Game of the Year

I'd like to up a vote for Loom! Must be one of the greatest fantasy settings I've stumbled upon.

I'll start counting votes once nominations are closed. This Friday I will close it so it runs a schedule of a week for nominations and then a week of votes. Hoping to stir some good debates in between. Good mega man 3 analysis so far.

I wouldn't really propose them as "game of the year 1990" but both Italia 90 (soccer game) and Tv Sports: Basketball, seem to have been quite mainstream at the time. The latter even had local Greek mods for the teams :D

The game's music-magic-system really laid a great to its dark empty landscapes.

Well this doesn't seem to be sparking much debate, maybe we jump to a more recent year? Anyway here's the final nominees for 1990:

Super Mario World
Mega Man 3
Loom
Ultima VI
Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
Secret of Monkey Island

Get your vote in. I'm voting super mario.

Hard to decide between Eye of the Beholder and Wing Commander for me.
These two games were defining moments in my gaming life.

Amuzingly (and I never noticed they went out the same year), they are the two games that gave me my basic english skill. I probably wouldn't be able to read it today without them.

It has to be Loom for me too.

Nice thread. I vote Secret of Monkey Island.

Secret of Monkey Island or Super Mario? Why are you making me choose between these great games?! :O

-flip coin... only for it to land sideways-

:(

I will split my vote between the two.

Edit: warning in advance: 1995, the year of Command and Conquer, Warcraft II, Chrono Trigger, as well as games I have not played but will one day like Earthbound (I need to get onto VC soon on the WiiU!) and I Have No Mouth But Must Scream, will be a hard year to choose from!

Hard to decide between Eye of the Beholder and Wing Commander for me.
These two games were defining moments in my gaming life.

Amuzingly (and I never noticed they went out the same year), they are the two games that gave me my basic english skill. I probably wouldn't be able to read it today without them.

I recall reading articles on Greek computer magazines in the early 90s about Eye of the Beholder. Seemed to be revolutionary for its time as a first-person point-of-view rpg. Never played it though.

Secret of Monkey Island or Super Mario? Why are you making me choose between these great games?! :O

Edit: warning in advance: 1995, the year of Command and Conquer, Warcraft II, Chrono Trigger, as well as games I have not played but will one day like Earthbound (I need to get onto VC soon on the WiiU!) and I Have No Mouth But Must Scream, will be a hard year to choose from!

Can you have like a fake debate with yourself on the good features and flaws of each game? Was hoping this thread would get some more in depth analysis of games beyond just this one was sweet.

I already gave my thoughts on why I think super mario is it for me. Unfortunately I haven't played the others. In short I love super mario because of where it pushes the series with adding more special moves, a vast overworld (already in 3, but really advanced here) and introduction of yoshi- pretty groundbreaking in the video game world.

'95 will be tough. '98 will be outright impossible. I won't make premature nominations but... good god. Half the reason I won't make the nominations is so I won't be here all day typing out names.

The 90s had loads of cool games :yup: Although i will still nominate Another World for 1991, that is the same year the original Lemmings came out, and that was an important title too (Psygnosis used to be a cool company) :/

1993 will be the hardest year for me (DOOM, Master of Orion, Ultima Underworld II, and Frontier: Elite II).

Anyway, my 1991 choice is Zelda: A Link to the Past. I particularly love its graphics, which were (and are) so lovely and polished. Furthermore, the light/dark world thing is neat, its soundtrack is excellent, and the puzzles are tricky :D

Top Bottom