Star Trek Online... Anyone Interested

I've fallen in love with the Klingon game. I would much rather level through PvP than repetitive and tedious quests, and I find the Klingon way of kit improvement just that much more rewarding. And even if I get bored there's a surprising amount of diversity in the game. Definitely gonna buy it, dunno how long I'll play it though.

Pre-orders start playing today. I know several of my friends are in, and I will probably grab a pre-order on the way home today.

One friend of mine last night mentioned that if you were in the beta, you are in the pre-order? Not sure how that would work - just put your CC information on your account maybe?

Can anyone confirm if you are in on the early launch if you were part of the beta without getting a pre-order key? Would be nice to know.

Pre-orders get early start tomorrow at 10AM, so I guess I'm not leaving the house. Set phasers on fun..:mischief:

Anyone know if I actually have to buy the game box to play, or can I just subscribe monthly via the web? (I was in Open Beta so have an account there already.)

Anyone know if I actually have to buy the game box to play, or can I just subscribe monthly via the web? (I was in Open Beta so have an account there already.)

You gotta buy the game either from a store or digital download.

Balls... another £40 =/ Also I found out that the UK prices didn't include VAT, so that it's actually 17.5% more expensive than WoW =/

I'll still get it though. :D

Played a bit with a couple of friends last night. We got up to LT:4 and had a fun time with the early missions.

Now I am trying to see which skills I want in my BOs.

I picked up a tac officer with Photon Torp spread (the AoE attack) and am wondering if one with the Phaser Overload skill or High Yield Torp would be better?

I got High Yield Torp. at skill 6. Takes about 35 seconds to power back up.

So is this game actually fun, or is it just about developing some trick-horse combos like in WoW?

agh! who was I kidding? as of today I am a STO player. kinda wondering when I'll find the time. *looks at watch* oh, right....

one more klingon then.

One of us! One of us! :D

yes I am.

hmm, no. walked by a department store wednesday, it was on display and I thought "might as well".

I just picked up STO this morning and went through the Borg and Orion scenarios (episodes? missions?) over the last couple hours. Still a complete n00b, I'm surviving but other than steering the ship and firing I'm pretty much clueless on how to do anything. But, this is my first MMPORG, and it seems pretty cool, so for the moment I'm sticking with it. The instancing is annoying, though - if you want to hook up with a friend or three online (without forming/joining a fleet/clan/whatever), is it possible to do so?

I just picked up STO this morning and went through the Borg and Orion scenarios (episodes? missions?) over the last couple hours. Still a complete n00b, I'm surviving but other than steering the ship and firing I'm pretty much clueless on how to do anything. But, this is my first MMPORG, and it seems pretty cool, so for the moment I'm sticking with it. The instancing is annoying, though - if you want to hook up with a friend or three online (without forming/joining a fleet/clan/whatever), is it possible to do so?

Absolutely. Hitting the 'O' key brings up the social menu and from that hit 'friends' and you can add or remove players as friends.

Its also possible to switch to whichever instance you all want to play in as well, though I cant remember the function for it atm. But I am routinely able to group up with friends online, and run missions together. Missions also increase in difficulty based on how many are in your group as well, so if your doing a 'patrol' mission which has about 5-7 sub-missions, you will end up with a boatload of experience by the time you finish the mission and call it back in to starfleet.

You can often finish missions up quicker as well by dividing tasks and proceeding accordingly. But doing this can often find a team member jumped and outnumbered pretty quick so ymmv.

Missions also increase in difficulty based on how many are in your group as well, so if your doing a 'patrol' mission which has about 5-7 sub-missions, you will end up with a boatload of experience by the time you finish the mission and call it back in to starfleet.

and you get some nifty loot. don't forget to keep your eye out for simple pve quests that will give you reawrds a klingon would kill a tribble for.

Aside from the fact that the game was released waaaay before it was ready, leading to lots of annoying downtimes and major lag, even a week after release (I don't remember WoW being this bad a week on, although I might have been on a quiet server-group), I'm enjoying it, and will probably pony up the extortionate fees (way more than WoW, and way more than yanks pay for it, even before tax).

I'm waiting for the lag to die down during peak times before starting a Klingon character, or else I'll either have long waits between PvP games or too much lag to make PvP even an option.

PS. How what level are you guys? I started in anger on Saturday morning, and got to lvl 11 by Sunday night, just in time to have a couple hours with my new ship :goodjob:

BTW, before you find this out the hard way.... You're allowed to change your ship name once, from the default, for free. After that, you have to pay 3,000 starfleet merits (!!!!) to change it. So basically, get it right the first time, or you'll be stuck with a dumb name for another 10 lvls :p

Top Bottom