Crusader Kings 2

I got a loading message once that said it was F10 or F8 (I forget which one, it was a high even number though) which would create a map of the current mapmode you are on.

I'll try one of those to see if it works. I have a tradition of taking a map screenshot every time I got a new ruler in EU3, and I was going to do it for this game as well. Unfortunately, I'm about 70 years in and on my third Leonese monarch already. :(

After this game, I was thinking of playing as the King of Scotland and trying to consolidate the Isles, the Norwegian islands, and maybe push the English back a little bit. I also want to try somebody in Hungary, but I think that would be a difficult game because you'd be squashed between the two Roman Empires and the Mongols when they show up. Maybe when I get more experience.

My second try was as Poland, I figure spawning next to some pagans means free Holy War, but they spawn absurd amounts of armies, read something about a fertility shrine that's supposed to increase their armies but they where raising 3000 man armies from a 3 land duchy while Poland with about 7-9 lands was only able to raise about 1500, the other small pagan countries then declared war on me flooding my land with about 10,000 pagans and forcing a ragequit.
I played my first game as Poland and conquered all pagan lands bordering me in plenty of time before my first king died. Were you raising your personal levies as well as your realm levies? 1500 sounds pretty low compared to what I was raising. I didn't have problems with the other Pagan nations DOWing me, either. I just conquered them one at a time.

Did you hire any mercenaries? Those are a gigantic advantage in early warfare, and the King of Poland should have plenty of dough to spend.

I actually think warfare is by far the easiest part of the game to master. It was really the only thing I did well in that Poland game.

I'm still waiting to see if I win TheLoneGunman's contest, before I will know whether or not I'm a CK-II game owner.

AAR submissions have closed... now we're just waiting for a Moderator to create a poll for us.

I'll try one of those to see if it works. I have a tradition of taking a map screenshot every time I got a new ruler in EU3, and I was going to do it for this game as well. Unfortunately, I'm about 70 years in and on my third Leonese monarch already. :(

After this game, I was thinking of playing as the King of Scotland and trying to consolidate the Isles, the Norwegian islands, and maybe push the English back a little bit. I also want to try somebody in Hungary, but I think that would be a difficult game because you'd be squashed between the two Roman Empires and the Mongols when they show up. Maybe when I get more experience.

I'm playing as Scotland right now, and I have taken all of the Duchy of Northumbria and the Isles about 85 years in (1151), currently working my way towards conquering Ireland. It's a fun game, especially watching England collapse in on itself after the AI King made the horrible mistake of DOWing me. Right now, Wales (!) controls most of what used to be England due to the Duke of Lancaster inheriting the throne of said country. England is now more or less a weak "kingdom" on the south coast.

I'm playing as Scotland right now, and I have taken all of the Duchy of Northumbria and the Isles about 85 years in (1151), currently working my way towards conquering Ireland. It's a fun game, especially watching England collapse in on itself after the AI King made the horrible mistake of DOWing me. Right now, Wales (!) controls most of what used to be England due to the Duke of Lancaster inheriting the throne of said country. England is now more or less a weak "kingdom" on the south coast.

Did you start as Scotland? Their demesne is only 1 province, so it looks pretty difficult. I was thinking of starting as a duchy and then taking the kingdom later, not sure how that would work though.

I'm pretty terrible at the heir-management/dynasty/intrigue part of the game. Which is to say, the most important part.

Did you start as Scotland? Their demesne is only 1 province, so it looks pretty difficult. I was thinking of starting as a duchy and then taking the kingdom later, not sure how that would work though.

I'm pretty terrible at the heir-management/dynasty/intrigue part of the game. Which is to say, the most important part.

Started as Scotland right from the Stamford Bridge start. It is really all about keeping the vassals happy, and if you manage to do that everything falls in place. As for demesne, I currently have 3 and am making 6 gold/month. Don't raise crown authority above medium (just enough to prevent vassal infighting) and you should be good.

Started as Scotland right from the Stamford Bridge start. It is really all about keeping the vassals happy, and if you manage to do that everything falls in place. As for demesne, I currently have 3 and am making 6 gold/month. Don't raise crown authority above medium (just enough to prevent vassal infighting) and you should be good.

I raised it to medium in my Leon game and immediately had a massive revolt, and I don't know if it got reset somehow because one of my vassals took a title from another via force.

Here's a hint you better heed - do not marry into the Holy Roman Empire! I did a lot of marrying into the Empire to secure alliances but all it ended up doing was giving the emperor (at one point my grandson) claims on all of my duchies. He pressed them in war, left me with 3 counties, leading me to resign. All of my hard work gone. :(

The HRE is pretty strong, it's taken just about all of Italy and Tunis in my game. Their capital has been moved to Tunis, for some reason.

Were you marrying your daughters or sons into the HRE? I think stealing an HRE princess or duchess is fine, but letting your people go to their court is dangerous.

The HRE is pretty strong, it's taken just about all of Italy and Tunis in my game. Their capital has been moved to Tunis, for some reason.
What is the HRE's capital at gamestart?

Does the game permit a player to not use a capital, and instead to practice a 'roving' kingship, like most period rulers did?

What is the HRE's capital at gamestart?

Does the game permit a player to not use a capital, and instead to practice a 'roving' kingship, like most period rulers did?

Bamburg if I am not mistaken.

I am not sure, I have seen capitols change frequently, but I am not 100% sure what drives this mechanic.

I think that's right, there may have been a revolt by the Duke of Swabia that forced the Emperor to select a new location. I think the capital location is based on where your primary kingdom/duchy is located if you have multiple titles. So, I think the HRE took enough territory from sultans in Tunis and Algeria to create the Kingdom of Africa, then selected the Kingdom of Africa as their primary title, and so the capital moves to the primary castle in Tunis (whatever it's called).

Side note: I wish the crusading French and Germans would actually take on the Middle East. They have the resources to take on the Caliphates, I haven't for about a century although I'm starting to get there. I'd gladly declare war and join the crusade if their armies were being fielded as well, but I think my 14-15k would get clown-stomped without their help. But instead, they are romping around in my backyard, taking the Spanish territory that should be mine. And Jerusalem is still under Muslim rule. :(

I have never seen fit to move my capital from Leon, but I think I could. My primary titles are Queen of Leon, Castille, and Portugal (had a bit of a succession hiccup and got a lady on the throne, two sons died in the Reconquista). Although given how awesome Toledo is (it already has two baronies built up with Muslim tech, with the potential to build another), I might move my capital southwards to the province of Toledo. Now, if only I could clean up the former Kingdom of Castille-now-Galicia (they had much better marriage alliances than I did, and have territory in Galicia, old Castille, Navarre, and 3 provinces in Portugal), I would have all of Iberia except the French holdings in Barcelona and Valencia (where my spies and diplomats are at work, trying to destabilize the French there).

Yeah, the German capital seems to be in Palermo now. I think the AI is picking these provinces based on recent conquests, they just whacked an Emir in Sicily and the capital moved.

It took 3 assassinations, but I finally got the Kingdom of Galicia under the heel of my immediate family. Only two powers in Iberia is my Kingdom of Leon and the vile French. My plan to encourage a revolt in the Grand Duchy of Aquitaine has failed--apparently, the duchies got broken up between three successors, or the King started revoking titles.

It's going to take a long time to sort out the mess in the annexed duchies and counties, though. People have scattered titles all over the realm. The only contiguous duchies are the ones I've made out of conquered Muslim territories.

Playing as the Kingdom of Denmark. After I conquered and claimed the crown of Sweden, I spent the next 10 years battering Swedish Dukes, keeping them under control and under my thumb.
It was really fun revoking Dukedoms and Counties from Swedes and giving them to Danes.
Nothing says wiping out the elite of country by having 5 Swedish dukes/counts in jail.

But my replacement dukes were quite rebellious too, though not to the same extent, and my heir was only nominated to become the next King of Sweden because of political infighting between the Swedish dukes.

I had a round two, smash-the-Dukes-of-Sweden-for-ten-years when I went from Agnatic-Elective to Agnatic-cognactic.

All I can say, is that it is worth it not having to worry about succession.

Now I just need to find a way to grab Norway from the Holy Roman Empire.

I had a round two, smash-the-Dukes-of-Sweden-for-ten-years when I went from Agnatic-Elective to Agnatic-cognactic.

I may or not may not now regret this, having just assassinated both my heir and Eldest son and my grandson, so that second son, who has high stewardship, becomes the next King.

Nothing says wiping out the elite of country by having 5 Swedish dukes/counts in jail.

But my replacement dukes were quite rebellious too, though not to the same extent, and my heir was only nominated to become the next King of Sweden because of political infighting between the Swedish dukes.

I have made a habit of ransoming out all nobles following a war, although I may stop doing that if I am fighting the French beast in my game. The money you get is incredible, it allows you to upgrade so many fortresses.

I realized I lost a lot of prestige establishing claims and taking kingship titles in my Leon game later on instead of doing it at the beginning--since all the major kings are children of Fernando the Great, they are all each other's heir if something goes wrong (as if the titles were divided up by Gavelkind). On the plus side, the Spanish kingdoms start with Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture, which is pretty solid.

What does that even mean? "Main province"?

Unlike previous Paradox games, each province (a region on the map) can have between 2 and 7 castles, towns, or bishoprics in the province. The first one is always a castle, and is the primary residence for anyone who controls the province as a count. Then there can be multiple other settlements under mayors or bishops, or even other castles under barons. Each settlement counts against your demesne limit if you directly control it.

The main province, I assume, is the province associated with the title that is at the very top of your list. So if you are listed as the King of France and Aragon, your primary residence is wherever the capital of France is.

I may or not may not now regret this, having just assassinated both my heir and Eldest son and my grandson, so that second son, who has high stewardship, becomes the next King.

My very ambitious kids took care of the assassinations themselves. I've gone from father to grandson to daughter, now might jump to grandson again if my final heir doesn't survive.

On the plus side, the Spanish kingdoms start with Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture, which is pretty solid.
What succession law do the Byzantines start with?
Antilogic said:
Unlike previous Paradox games, each province (a region on the map) can have between 2 and 7 castles, towns, or bishoprics in the province. The first one is always a castle, and is the primary residence for anyone who controls the province as a count. Then there can be multiple other settlements under mayors or bishops, or even other castles under barons. Each settlement counts against your demesne limit if you directly control it.

The main province, I assume, is the province associated with the title that is at the very top of your list. So if you are listed as the King of France and Aragon, your primary residence is wherever the capital of France is.
And how is the "capital of France" determined?

I have made a habit of ransoming out all nobles following a war, although I may stop doing that if I am fighting the French beast in my game. The money you get is incredible, it allows you to upgrade so many fortresses.

I'm quite far into my game already and I'm easily making 18 gold per month, and with some careful saving, I don't see the need for the ransomed money. I let them rot in jail if they are just going to revolt again and I see no pleasure in constantly whacking them.
One of them is spending his 18th year in prison.

My very ambitious kids took care of the assassinations themselves. I've gone from father to grandson to daughter, now might jump to grandson again if my final heir doesn't survive.
You need a better spymaster. Your succession crisis is going to be murder!

Top Bottom