War Thunder - free to play air combat

The lighting could be fixed but I like the hangar its.......well homely.

I've stopped playing altogether now. Its almost depressing to load it up and then find the same nonsense(people farming credits, same broken FM for some planes, etc) is still going on and still no patch.

Changelog:
http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/40329-war-thunder-update-131/

1.31 patch is out, although the complete economy changes are delayed by a week or two while they tweak them. Still, there are quite a few changes and I think plane prices ere reduced too.

The first nation you play as will give you a premium starter plane from a historical Ace pilot of that nation. So choose wisely (aka, pretty much just the Russian Chaika unless you really like the British Gladiator. The other's aren't really worth it).

Yeah but they're also having a Russia Day special and Russian premiums are discounted. I kind of want to snag the 20mm Chaika and then I'll have three Chaikas...

Patch really didn't do much to improve the fun me. I lose more planes due to death of pilot then I do to every other way(fire, lose of controls, just plain shot down, etc) combined

I can't say its really been an issue for me. There have definitely been more pilot kills, but most of the ones I could see made sense since it was either direct hits to the cockpit no one would survive, or they were completely on fire, and quite often they were lower level pilots and planes who probably have little or no vitality points. I am still getting lots of kills from breaking their aircraft up too.

Although I haven't played as much as I would have liked to today.

Yea I can't play this game anymore. Gajin just doesn't seem to be improving it, adding more and more things and events doesn't fix the problems. Usually adds more problems

Adding what more things? Events are for fun and unrelated to the actual development.

I usually don't have any problem playing the game, and the majority of my deaths are more either my fault or because the other guy had a better position/shot on me rather than a broken or unbalanced plane.

Although I only play HB mode, Arcade is a little messed up with the time limits and ticket loss that is going on.

HB is fun, but I can't fly Germans anymore. Corsairs over Europe is silly enough, Corsairs that outclimb everything is absurd.

Yeah they really need to fix the corsair's climb rate, although that will probably be in the next patch. Thankfully mostly I've ended up against the British as the Germans, or Russians.

I don't play HB or FRB because of some of the borked flight models(currently its Corsairs, before it was some german planes and before that the beaufighter and before that russian planes) and arcade has that annoying disappearing ground units which makes bombing pointless and there are too many 37mm armed planes all over the place.

Oh yes they seriously need to get rid of the mechanic that disappears ground targets later in the game, its not really necessary and so what if the round takes longer? Also 37mm still need proper trajectories, thankfully most 37mm planes aren't very good and the players who fly them are usually even worse (and quite often just plain stupid).

I don't recall the German planes having any broken FMs that game them any significant advantage (the Dora was "missing" 600kgs of weight, but really the problems with them were American FMs were broken and American pilots sucked. The beaufighter's climb rate was nerfed a very long time ago. The corsair's climb rate is way too good yes but there are plenty of HB battles without them and even with them most pilots just aren't very good. You can always just land your plane and leave with no penalty if the enemy team is all just corsairs anyway.

Corsair is the new flavor of the month, or at least they were last time I booted up WT.

I just can't deal with any of them, because if they're above me (they always are) there's not one single thing I can possibly do except die.

Outrun. Outdive. Outgun (for the c). Outturn. It's suicide to fly against Corsairs.

Yeah if there are too many corsairs I just find a new match. Sadly Gaijin doesn't seem keen on mini patches to fix stuff like that so we'll probably have to wait until a bigger update :/

If there are just a couple of corsairs though, its rarely a problem, plus I take much longer routes when climbing so by the time I get there the enemy isn't higher than me and (hopefully) is even diving down and engaged with my teammates who rushed straight in.

Sometimes its better to fly with them though, some of Spits are awesome and the Hurricane Mk1 is great for low level rounds.

thankfully most 37mm planes aren't very good and the players who fly them are usually even worse (and quite often just plain stupid).

You don't have to be good to get a kill with a 37mm. Just point and shoot and then you win. Its the fact that they are everywhere that is the problem, need to raise the repair costs and rearm cost(and rearm time in arcade)

I don't recall the German planes having any broken FMs that game them any significant advantage

Correct, but any advantage no matter how little is easily componded by the number of them.

It is way too easy to get a kill with a 37mm cannon in Arcade (and in HB a bit too, since the shell does not drop off steeply enough at all), which makes just how laughably bad most players are with them even more pathetic and funnier. I just played a (all too short) round of arcade and killed three kingcobras (which are the only 37mm planes that didn't suck historically) and one of them was even on my tail for a good half am minute, he missed every. single. shot. I was flying my Ki-45, rank 4 plane, that was wounded and couldn't even turn very well. My AI tailgunner ended up shooting him down.

Correct, but any advantage no matter how little is easily componded by the number of them.
Seeing how teams have the same number of players on them (maybe with 1 more on one team sometimes), I'm not sure what your complaint is. Besides a bit of Dora spam (which isn't as bad as it used to be, and while the Dora is a really good plane it is far from unbeatable), the main problem is poor teammates and higher rank American planes still needing tweaking (but they are better than they were a few months ago).

I just picked up the LaGG-3-66 – wow, that's an awesome plane. It handles very well, feels like a more powerful Folgore. The cannon really works on those pesky Messerschmitts, got 3 kills my first match, just disintegrates them with the default shell rack :)

I'm also becoming quite good with my IL-2, raking in 20-35k every round on Korea, often with 2-3 air kills. I think I've downed a Corsair, Japanese FW190, and a KingCobra with it.

Chaika abuse spam is becoming popular, with 75 in the queue across all HB servers yesterday... picked up a 6-kill match in my Buffalo BnZ'ing them :)

Maniacal, what's your game name? We should fly together sometime.

The funny part is, the LaGG is actually pretty mediocre. It doesn't do anything very well, and you wouldn't think it would do very well (more so in Arcade), and yet, myself and a number of other people have noted it can be very effective! Quite a surprise for that one.

In-game name is Maniacal

War Thunder is now available on Steam!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/236390/

Also has a few, entirely optional, packs you can buy. Plus, if you already have it installed, you can just copy your War Thunder folder into your Steamapps/common folder and then you only have to download less than a gig.

The Ace pack is a tremendous deal if you want golden eagles. 10k eagles for basivally half price, plus two planes, two months of premium, and i think something else

Top Bottom