires just a small range the quite precise bombardment of other predefined targets requires heavy modern artillery with high range or air units. But always keep in mind that the defender could be able to intercept bombarding air units or may start the opportunity fire if the attacker is in range. And always keep in mind too that even a well aimed bombardment may miss its target.

There are now six types of missions in CCV:

Target Bombardment – Military
Choose this mission to attack land units and military important buildings. If existing the highest priority of this mission is the destruction of fort, city wall and castle because those buildings increase now the defensive capabilities against all land units (also gunpowder units). But the destruction of this buildings is typically quite difficult but possible with the early catapults, feasible with trebuchets and cannons and quite easy with modern weapons like artillery and bombers. If there are no high priority targets or the unit is not capable to attack them other targets will be choosen. Modern weapons of high range or air units may attack all kind of other interessting buildings like barracks, stable, military academies or even the Pentagon. Just port and airport are not included in this mission although they are of military interest because there is a separate mission to attack them. While the attack of other buildings requires a high attack range land units can be attacked by all bombard capable units. This includes also an archer bombardment! But with intact defensive buildings it may have just a small effect.

Target Bombardment – Port
Choose this mission to attack port near buildings like harbor, light house or drydock and of course ships in port. The destruction a ship in port is much easier than the destruction of the same ship in the open sea!

Target Bombardment – Airport
Choose this mission to attack airships, fighters, jets and (strategic) bombers on the airfield and of course the airport itself. Just patroling fighters can escape from a successful bombardment if the attacker passed the your air or missile defense.

Target Bombardment – Industry
Choose this mission to destroy all kinds of industrial buildings from forge to industrial park. The scope of this mission is also the destruction of all kinds of power plants.

Target Bombardment – Current Production
Choose this mission to damage the current production.

Area Bombardment
Choose this mission if you desire the maximum damage and if it doesn’t matter to you what is hit. But don’t choose this mission if you want to try to avoid to hit civil targets or risk massive losses under the population.

· Advanced Invisibility System (by Thomas SG) done

The Advanced Invisibility System was made to design a better naval combat.

It allows units to see as many invisible classes as you like. Furthermore you can define an independed invisibility probability with an accuracy of 1% for all invisible classes that the unit can see. Moving respectively patroling around in a small area will increase the chance to see an invisible unit but it also increases the chance to betray your position if you are invisible yourself. But in some cases moving may also cause a loss of contact to an already detected unit!

There are now three naval invisibility classes in CCV:
Conventional Submarine - Silent Submarine - Stealth Ship

· New Vision Concept (by Prime0ver and Thomas SG) done – better graphics required

The vision range depends now on other more plausible factors and new vision improvements.

Before the invention of the spyglass and radar scouts and good positions on hills are the only way to a good terrain overview. Without them you will just see the immediate vicinity and near mountain areas if your view isn’t blocked by trees. So it’s now a good advice to have scouts or units with the scout promotion with you. Otherwise the next ambush may be near.
The inventions of the spyglass and the radar will improve your vision range. Those inventions are especially useful for your navy. But even spyglass and radar will never make scouts useless.

Furthermore the new two vision improvements can help you to control your terrain – the sonar buoyer and radar tower.
The sonar buoyer has a good chance to detect all kinds of ships and submarines. Of course the sonar buoyer just can control water areas. Please even think about the blocking effect of land masses when you place your bouyers!
The radar tower increases the view over land and sea. The radar tower helps you to detect land units and ships. But trees, mountains and peaks can also block the view of the radar. So it’s a good advice to place them at the coast or on mountains.

· Advanced Interception System (by Thomas SG) done

The Advanced Interception System was made to design a better air combat.

The new system is still based on the both well known interception concepts – interception by unit and interception by SDI. Aircrafts can be intercepted by units while rockets can be intercepted by SDI. But missiles can now be intercepted by both.
The Advanced Interception System assigns to aircrafts now an air level and to all interceptors an
interception level. Defenders can intercept units up to the next higher level. The interception probability
is related to the level. The probability will change by factor 2 per deviate level.

CCV uses this system to grade the air interception technology. It allows for example to make a machine gun or a flak a useful weapon against airships but useless against modern jet fighters. It also allows hunting flying bombs with fighters and gives your jet fighters, mobile SAMs and missile cruisers a chance to intercept guided missiles.

· New Cargo Concept (by Thomas SG) almost done – AI okay, texts seem okay, but load routine must be reworked

The new cargo concept allows to reserve parts of the cargo space for special cargos.

CCV uses this concept to give units the capability to cargo different special cargo types. For example it is now possible to give submarines the capability to cargo missiles and persons.

· Capitulation and Desertation (by Thomas SG) nothing done

Whenever units haven’t got the chance to withdraw from a lost combat they will capitulate in 50% of cases. And 10% of the capitulating units will even show allegiance to the winner.
If a unit capitulates the winner will conquer the equipment and set up a unit of the same unit type with a damage of 60%. But the unit will have no experience, promotions and even no special unit promotions (like discipline, amphibious or blitz). Only if the beaten unit showed allegiance to the winner the unit will keep all this things. Conquered units won’t heal if the winner hasn’t got the needed technologies. But even if the winner has got the needed technologies mechanized units will only heal with half speed because of the different foreign technology.

But your army won’t only suffer from desertation after lost combats. In war times desertation can hurt all your non mechanized troops. The desertation quota can be up to 10% of the current troop strength. The desertation quota depends on different factors. The desertation quota will be the smaller the more your people dislike the enemy nation. So keep an eye onto the nation relation ship. But also the relative military power of your own and the enemy army will influence the quota. If your troops are hopelessly inferior to the enemy the desertation will increase. Also the general war weariness can support the desertation.

· Terrain Tactics (by Thomas SG) done

The Terrain Tactics were designed to specialize units with reference to their origin and combat experience.

All Terrain Tactics are high effective promotions. For the first level of those promotions units must be made up of people who grow up in the terrain or had a successful fight in the terrain. For the second and third level a successful fight is absolutly necessary. A unit is made up of people with terrain experience if a fitting terrain can be found in the owned city radius of the creating city.

There are seven Terrain Tactics in CCV:
City Attack – City Defense – Forest Combat – Jungle Combat – Hill Combat – Desert Combat – Snow Combat

· Mechanic, Medic and Red Cross (by Thomas SG) done

The units are now divided in non mechanized and mechanized units. While mechanized units can heal faster with a mechanic, non mechanized units can heal faster with a medic or with the Red Cross. The Red Cross is now a Team Project that gives the first medic promotion for free to all units if they can acquire this promotion.

Units can also be hybrid. Those units can theoretical heal extreme fast because they can get the mechanic and medic promotion. The only example for a hybrid unit in CCV is the Mechanized Infantry.

· Equal Promotions and Smart Unit Upgrade (by Thomas SG) done

The Smart Unit Upgrade reduces all classes of promotions by one level except the leader promotions. This procedure makes allowances for the fact that even veterans aren’t in relation as good with the new weapons and tactics as with their old. Because of the equal promotion costs of 8 XP per promotion the reached XP won’t be reduced anymore. The XP from buildings and Great Generals are suitable to the new system.

· War Games (by The Lopez, Dale and Thomas SG) some preparations

Not finally planed – but it will use a MAD Nukes Rework, Nuke Bombers, the Nuclear Weapon Team Project and perhaps a Missile Silo Concept and Mobile Missile Carriers.

· Unit Pack (by Thomas SG) some preparations

· Formation and Scale (by Thomas SG) graphical only - some preparations

· Cultural Units (by Artists) graphical only - future plan

The New Cargo Concept is now done and works perfect.:banana: Damn hard job...
Bombard Missions now in progress

Change: now their will be a new standard bombard mission for all ranged units (range 0.1 or higher) that attacks units or defensive buildings (high priority targets) This is a former part of military target bombardment. All real ranged units (range 1 or higher) will get the new 6 bombard missions + the standard mission. So now the Military Taget Bombardment knows no more high priority targets. If you want to attack them just choose the standard mission.

Hi Thomas, it's been a long time ago since i heard something about your project. Can you give me/us a status quo of your mod ? I'm still waiting for the next extension of your mod. Please give us a sign :)))

The next version is coming soon.

I expect the test in 3-4 weeks. What about my test team? How would like to test?

The first test (in 1-2 weeks) is the general vista test. I think Cybah will do it for me.

If successful we will do a stability, bug and balance test with two teams. A team for German and a team for English. Both with 5 members. I want:

2 modders per team (as they can help me to find bugs and there origin)
2 advanced players (can win king or higher, has no big trouble with prince)
1 free (but please no civ newbee)

Test team members and Keldath are set if they want to test.

Official details about the new version after the Vista test. Inofficial details by informers and double agents... :cool:

The first test (in 1-2 weeks) is the general vista test. I think Cybah will do it for me.

I would... if I had Vista. :p Too bad my own mod does not seem stable on Vista and I can not test it myself.

Top Bottom