Sick of Krakatoa spawning out in the middle of the ocean?

Barathor

Emperor
This makes a lot of sense for gameplay reasons, so great work. I think the ideal would be if a chain of islands were formed near it so you could settle, but it would also still be out in the ocean. But, barring that, this is much, much better. Krakatoa is really just good for the happiness boost these days.

The only thing I`m sick of is that it never expodes eventually like it should costing Civ lives if you`re too close enjoying its previous benefits. Because of that I can live with it.

Maybe they could keep the current placement out in the ocean but then offer a one-time science boost for whoever finds it first. Give further incentive for exploring the seas.

Actually in my most recent game I've found it close enough to the shore to work it in my second city. However it's an archiepelago map, so that might be why. And it's definately the first time I've seen it workable

Thank you for the placement link.

Regarding Socratatus' point, I agree with him but would take it a step further. Krakatoa's explosion had a global impact as well as local. It might make sense to include a random event of Krakatoa exploding, with a global drop in food production for a couple of years following. From Wikipedia concerning the 1883 explosion: "Average global temperatures fell by as much as 1.2 degrees Celsius in the year following the eruption. Weather patterns continued to be chaotic for years and temperatures did not return to normal until 1888."

Thank you for the placement link.

Regarding Socratatus' point, I agree with him but would take it a step further. Krakatoa's explosion had a global impact as well as local. It might make sense to include a random event of Krakatoa exploding, with a global drop in food production for a couple of years following. From Wikipedia concerning the 1883 explosion: "Average global temperatures fell by as much as 1.2 degrees Celsius in the year following the eruption. Weather patterns continued to be chaotic for years and temperatures did not return to normal until 1888."

Yeah, but they removed random events from civ V because people complained too much about them in Civ IV.

Maybe they could keep the current placement out in the ocean but then offer a one-time science boost for whoever finds it first. Give further incentive for exploring the seas.

I like that idea. Especially considering there isn't even a boost for being the first to circumnavigate the globe. Although, that would guarantee a science boost for Polynesia

I like the Civ4 bonus where that civ get like +1 movement/sight or something after circumventing the globe Maybe just nerf that to +1 sight which is a small bonus but still very useful. Would indirectly buff Polynesia since he's pretty lackluster already.

Yeah...but sometimes you can get a nice surprise... Playing as Spain I was the first to find it...with a Trireme.... and early enough in the game that the 500g was nice. I was lucky though.... Though I seem to be the only coastal civ....my three neighbouring civs are all complete ...or nearly complete, "landlubbers".... ;)

I like the Civ4 bonus where that civ get like +1 movement/sight or something after circumventing the globe Maybe just nerf that to +1 sight which is a small bonus but still very useful. Would indirectly buff Polynesia since he's pretty lackluster already.
There is a mod for Civ5 that gives you that:

Global - Enable Magellan (v 2)

Nice fix for Krakatoa btw, such a silly thing how it behaved.

Top Bottom