Top 5 rpg

But regardless, this was fairly condescending, no? And pretty "PC master race"-ey, so I was being serious the second time I said it.
And it was in answer to your first post, which was agressive and unprovoked. That you started to justify the following exchange with weird time-travel loops and now attempt to excuse as "just joking" says it all.

Anyway, I won't waste more time on this ridiculous point, which has already received far more than it deserves - especially as it takes SO MUCH SPACE ON MY HUGE 55 & 42 INCHES DUAL-SCREEN.

(and yeah, this last one was deliberately and smugly childish. I call it fair)

your font size abuse my laptop small screen Akka, it is hard for mighty pc user with poor laptop user to live side by side in the internet. We should start to build internet ghetto as soon as possible.

And it was in answer to your first post, which was agressive and unprovoked. That you started to justify the following exchange with weird time-travel loops and now attempt to excuse as "just joking" says it all.

Anyway, I won't waste more time on this ridiculous point, which has already received far more than it deserves - especially as it takes SO MUCH SPACE ON MY HUGE 55 & 42 INCHES DUAL-SCREEN.

(and yeah, this last one was deliberately and smugly childish. I call it fair)

Let's look at this "aggressive and unprovoked" post.

I game on a laptop, works fine for me. Don't let the build-a-pc master race make you feel bad.

So aggressive. :lol: Couldn't possibly be a tongue-in-cheek (has anyone ever said "PC master race" in a completely serious tone? it's a jokey term, I mean look at the damn picture and tell me it's being serious) comment after someone said they felt bad for gaming on a laptop. I already said that I know desktop gaming is better, dude. Don't know why you're so determined to tell me what I already admitted, other than simply rubbing salt in the wound that I'm not able to game on two huge screens and build a desktop in my current situation.

You've been pretty aggressive the whole thread. Aren't you the one who said I was a moron for enjoying Mass Effect 3? And you arguably started this whole mess anyways, when you bashed laptops and towed the PC master race party line ("laptops suck, build your own rig").

Well, I can't even imagine playing a game on a laptop (small screen, clunky controls, underpowered computer... how is it even possible to enjoy anything like that ? :cringe:), so my suggestion would be that, if you have the money and the desire, to buy a decent rig and set it up comfortably :p

So excuse me.

Getting back on topic...

Gog's running a bunch of sales, might grab some rpgs there. Witcher is $2 right now. Not sure how it would run on a laptop.

Like I said, glorious master race...

It's good you recognize that we are the master race. ;)

I like dragon age 2 myself, I think it suffered a ton of bad reviews because people wanted origins 2 and it definitely wasn't. The combat isn't better or worse, just different. The combat animations in origins were terrible, dwarves swinging 2h weapons looked stupid, but it was far more tactical and slower. In 2 it's a bit over animated, like a super action packed sequence, but being a mage is really, really cool because you are able to cast a lot more spells. The talent trees were reworked as well and compliment each other. While in origins you could chain some spells together for effects in 2 you can freeze a guy then have your melee character shatter him. There's a lot more combos across classes you can do. Overall I like the classes in 2 better.

I also like the full voice acting of 2 over origins. Clicking text just never appealed to me as much. There are some cool characters in 2 as well. The plot choices are pretty good too, there's a few parts you can take the story in very different directions.

However it's severely lacking in many areas. Itemization is bad, though it was pretty awful in origins as well. There is literally zero dungeon and zone design- every zone is a knockoff of like a total of 3 designs. There's nothing to explore, world is tiny. You can only play one race and one character basically, you just pick your class and gender.

Overall it's not as deep as origins but still a very worthwhile game.

I actually will admit I played it all the way through twice, and may play a 3rd time some day. In fact, I'm wondering if there are any mods that make the game a little better (like Origins). But I still think it shouldn't have been a Dragon Age game. Why turn Dragon Age into an action type rpg like Mass Effect (I know I'm stretching the comparison here, but so be it)? By itself, the game isn't that bad. But I just wish Bioware would just give us an old school type rpg like DA:O was. And not change things to make it action-y. They should have 2 separate fantasy franchises if they want that. Just don't touch DA:O style. One franchise for the hardcore fans, and the other franchise for more casual gamers. That way we both get what we want. Don't dumb down one franchise just for the sake of greed.

I will agree with you mage is more fun in DA2. But part of that is because there is less pressure on a mage to be a healer. I admit the difficulty in DA:O was such that your mage had to be a full time healer, and you couldn't cast many of your cool spells lest you run out of mana (or run with 2 mages which I often did). Other than that, I didn't care for the rogue and warrior talent trees all that much. It was a step down from DA:O. Rogues not being able to properly stealth is what really pissed me off. It takes away a big playstyle for a lot of people.

The combat is worse imho because it completely throws the laws of physics out the window. Yes I know it's a fantasy game, but too many things in DA2 were immersion breaking. A skinny elf swinging a heavy 2 handed sword like a whiffle ball bat was ridiculous. It's a horrible design decision by Bioware. People will be happy with slow swinging weapons as long as they hit hard and do massive damage. Look at Skyrim, a very popular game, and 2 handers in that game are slow. I'm running an orc using a 2 handed mace (the slowest), and I still find the action great. Because when you do hit, it hits hard, and it's very satisfying when it does.

I don't mind full voice acting if they'd just have more options. But they get cheap, and don't want to pay the voice actor to read that many lines. I like dialogue, and feel exposition is important to a story. Plus I like the dialogue to balance out the action in the game. As it was, DA2 was nearly all action. Pointless street battle after pointless street battle.

I exclusively play on PC, so I'm also part of the master race. I AM GLORIOUS. Just not as glorious as those with custom-built PCs.

custom built isn't all that. If I was rich, I'd buy the ultimate gaming rig. I just do what it takes to save money on my gaming habit. :)

If I was rich, I'd buy that deep blue computer or whatever it was called, and maybe I could play a huge map on Civ5 on it. :D. Just kidding. That computer was in the 90's, my computer today probably could outdo that Deep Blue rig of the 90's. :lol:

Home built is just a cheaper way to get a good pc. Mine's not fancy, but probably costs me $400/35% less than buying a comperable alienware at the time.

Yeah mages was one of the major flaws in origin's combat, not mages themselves, but the game really revolved around an mmorpg style of combat with tanks and healers. There were also only two npc mages available to you which forces you to either roll a mage yourself and make him heal base, take wynn since she already has invested in creation magic or convert morrigan, not the most effective but if you want her around. Probably 80% of my parties had wynn in them just cus she's the best option. Gets kind of dull and doesn't leave a lot of room to involve not as effective characters like oghren and sten and the elf rogue guy who's name escapes me. And the mana design, any fight longer than a few casts required a ton of potions. Didn't have any of those issues in 2.

I'm playing through Origins now, and after 45 hours the combat, while fun for awhile, has becomes tedious - especially since they try to shoehorn combat situations into everything.

Yeah mages was one of the major flaws in origin's combat, not mages themselves
Well, their ridiculous overpoweredness was quite the biggest flaw of the combat system in the game, so yes I'd say "mages themselves" were the major flaw in DAO gameplay ^^
Agree about how the utility of mage combined with the lack of mage characters was a serious balance problem, though.

Gotta hand it to DA2, the new talent trees were rather well-done. But they added much more flaws which were much more horrible than the ones they fixed, so it didn't matter a lot in the end :-/

Well maybe it was mages themselves being op, but they seemed more required for healing than for dmg. My cunning bard rogues always dealt far more dmg.

Well yeah, in single-target DPS, rogues were rather insane. But as you pointed, it's a mostly because mages were simply required in healing, which left them much less opportunities to really be built and used as glass cannons.
And even as healers and as such sub-optimized in damage, mages were still supreme when it came to AoE and versatility.

The ridiculous power of mages is obvious when you try to play with only one (or none) in the party, and then switch to three. It's... shocking to say the least (especially as you can then really specialize them). Often, you don't even need a tank and can just crush any opposition before they can even do anything.

Heh, I was tempted to wade into the DA2 argument in detail, but I've done it enough in the past. Suffice to say, IMO, they''re both good, but not great games. Neither is even close to BG2. ;)

Well, their ridiculous overpoweredness was quite the biggest flaw of the combat system in the game, so yes I'd say "mages themselves" were the major flaw in DAO gameplay ^^
Agree about how the utility of mage combined with the lack of mage characters was a serious balance problem, though.

Gotta hand it to DA2, the new talent trees were rather well-done. But they added much more flaws which were much more horrible than the ones they fixed, so it didn't matter a lot in the end :-/

I don't recall them being overpowered (and I just finished Awakening yesterday). Remember there is friendly fire in that game unlike 2. The character I used yesterday was a 2 handed warrior with over 100 strength at the end of Awakening, and he was overpowered. I owned everything on Nightmare difficulty. Only battle that gave me trouble was the final battle.

I just tried starting a Dragon Age 2 game yesterday. The game is worse than I remembered it. My warrior can't even duel wield or use bows? WTF! Diablo is more a rpg than this game. I had forgotten they took out the duel wield and archery trees. Sorry, but Origins combat is not tedious. DA2 combat is tedious. Those first few battles against the darkspawn were yawnfests.

The ridiculous power of mages is obvious when you try to play with only one (or none) in the party, and then switch to three. It's... shocking to say the least (especially as you can then really specialize them). Often, you don't even need a tank and can just crush any opposition before they can even do anything.

good idea, never thought about running 3 mages. ** Must resist temptation to start a new Dragon Age:Origins game and run with 3 mages**

edit: too late, started a new game as a mage. :)

Play a mage in DA2. Warrior is all auto attacking because your stamina runs out too quickly.

I exclusively play on PC, so I'm also part of the master race. I AM GLORIOUS. Just not as glorious as those with custom-built PCs.

I also an ex master race, with 5+1 sound system, when I sold my pc and change it to laptop I becoming sort of gentile :(

If I have so much money, I will buy something equivalent like your laptop. Working properly is good enough for me.

What about building a laptop, or at least a fairly portable PC, using desktop parts? Something like this:

What about building a laptop, or at least a fairly portable PC, using desktop parts? Something like this:

:eek: that is a smart idea! and it seem very easy to carry! I don't know it just a joke or it really working properly, I wonder where (s)he put the keyboard. Nice post! :goodjob:

Top Bottom