Tropico 5

:goodjob: genius, I already told my little brother in law to do this, and I will do exactly that also after I buy my new Laptop in the future I will be able to play lots of game that I haven't play yet. Bioshock, dishonour, ME 3 and lots other.

What's the dismal Kalypso Launcher, and does Tropico 4 have it? I was debating picking it up for $4 over at Gamersgate this weekend, but considering that I haven't really played 3 that much yet, I didn't buy it last night. And this launcher probably is the "Other DRM" that Gamersgate mentions. I'm also wondering if there's really any reason to get 4 when I already have 1, 2, and 3, even if it is cheap. And similarly, I'm wondering if the Modern Times expansion is worth the $2. My suspicion is that if Tropico 4 is worth it over 3, the Modern Times expansion probably makes sense.

I'm skipping 5 at launch since I haven't decided if I'll ever switch to Windows 7, but I still like what I've seen of it. Can't really justify spending $26+ on a game that I can't currently run when I still have several of its predecessors that I haven't played much, though.

Tropico 4 does indeed have it, and god forbid you want to change the email attached to the account. I still need to, but I have to contact customer support apparently.

They're lucky I like Tropico 4, or else I would've blasted them over the DRM.

What game is that comic referencing with cake is a lie? One I haven't played I guess.

What game is that comic referencing with cake is a lie? One I haven't played I guess.
Portal (which is based on the HL2 source engine)
GLADOS, the AI, mentions several times throughout the first part that "there will be cake".

I never played portal. Never played half life either for that matter lol. I got the joke that it was referencing some older game though! And still thought it was funny!

I don't wait quite that long to play stuff, just til it's under 10 bucks. Varies from game to game, kingdoms of alamur took several years to price drop that low, mass effect 3 took 1 year, while some titles take only a few months, like I want to say max payne 3 and sleeping dogs broke 9.99 within 4 months of release.

So tropico5 is out now. I quickly read from their from that... their game is crappy! Suprise! No saving in MP, directX problems for everybody and game is built like it requires 20 DLC to reach its maxium potential.

I think I pass this for couple of years.

No saving in multiplayer? Like, at all? So if you want to play a 50 year game, you have to do it all at once?

To be fair, that's still better than Tropico 1 not having multiplayer if you wish to play multiplayer, but that's a pretty basic function in a multiplayer game that could potentially last a long time.

The DLC part doesn't surprise me, given Tropico 4's massive amount of DLC. Although I'm still hopeful that the whole progression-over-time works out well. That sounded like the real new feature in the series in this iteration, and a fairly promising one at that.

No saving in multiplayer? Like, at all? So if you want to play a 50 year game, you have to do it all at once?

To be fair, that's still better than Tropico 1 not having multiplayer if you wish to play multiplayer, but that's a pretty basic function in a multiplayer game that could potentially last a long time.

The DLC part doesn't surprise me, given Tropico 4's massive amount of DLC. Although I'm still hopeful that the whole progression-over-time works out well. That sounded like the real new feature in the series in this iteration, and a fairly promising one at that.

Today there are close to zero companies that launches fully playable games. It is rather sad that to really have full playable game you need to wait atlest one year to see if there are new DLC or expansions and critical features are fixed.

So another game crippled by bugs and half complete, with them expecting us to pay even more for DLCs to complete the experience? Oh well. Had my eye on this, not now.

"Crippled by bugs"

"Half complete"

Have you actually played the game? Just kidding, I know you haven't.

I just sunk fifteen solid hours into the game and haven't ran into any noticeable bugs in SP. I haven't played MP since none of my friends have it yet anyway.

directX problems for everybody

Maybe for people who should consider finally upgrading their old rigs.

Although I'm still hopeful that the whole progression-over-time works out well. That sounded like the real new feature in the series in this iteration, and a fairly promising one at that.

It works surprisingly well. Gives the Swiss something to do besides count their money for score. The fact that the same two islands you use in the campaign persist across several missions (if not the entire campaign) makes it better.

I really wonder what motivates people to defend poorly executed games that clearly needs expansions or DLC to fully reach their potential.

Because Tropico 3 and 4 didn't have expansion packs, Civilizations III-V didn't have expansion packs, Galactic Civilization didn't have expansion packs, SimCity4 didn't have an x-pack or so.

If you don't like the economic model of gaming these days, that's a personal problem. When you say the game is poorly executed, yet have no hours in the game whatsoever, I guess I'll just have to take my own experience playing the game over what you read on the forum.

I really wonder what motivates people to attack games they haven't played yet, especially when they're talking to somebody who has actually played the game.

Edit: The Immigration constitution policy might be bugged, or just not balanced well enough.

"Crippled by bugs"

"Half complete"

Have you actually played the game? Just kidding, I know you haven't.

I just sunk fifteen solid hours into the game and haven't ran into any noticeable bugs in SP. I haven't played MP since none of my friends have it yet anyway.

Maybe for people who should consider finally upgrading their old rigs.

It works surprisingly well. Gives the Swiss something to do besides count their money for score. The fact that the same two islands you use in the campaign persist across several missions (if not the entire campaign) makes it better.

Because Tropico 3 and 4 didn't have expansion packs, Civilizations III-V didn't have expansion packs, Galactic Civilization didn't have expansion packs, SimCity4 didn't have an x-pack or so.

If you don't like the economic model of gaming these days, that's a personal problem. When you say the game is poorly executed, yet have no hours in the game whatsoever, I guess I'll just have to take my own experience playing the game over what you read on the forum.

I really wonder what motivates people to attack games they haven't played yet, especially when they're talking to somebody who has actually played the game.

Edit: The Immigration constitution policy might be bugged, or just not balanced well enough.

Wow, you seem to be taking this personally. Why are you so upset over this? It was quite clear from my initial post that I hadn't played the game, so why you tried to sound clever and cocky by saying you "knew" I hadn't played it I'm not sure.

I see you have resorted to the age old "should just upgrade your PC" argument. If the game was well optimised it would work well for a large number of people. Everywhere I read about this game I see the same deal. "Removed features", "DLC inbound", "bugged, glitched, unpolished"... tell me why I should believe you, someone who made a defensive kneejerk reaction to a forum comment over hundreds of well thought out and reasoned complaints.

Wow, you seem to be taking this personally. Why are you so upset over this? It was quite clear from my initial post that I hadn't played the game, so why you tried to sound clever and cocky by saying you "knew" I hadn't played it I'm not sure.

Because it is important to point out you haven't played the game, and therefore you can't actually make any objective statements about how well the game is functioning based on a sample of a few players who failed to read the DirectX11 requirement.

I see you have resorted to the age old "should just upgrade your PC" argument. If the game was well optimised it would work well for a large number of people.

The point of a PC is that you have the ability to upgrade. Maybe if I was playing the 360, the idea that a 360 game isn't optimized to my particular 360 would miff me. However, I'm not playing a console. I'm playing a PC, so the burden of keeping up is on my end as well.

How many DirectX complaints, for example, are coming from the "can't read the minimum requirements" crowd? Anybody using DirectX10, for example, should be ignored entirely since the minimum requirements say x11 is needed.

Everywhere I read about this game I see the same deal. "Removed features", "DLC inbound", "bugged, glitched, unpolished"... tell me why I should believe you, someone who made a defensive kneejerk reaction to a forum comment over hundreds of well thought out and reasoned complaints.

Because an offensive kneejerk reaction is somehow better?

The people complaining about removed features are the same people who complained that T4 had *too* many features from T3. The people complaining about DLC really don't need to complain, since 99% of T4's DLC was ignorable. None of the DLc was absolutely vital for anything except the x-pack, which was a proper x-pack.

Not to mention that at this point, complaining about a game having DLC in 2014 is pretty amusing.

Third. Bugged, glitched, and unpolished. I've only noticed one possible bug, and that was just a few minutes ago. No glitches noticed on my end. The game isn't a 100% polished, but again, complaining that a game isn't released 100% is like pretending we're still living in 2004.

I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'm just pointing out your argument is flawed, that relying on the public forum for the actual state of the game is flawed because clearly the people who can't get the game to work would be the first ones to go to the forum, while the people actually able to play the game and are playing the game are doing that.

Clearly people are able to play the game. It is ranked seventeenth on Steam by player count right now, so the technical issues are by no means universal, and very likely the result of people not paying attention to the DX11 minimum requirement.

But maybe you're right and my fifteen hours of gameplay so far have been absolutely wracked with technical issues, bugs, and broken features and I somehow magically didn't notice them. :rolleyes:

The game isn't perfect, but anybody expecting a perfect release in 2014 is so far removed from the gaming scene it hurts.

So because I dont have personal experience I cant make any objective statements of it? Other peoples feedback is equal to nothing?

Well, maybe you re right. Good opinion.

Moderator Action: You are welcome to your opinion, please state it and stop trying to convince everyone that you are right. Participate in the discussion and please stop the rants.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Because it is important to point out you haven't played the game, and therefore you can't actually make any objective statements about how well the game is functioning based on a sample of a few players who failed to read the DirectX11 requirement.

The point of a PC is that you have the ability to upgrade. Maybe if I was playing the 360, the idea that a 360 game isn't optimized to my particular 360 would miff me. However, I'm not playing a console. I'm playing a PC, so the burden of keeping up is on my end as well.

How many DirectX complaints, for example, are coming from the "can't read the minimum requirements" crowd? Anybody using DirectX10, for example, should be ignored entirely since the minimum requirements say x11 is needed.

Because an offensive kneejerk reaction is somehow better?

The people complaining about removed features are the same people who complained that T4 had *too* many features from T3. The people complaining about DLC really don't need to complain, since 99% of T4's DLC was ignorable. None of the DLc was absolutely vital for anything except the x-pack, which was a proper x-pack.

Not to mention that at this point, complaining about a game having DLC in 2014 is pretty amusing.

Third. Bugged, glitched, and unpolished. I've only noticed one possible bug, and that was just a few minutes ago. No glitches noticed on my end. The game isn't a 100% polished, but again, complaining that a game isn't released 100% is like pretending we're still living in 2004.

I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'm just pointing out your argument is flawed, that relying on the public forum for the actual state of the game is flawed because clearly the people who can't get the game to work would be the first ones to go to the forum, while the people actually able to play the game and are playing the game are doing that.

Clearly people are able to play the game. It is ranked seventeenth on Steam by player count right now, so the technical issues are by no means universal, and very likely the result of people not paying attention to the DX11 minimum requirement.

But maybe you're right and my fifteen hours of gameplay so far have been absolutely wracked with technical issues, bugs, and broken features and I somehow magically didn't notice them. :rolleyes:

The game isn't perfect, but anybody expecting a perfect release in 2014 is so far removed from the gaming scene it hurts.

You are essentially saying that because it is 2014 it is acceptable to release a buggy, unfinished and clearly butchered game needing DLC. How did the gaming industry stoop so low and bring people like you with it?

I wish I was still in 2004.

Having played the game myself I must say I have not come across any noticeable bugs at the moment.

I am enjoying the time system, including in the campaign in how the isles are revisited.

Now if I wait one year I will most likely get tropico5 on 50-75% discount with couple of DLC and major bugs free.
That's exactly what I will do.
I got Tropico 4 when it was on discount, I'll do the same with Tropico 5. The few changes don't make me want to buy this game now. It can wait.

Top Bottom