Single player score important?

canadianreefer

Chieftain
Playing on Deity, what would be around the appropriate turn to start catching up to the AI in terms of single player score. I've been successfully starting games but by turn 100 or so I'm still 100 points behind 7th place (of 8). Is this normal? Also I'd like to know what are the main factors of single player score and how much it actually affects whether you get a victory or not.
Thanks

Click on Victory Progress - top left shows you the elements that constitute your score (cities, population, land, wonders, technologies, future tech). At Diety, since you start with only one settler (to the AI's two) and four fewer techs, lack the population growth and production advantages of the AI, and aren't getting early wonders, you should expect to remain at the bottom of the score rankings for quite a while.

Unlike lower levels, I've never been the points leader in a Diety game. Nearly all of my Diety victories come when I'm at the middle of the rankings (and often lower), particularly any OCC victory (obviously) and every victory condition involving a "tall" strategy that does not include many puppets.

Playing on Deity, what would be around the appropriate turn to start catching up to the AI in terms of single player score. I've been successfully starting games but by turn 100 or so I'm still 100 points behind 7th place (of 8). Is this normal? Also I'd like to know what are the main factors of single player score and how much it actually affects whether you get a victory or not.
Thanks

You need to conquer on Deity. There is almost no point in building settlers since the AI can do twice as good of a job expanding as you can. I haven't played gods and kings yet (my plan for thanks giving :3) but I don't think the gameplay has changed very much. Going beyond 3 cities was pointless and even going to 3 cities was questionable (3rd city was usually just to settle on iron). You could play a solid game with 1 city by getting archers out early and conquering. A second city was only really helpful if there was a good city location to settle on.

as Browd said, number of cities, wonders built, etc define score. it shouldnt be the thing to really focus on. ive won with tech and culture vics pre-patch and was never in the top 4 in points, also im usually never over 800. when i go conquering im almost always number one but you cant help it when you reduce the opponents score at the same time while taking their pop/cities/wonders/etc.

early scores change hands quite a bit. ive seen wonder spammers lead until t200+ but then get outscored by 200+ points from the conqueror civ.

Top Bottom