Roads

Ok, I have played a lot of Civ3, but only just started ciV

Whats the deal with roads? Each one costs? Should I only add roads where I need to connect things (What do I need to connect!)

The only things you need to connect are cities; don't worry about resources, they are automatically connected once you improve their tile with the appropriate improvement.

Besides connecting cities, I will sometimes build a road towards the "front" in a war, in order to more quickly provide reinforcements.

You mean should you purchase tiles as opposed to waiting for your city to naturally expand?

I suppose it's just situational after you weigh the gold cost vs. the value of the tile vs. the urgency of your need.

It is certainly useful if you put down a city next to an enemy - you can take all the good tiles before they do - or if an enemy puts down a city next to you - you can secure the resources you were expanding into before they steal them.

Whats the deal with roads? Each one costs? Should I only add roads where I need to connect things (What do I need to connect!)

If you play as Rome and get iron working/build iron mine, you can upgrade your warriors to Legions, they can then build your roads for you.

the amount of gold you get from a trade network is dependent on city size. Long roads might cost more than the trade route generates.

In general, I wont connect a city until the size of the city is equal to the distance of road.

That makes a the minimum a size 3 city four tiles away (three road segments). If it is five road segments, wait until the city is approaching size 5.

Agree, unless there is another compelling reason to build the road before the city's pop gets to that threshold (e.g., military necessity, messenger of the gods pantheon).

Top Bottom