Banished - town building colonization survival game

From what I can see its like a mix of Anno, Stronghold and Settlers 1! Until we get to play it its hard to know which one its more like. The main difference it has to those 3 games is there is no combat.

The 18th is a long way away!

From what I can see its like a mix of Anno, Stronghold and Settlers 1! Until we get to play it its hard to know which one its more like. The main difference it has to those 3 games is there is no combat.

The 18th is a long way away!

no combat mean its more anno then stronghold
and without dwarf fortress like aspects this game is a pass.

I prefer timber and stone.

Anno had "combat" but it's one of the least fun aspects of the game. Actually antagonism in straight-up builder games always is the lowpoint for me. Like in Caesar/Zeus style games, hated war. Even antagonizing disasters in SimCity were annoying to me. So no combat in Banished, for me, is an awesome selling point. If I want combat there are so many other games I can play anyway.

Anno had "combat" but it's one of the least fun aspects of the game. Actually antagonism in straight-up builder games always is the lowpoint for me. Like in Caesar/Zeus style games, hated war. Even antagonizing disasters in SimCity were annoying to me. So no combat in Banished, for me, is an awesome selling point. If I want combat there are so many other games I can play anyway.

Same for me. I always hated having all my hard work to build up my city destroyed by something coming along and wrecking everything.

The developer has said that combat may be added at some time in the future, but that it will remain optional, which is good.

I enjoyed the combat balance in CaesarIII. There was just enough so that you had to maintain a credible defense, but not so much that it dominated the builder / economic management of the game. Unless, of course, you chose one of those missions...

Right I see!

Personally I'm really looking forward to there being no combat. The dev has said that he might look into adding combat at a later date but as a option only. I think.

Edit. Ninja'd by superbeaverinc on the combat front. Well not ninja'd exactly ...

A new Let's Play series by Quill18 that already has 4 videos out. And he also provides a great demonstration of how things can go wrong very quickly.

Link to video.

Gimme gimme gimme gimme!

It is now February 4 where I live, which means only two more weeks!

Quill's first game is pretty rough, but later on he starts over, gets into the game mechanics, and showcases how to set up a good resource gathering operation. It's a must-watch for getting stoked about the game.

I'm forcing myself not to overdose on these Lets Plays, just because I want to try and discover some stuff for myself when it comes out.

Its really really tough!

I needed to get some extra work done this weekend and I killed myself watching LPs for about 6 hours.

No, really, I did a shift of LP watching.

I did the same for all of quill's LPs, which is why I'm going to try and stop watching them now.

Only one more week!

I've been trying to not watch to many lets plays (only partly successfully) so its still really fresh for me.

Luckily I'm off on holiday tomorrow so the weeks wait will fly by!

Coming out tomorrow, I think it unlocks around 2 PM EST on Steam (based on a rough calc., give or take an hour).

Gotta say, though, reading half the suggestions on the Banished forum make me depressed as all hell. Seems like all these little kids think realism involves killing people and can't stop talking about a military system in every other thread. And yet there are still so many non-combat ideas it's not even funny. Off the top of my head, he could include food spoilage and preservation through salt or ice, household goods to improve happiness like furniture, silverware, or glass, some kind of dependence of your people on freshwater resources and ways to get clean water (wells, watersheds on freshwater sources, a thermal desalination rig on salt water sources to get salt and freshwater). You could build a variety of specific tools to aid the collection of particular goods (i.e. regular tools catch fish at one rate, but nets increase that rate by 50% or something). What about mills or some more advanced food processing in town to make bread?

Seriously, you don't have to kill people in every game you play.

I was hoping to install Windows on my iMac over the weekend so I could install the game immediately, but my daughter chose not to nap. At all. :cry:

I start 12-hour work calls on Wednesday that will last roughly a week. Looks like I won't get to this for at least 2 weeks :sad:

We promise to not post a ton of screenshots of our towns in this thread to make you jealous, PG.

Spoiler :
All right everybody, let's post them in other threads so he sees them constantly when they get reported as derails!

Top Bottom