I'm bored, I'm bored, I'm bored, I'm bored...

If its not too late before you take a break from the forums/Civ, I have some new options. 1) Try Age of Empires III. It is a real time strategy game. It has very nice "skirmish" mode where you take over some of the colonial age superpowers and storm the enemy towns away from the new world with muskets and falconets. Works for me. When you have played this game many times you can think if you are interested in Civ again. If you are now bored to both, try next option. 2) Try League of Legends. It is a MOBA which means something between real time strategy and RPG. Its free to play and you can download it from their website. Easy to start and the idea is simple, you must destroy enemy "nexus" in 5 on 5 battle in the fields of justice. However its ultimate strategic: what if I move 5 footsteps? Will there be enemy's Teemo waiting in that bush? Try it! 3) Try something different like Minecraft or the classic Tomb Raiders. 4) Try a pause from games, for example take up playing guitar, TaekWonDo, scale model building, skiing or skating. Those were some of my favourite hobbies. I do them when I feel like it. Try some of them if you're bored with other hobby. Hope it helps :)!

I'd love to love Civ again for the sake of time I've spent playing it and, even more, thinking about it.

Then I realized that you can't put it in a CV and started learning stuff you can use to make a living :(.

This game is evil. More so when people take it far too seriously.

The most annoying and amazing thing about civ is that you can't stop playing it even when it is totally not fun.

Now, I only play Dirt2/3. It is always fun but I can still control myself and switch to anything I should be doing instead. Unlike civ which devours you.

Bad, bad game.

Keep busy with real life. I only play CIV when I am in the mood for a game, which is why I prefer marathon games. Since they go on for a long time, I can come and go without feeling an urge to finish it. I probably average a half dozen to a dozen games per year. My time is otherwise full with building furniture, carpentry, reading, volunteer work, more reading, other messing with computers (such as programming and checking out interesting details of the OS), outdoor fun, etc. Since I'm retired, I fortunately do not have to find time for a job in all this!

The Total War series if you love strategy games. Has gotta be my fave other than Civ, it's all those battlefield tactics plus the roleplaying aspects of your dynasty, spys and generals. I keep playing the original Rome Total War with the barbarian invasion expansion coz I just love leading a horde of Goths/Huns/Vandals/Saxons and laying waste to the Roman Empire :aargh: :aargh: :aargh:

Recently I got a major addiction for Kerbal Space Program, the demo is free to download and got a lot of the features of the paid version plus it's not rocket science... oh hang on... actually it is rocket science :mischief: Definitely look up a few youtube tutorials if you do try this one ;)

Warlords III is in serious competition for the title "Best TBS ever made", along with HOMM III and the civ series. It's really one of the unsung titles IMO.

I have actually enjoyed HOMM V quite a bit also.

If going for shooters, Gears of War 3 is the best console-based shooter out there IMO. Lots of skill in the shooting, but teamwork and map control are huge also. It has less different weapons than a game like halo, but each of them is very nuanced.

get any CoD .in five minutes you will jump back to civ ;)

Try a different strategy:
-Master of Orion 2 (it's an oldie but still played)
-Master of Magic (like above)
-Alpha Centauri (likewise - it's kind of like Civ too but with unique concepts unseen in Civ games)
Try an RPG:
-Planescape Torment (cRPG with a cool dark "ambient" story btw. my av is from this game :D )
-Baldurs Gate
-Icewind Dale
-Neverwinter Nights
-Fallout
(all above are high rated, top notch, five stars - clasics to sink at least a 1001 hours :D , no kiding)
Try something different than computer games as others suggested. All in all we will miss You very much so please return to us at some point ;)

-Alpha Centauri (likewise - it's kind of like Civ too but with unique concepts unseen in Civ games)

In the same vein you might also wanna try the Planetfall mod for Civ4. And Fall From Heaven 2 in case you never tried it.

Perhaps it wouldn't be up your alley at all, but I really enjoyed playing the old classic RPGs: Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale and not least Planescape Torment. Icewind Dale 2 less so, due to the new rules in place. Hell, I even had a lot of fun with Theme Hospital :D

interesting you named baldur's love the game, and since you didn't point it out it's actually tactical and extremely challenging. You should look it OP

interesting you named baldur's love the game, and since you didn't point it out it's actually tactical and extremely challenging. You should look it OP

It sure is. Some of those tough combats took a loooooong time to complete, like a certain fight in the "Keep" in BG2. Incredibly challenging and one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in gaming once I beat those bastards. Overall a great, great game.

Nice avatar AdamCrock. Didn't realise it was from Planescape (a tattoo, right?), one of my favourite games of all time. Wish I could blank my mind and play it "blind" again, such a great story.

Nice avatar AdamCrock. Didn't realise it was from Planescape (a tattoo, right?), one of my favourite games of all time. Wish I could blank my mind and play it "blind" again, such a great story.

One of my all-time favourites too ^^ In fact I have never seen a dialogue like this :
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
in any other game ! :D
You can play this game just for it's dialogues in fact :)

About that av - yeah - the rune of torment itself ;) it invokes 9th level spell "rune of torment" ;) eh.... I wish I could forget my incarnation memories and play this "blind" again too :)

Warlords III is in serious competition for the title "Best TBS ever made", along with HOMM III and the civ series. It's really one of the unsung titles IMO.

Agree on Warlords, not sure which part i played most thou hard to remember..
Homm3 i played most, i must say that this game was only really fun in multiplayer thou (or some rare, really good player created maps).
AIs in H3 been so terrible, and there was no benefit in playing your best just so they have even less chances.

So far I'm having fun with Silent Storm. Thanks lymond!

I finally went to GOG and discovered Star Control 3. I didn't know they made a third. Star Control 2 was fabulous. I think I'll have to pick that one up too. :)

Has anyone played it?

So far I'm having fun with Silent Storm. Thanks lymond!

Glad to hear, Lemon! :) I recommend it every now and then but no one ever takes my advice as far as I know. Just wait until you get to Sentinels. Very fun and challenging. Snipers and Scouts rock.

I know you got plans already, but AD 1602 is a nice little CIV like game set in 1602. You basically settle an island and set up trade, defense, explore and stuff very similar to CIV, just not as intense.

I also recommend Diablo (the original) or Diablo II if you want an RPG.

or make war - You choose :D I doubt that Lemon want babies as she suggested many times ;)

Not wanting babies doesn't mean that practicing up on the process isn't a fun way to pass the time.

I went through the same thing--I've been in Civ4 so long I feel like there isn't much left to do (or that I want to do--beating the score on my only time victory isn't high on my bucket list).

For me, the Paradox Interactive and AGEOD games were a breath of fresh air, as were going back and playing older games. Especially SimCity, I forgot how addicting that could be.

Top Bottom