Dumb question? Which civ owns that tile?

planetfall

Emperor
It used to seem obvious, as your city/civ expanded, you owned more and more tiles.

It also seemed obvious that when city A from civA and city B from CivB had tile X within 2 tiles of their city center, then tile X would be owned by the civ with the highest culture for their city.

However, although the above is true. I have observered a few strange anomies to the above assumptions:

1. a new city will often push out it's range over an established city,
2. a city with 5 culture/turn and newer will start displacing tiles from a city with over 100 culture.

Has there ever been any discussion of this? Is there a known formula for resolving who owns tile X?

PF

The city veiw will show you if that particular city owns that tile or not. If that doesn't help, basically if a Pop in the city cannot be placed on that tile in the city view then that city doesn't own it.

Perhaps I posed the question poorly. The question is not which of my cities own a tile. Say I'm England and have city NewLondon within three tiles of Roman city NewRome. Since tile halfway between NewLondon and NewRome could be owned by either England or Rome, what is the formula or method for determining which civ owns tile X which is half the distance between NewLondon and NewRome.

Is that any clearer?

PF

I don't know why you called it a dumb question 'cause I think it is relevant. There must be a formula for the game to resolve these issues and it would be good to know, especially when you start pressing against the other civ territory. I've wondered about the similar situation when your own civ's cultural influence expands and claims the other civs territory.

It's a dumb question so someone else can feel SMART by answering it.

Not really a dumb question, but if calling it a dumb question helps someone else feel smart, great.

To paraphrase your sig. "I once had a TV - but then I got cived, now I can't find my TV".

PF

If a tile falls within the cultural borders of two cities of different civilizations, the tile belongs to the civilization with the closest city to that tile (in movement points).

If there is a tie for the closest distance, the local culture of each city is used as a tie-breaker.

Alexman,

Thanks for rephrasing the question. I guess my question is what determines the boundaries of the culture border. Sometimes a city with low culture will push out it's culture boundaries, even though the neighboring city has higher culture.

The general variables for expanding culture boundaries are:
1. total civ culture
2. this city culture.

So on the overlaps and changes in both total civ culture and city culture what determines where the boundaries go? It usually goes to the city with the higher culture when civ cultures are about the same. But the problem is with the usually. I often see small culture cities pushing out civ's culture boundaries.

Curious about how the mechanics of this work.

PF

A tile will go to the city which it is closest to, provided that city has expanded far enough. If a tile is the same distance from two cities of different civs, that tile goes to whichever city has more local culture. If it's still tied, it goes to the older city.

So, if a square is in the area covered by Rome's second expansion, and Adrianople's first, and Adrianople has at least 10 culture, Adrianople gets the square no matter what Rome's culture is. If 'twere three squares from both, it would go to whichever city had more culture.

First of all: I don't know the mechanics of it.
As far as I observed if there is any overlapping, if one of the cities is expanding, it has a chance to take over some tiles from the other civ's city. But when that city grows, it might take it back. Once I had 1 tile switching between me and the Hittites every time that one of the two cities grew. Unfortunately I did every worker job on that tile but the benefit mostly went to the Hittites...

This can also be very interresting when there is only 1 tile between u're city and u're oponents civ, and 1 city will have a border immediate to the citytile :p

but i'm not sure if the culture works that well, my city had temple, coloseum and 4 pop, but i lost the tile to them..so..i razed there city :D :D

Originally posted by planetfall
Thanks for rephrasing the question. I guess my question is what determines the boundaries of the culture border.
I didn't think I was rephrasing your question, but rather answering it. Does Halcyon's answer make things any clearer?

The cultural boundaries of a city expand every time the local city culture reaches a level 10 times the previous expansion. Forget other civilizations' boundaries for now.

When the cultural boundaries of two cities of different civilizations overlap, the civilization with the closest city gets the tile.

When there is a tie in distance, the city with the greatest culture gets the tile, and if there is still a tie, the oldest city gets the tile.

OK, I'll watch for exact mystery data, i.e., where culture boundary is not as expected.

So on overlap cases, the total culture of a civ doesn't effect boundaries, only the culture of the two competing cities. Is this correct?

PF

That's correct, but only in cases where the two cities are equally far from the tile in question. Otherwise culture is irrelevant.

There has to be some type of math involved in the determining of cultural expansion. For instance, what controls how far out into the ocean the influence can spread. I haven't noticed any type of repeat pattern to growth. (But it seems there should be, but i've not counted)
For instance: does each expansion = 1 additional square added to existing influence radius. ( Assuming no other influence is effecting the squares.)
So, if you build a city on the coast, your influence should extend two squares into the sea. After 3 expansions would it then extend 5 squares? If so, I haven't found this to be consistant or predictable. Any thoughts? Does anyone know the exact rules or code?

Top Bottom