Orc Onslaught: Blackadder

The Black Adder

Warlord
This is one of the four threads emerging from Semulins Warhammer challenge - you might want to read that thread first to find out what this is all about...

Some more specs: WH2 mod, emperor level, Ironclaw orcs, large map, continents, random climate and age. High elves, slann, dwarfs, bretonnia, the empire and albion are pre-picked, the rest (total of 15 enemies) is random.

Prologue

- 2000 IC, a rainy day: Gorbad Ironclaw, a young, strong orc enters the chieftains tent.

They were nomads, roaming the plains of a world they didn't know much about. Every place they moved to seemed new, even if they had been there before as every memory passed soon from their minds. It was as if they were surrounded by everlasting darkness, beginning where the horizon ends. There was no lore, except for tales about their gods, most importantly Luthic the goddess of earth and fertility, to whom they sacrificed snottlings every now and then, so she'd be merciful.

Gorbad had a vison - a vision of settling down and developing.
He wanted to subdue the land he walked upon - not just pass by as a guest, merely tolerated by Luthic. To become her master!
He wanted to come forward with his proposal, but as he spoke, chief Jughrath started shouting at him: "Do you really think I can challenge Luthic by commiting this blasphemy? She feeds us! If we insult her, first the land, and then our tribe will wither and then die!".
Gorbad jumped forward grasping Jugraths throat "If you're too gutless to challenge her, I will take your place and find new gods to protect us from her wrath.", he hissed, crushing the old chieftains windpipe.

Killing the chief was a perfectly legitimate way of becoming a leader and since noone, not even the shaman dared to challenge him, he became the new chief of the tribe, soon to be known as the "ironclaw orcs".
His first order was to end the nomadic lifestyle and found the first orcish city, named Karag Oran.

I

-2000 -1 IC​

After Karag Oran was founded, and Luthern did nothing to them, even the most doubtful followed Gorbad fanatically - a new age had begun.
Gruumsh, orc god of expansion and rulership and Gorbads most favoured deity soon began to rise in importance - and as fear from Luthern began to decline among the tribe, Gorbad felt that time was ripe for his next plan: Ripping out Lutherns intestines by means of a new art, called mining. It would take many orc lives, until it really became applicable, but they learned...

Meanwhile, snotlings were sent out to explore the surroundings of Karag Oran. They found a forgotten branch of their tribe, joining their cause and some odd looking ruins, serving as a model for building shrines in which Gruumsh could be worshipped.

Most important of all, they found out that they were not the only tribe on the world - and those others were not even orcs, but a feeble looking kind calling themselves wood elves. They didn't like each other, but nevertheless traded some knowledge.

Even further to the north, they encountered yet another tribe - these "Westerlanders" were different from the elves. Even though they didn't look quite as feeble, their settlement called Halsdorph was - strangely enough - completely unguarded. This was a first opportunity to please Gruumsh. After trading knowledge with them, the snotling is immediately ordered to occupy the village.

The so far hopeless Westerlander attacks received help from an unexpected side soon: Yurtrus, the silent one, God of disease dwells in the jungle surrounding the village, killing our spearmen. It must also be the explanation why the city was captured unguarded.
Also, the enemy attacks with newly developed ranged weapons. All this forces Gorbad to do the thing without a name in orcish tongue - The orcs declare "not-war" on the Westerlanders.

Exploring further to the north, we meet new people - arabyans, who seem to be about the same species as westerlanders and another tribe whose attitude is much more similar to that of the Orcs: The Hordes of Chaos.
Meanwhile, ironclaw sages discover the secret of smithing - this would allow to smelt iron and recruit stronger black orc warriors, armed with hammers. "Now that we truly have claws of iron, let this be a turning point in ironclaw calculation of times." Gorbad proclaimed, and thus it was called the year 1 IC.

@El Loco & Communisto: Thanks for the positive feedback.
I'm also allways hoping for some criticism to improve the story, so if there's anything on your minds, please post it.

Can't do too much about my bad english though, so just imagine an orc writing this stuff ;).

Expect a new part tomorrow - just got home from a party and I'm too drunk to write anything...

A nice story BA, I especially like the pictures. I've never been lucky enough to get a city in that way.

II

skirmish

Fortunately, The tribe had to two sources of iron on their territory - making it accessible would take some time, but at least it was there.
Time passed on until 540 without anything important occuring, but in this year, a snotling messenger entered the tower of Karag Oran with news: "Chief Gorbad!, the elves have crossed our territory with an archer and a settler!"

"Looks like they want to settle on our territory - Sahgorim, my diplomatic advisor, do you think there's any way of stopping them without war?"
"No - our cultural influence hasn't spread wide enough to prevent their crossing", the diplomatic advisor and high-shaman of Shargaas, god of darkness, stealth and trickery replied.
"I thought so. Worthag, what about our troop strength?"
General Worthag, the military advisor counted his fingers for a brief moment and then said: "We're not ready to conquer the elves yet, but it should be enough to stop the settlers advance and defend our border-cities."
"Then let's go to war"

The archer was soon killed and the settler enslaved, but as Worthag said, the troops were not strong enough to capture elven cities, because they still consisted mainly of snotlings.
But two new wars were at hand: After the orcs had learned how to sail, an arabyan messenger arrived, demanding to be taught that art. "We bow down to noone!" was the reply and so, the arabs declared war. Further, the westerlanders who had mastered the art of sailing way earlier, landed on Luthics plains, near Karag Oran by boat - they even managed to found a settlement, but it only existed for one year - wolf riders rushed in and burned it to the ground.
The troops even managed to take another westerlandish hamlet called Aarnau near Halsdorph.

Further, we meet the Redeye goblins - they are much like the ironclaws and the two tribes embrace each other like long lost cousins. Their chief, Dork Redeye visits Karag Oran and warriors are cheering in the streets. Afterwards, a huge boozing party is held in the tower.

930 IC, the tower of Karag Oran: Ig, the chief of scientists approaches Gorbad Ironclaw: "We fall back in science and I've checked back with Sahgorim, who said that the only way to get science from trade was to make notwar with the elves, westerlanders and arabs." Gorbad looked at general Worthag - "What do you say?" "I say that it would be helpful to make notwar with the arabs - they're pouring down unto halsdorph in huge numbers, Yurtrus keeps killing our spearmen and we can't properly supply the city. The Westerlanders are ammassing troops to retake Aarnau. As i said, we have no problem holding the elves of, but we can't gain anything right now, it's more of a skirmish than a full scale war." "Good - tell Sahgorim to do what you need to catch up in science." Gorbad decided. And thus, notwar was made and technology traded. Our freat culture even accomplished what our warrious were incapable of: The elven city of Alwylyn deposes it's governor and joins the orc tribe - right in the time when a great project came close to completion.

In the year 970, The moon over Karag Oran suddenly appears blood red - Did it mean death? did it mean glory? Chief Gorbad consults his shamans, who say it's a good omen sent by Gruumsh. As they soon found out, the moon would appear this way in all of ironclaws territory when it was full. Gorbad declares it the night of the chaos moon, in which rape remained uncharged. This makes two unhappy warriors content in all cities, and the cities start growing twice as fast.

In 1030 IC Jaffar, Sultan of the Arabs wont stop to try bullying the orcs around - he sends a note demanding 29 gold. Gorbad consults his advisors: "This is an outrage! We can't be forced to pay tribute to the arabs! - Worthag, what can we do about it?"
"I'm afraid not too much - the northern cities are still cut of by the elves so we can't resupply them, whereas the arabs have too many troops for their garrisons to deal with - risking a war would mean loss of our cities in Yurtrus Jungle.".
"Damn! I will have to pay then, but we have to make sure this wont happen ever again - you have to come up with some plan!"
"we could take on the elves soon - they're backwards and our troops are about to reach invasion strength. We could unite our territory and ammass forces to the north afterwards, so we could stand up to the arabs in the future, or even turn the table and invade them."
"Sounds like a plan - start preparations immediately! Ariel, your time has come."

1060 IC General Worthag enters the throne room "Chief, I'm proud to inform you that we're ready to Invade elven territory. I have a battle plan worked out."
"Excellent - show it to me!" Gorbad grinned

Worthag started explaining: "The plan is that group east takes Sith whatever assisted by reinforcements from the north. The group is strong and success seems guaranteed. This is crucial, as it is a main goal of this war to unite our mainland with our northern enclave - if war effort is going unexpectedly bad, we can still declare notwar and have our main goal accomplished. Group west tries taking Athel Loren or weakens it's defenses until it is joined by the victorious eastern group. After Athel Loren is taken, the combined forces march on to the west and conquer the remaining elven cities."
"Simple - but it looks efficient - a plan worthy of us orcs! - Now get it started!"

And so it was done. Group east was successfull immediately, whilst group west was unable to take Athel Loren, but continuosly weakened its garrison with fast wolf rider raids. When the victorios group east arrived, Athel Loren fell. This happened in 1180 and the elven palace was burned to the ground. Black orc warriors were seen celebrating on it's smouldering ruins and after the wounds were healed, they moved westward, to destroy the rest of the elven kingdom.

Meanwhile, in the tower of Karag Oran, Worthag reports about the ongoing war. After the situation is described, he has one more thing to add: "Science chief Ig told me that Sahgorim traded knowledge with the hordes of chaos and we now know how to train our units, and we can build new orc chariots now - I will order them to the front immediately, as they'll surely speed up our war." "NO!", Gorbad shouted "stop them at once!! They will lead us into a golden age and I don't want that to happen until all of out land is perfectly developed, so we can use it's maximum strength.". "As you wish, chief." Worthag grumbled.

The elves were desperate. They attacked with wounded units and even sent workers to stop the advance, but to no avail - they all fell like grass. In 1320, there were now only three cities left and these would fall sooner or later. Ig came up with a new development of his own - gearworks that would increase our productivity, and the ironclaw orcs entered a new era...

Sounds Good. Keep crushing de pesky ones for de rest of us.

Well done you're doing much better than me. I just posted a pic of my orc territory as it stands in 950.

1360 IC - A letter reaches the tower of Karag Oran:

Gorbad summons his staff: "Jaffar the Bastard does it again! 21 gp are not that much, but our treasury is running low and it's half of what we've got - but the worst thing is not the money, it's the humiliation!! Worthag, are we ready to face them yet?" We're still dealing with the elves, but these are only some pockets of resistance, so we could risk it, but it's still possible that we lose one or two cities - I say: face them!"
Knorgh, the domestic advisor piped up "I'd like to put into your consideration that losing a city would cost us far more than 21 gold in the long run."
"Our achievements are about the same as the arabs, so our troops should be able to deal with the arabs, technically" Ig mentioned.
"We don't have any embassies and forging alliances against the arabs would be helpful in times of war - unfortunately our treasury wont allow us to install ambassadors in other cities right now. Also, Jaffar could make the rest of the continent declare war on us maybe, and that could result in more than the loss of one city." Foreign advisor Sahgorim added.
"Hrrmpf - We will make Jaffar regret every second of his life he didn't spend licking orc boots - but not now - I will pay..." Gorbad decided unwillingly.

1420 IC, The northern border to Westerland: Ginug, a snotling scout on border patrol suddenly hears the trampling of hoofs - as he turns around, an arabyan scimitar slices his head of. Araby has entered our territory from westerland territory and another column is approaching from the jungly pass west of halsdorph.

Tower of Karag Oran, tribal council: Gorbad opens speech: "Today, the arabs started a war against us, breaking a trade agreement, it was absolutely unprovoked, but these fanatics just seemed to be up for it - suggestions?"
Worthag: "The arabs killed a snotling patrol and are heading towards Halsdorph through the jungle. It hampers their progress and Halsdorphs garrison is relatively strong, so I think we can hold them of until further reinforcements arrive - but I request authorisation to use chariots in the course of this war."
Gorbad: "Good - your request will be considered - we could use a golden age, with the arabs being a strong adversary..."
Sahgorim: "We have some money at our diposal, if you would allow me to use some of it to build embassies, we could forge military alliances against the arabs."
Gorbad: "Take whatever you need."
Ig: We're just about learning the secrets of feudalism and we could start researching steel afterwards - this would allow us to equip our black orcs with stronger weapons and armor. I therefore request that we don't lower our scientific expenses in favor of Sahgorims plans."
Gorbad: "Granted."

Sahgorim sends out orcs having the strange habit of washing themselves to establish embassies in Khorinaun (Chaos) and Marienburg (Westerland). Both are convinced to declare war on the arabs. This would bind a great deal of arab forces and they can't cross westerland peacefully now - only the jungly pass is left.

1510 Worthag brings news from the front: "As you know, the arabs have reached Halsdorph quite some time ago, but strangely enough, they don't attack the city and keep clowning about. Further, I'm proud to report that we're ready to take the last elven city. I also once more request the use of chariots against araby - we could easily sally out and kill some of them - their crews are eager for a fight and don't see why they sit in halsdorph, doing nothing."
"Hold the chariots, destroy the elves." Was Gorbads quick reply - and so, the last woodelf bearing arms was killed.

@Owain: I had the same feeling, but who cares? A free city ;).

@Tyrion: As it looks in your story your first war wasn't going that bad - hope you can kick some more of the pesky ones yourself ;).

@Kingarthur: I've seen it - doesn't look all that bad - one successfull war and you're on top...

About this thread: I think it's important to know that not everything takes places in exactly the year I've written this into - I allways merge a few turns - and I forgot to mention that I've built the spice road in Karag Oran in 1270...

Hope you'll make Jaffar regret he was born ;) - just one question: any news from the other civs not on your continent? Guess you haven't found them yet, but I guess there should be some wonder popups telling you how they do...

Yeah their are a few in mine bu no single civ seems to be dominating the Wonders.

@Billy Rubin: I didn't write about it to get away from reporting, besides KA an Tyrion are reading this, (due to Semulin's concept, they aren't supposed to, allthough I don't mind at all, because it's their first emp game).

But in case you really want to know:

Spoiler :

Seems Kislev and Sylvania are doing extremely well - they're ahead of me in science and build wonder after wonder. Might become a problem, because I don't go for quest victory, and as it looks, they could complete it after 2000 - hope to get warpstorm to destroy their quests until then...

Top Bottom