Prehistoric Era [BNW] - Total Conversion

I joined civfanatics just to follow this mod. Carloscodex, please keep up the project! It looks great. If you can't continue working on it, please look for someone that might take over. It's a great concept. Thanks for the work you've done so far.

Hi carloscodex,
I played this mod yesterday and had a great time. It is a pity nobody is developing it further. (Or is there sombody?) I couldn’t help myself and made some notes on what to change to make it even better :) So, here are my impressions.

First of all, what I really liked: starting without knowing the placement of luxury resources. It made me place my second city next to the natural wonder to be sure I have at least some bonuses. The third was quite blind.

Happiness. Even though I founded cities quite quickly and without any luxury, I had not have problems with happiness. This diminished some tension early in the game – which is unfortunate. I suggest delete all happiness increasing buildings from the prehistorical era. AI had the same “problem”; it founded endless number of cities.

Money. AI tends to spawn military units from the very beginning but there were no wars in the prehistorical era. Some of them simply bankrupted and stopped developing. I, myself, had financial problems as well despite the fact I had only four units. The maintenance cost of them and of buildings is imbalanced. Or, maybe, it somehow increases over the course of time (?)

AI had other problems with the mod as well. In the unmoded game, the AI makes workers to get quick farms. In the prehistoric era, it produced many laborer in the time when there was nothing to work on: agriculture is not discovered yet, newly added prehistorical resources are too scattered. I stole some of the laborers but really needed just one of them. This actually makes playing on higher difficulty much easier.

Unique units. The mod is not really playable with some civs. E. g. Shoshone’s Pathfinder (let you decide what bonus you take from the ancient ruins) is not available from the beginning, but first after discovering the scouting. At that time, there was nothing to scout. In my opinion, it is necessary to take the civilizations one by one and re-think their UU. Some of them (like Slingers) can be weakened and moved into prehistorical era. The magic of many UU is that you have them from the very beginning. It makes the game “replayable”.

Beliefs. Belief bonuses are connected with luxury resources but pantheons are founded much earlier than civs know the placement of them. It made me as well as the AI to choose non-specific beliefs (e.g. god-king, healing bonuses…) This is in conflict with the basic idea behind the pantheon.

Difficulty. I played Antarctica Thawed (Pangea type map), standard size (8 civs, 16 cs), deity dif., epic pace. I end up the game in the classic era and don’t have time to play further. My overall impression was, the game was too easy. I managed to found a religion, even build a wonder, which is usually quite impossible on deity.

There are also some bugs. Inner trades produce way too much food. For example, 15 for my first ancient era sea route. It probably should have been “5”, not “15”.
Some ancient ruins did nothing – no message, no bonus.

Even though it seems quite a lot points, I really like the mod. Does anybody develop it further? If so, I could help by suggesting some more specific changes. I don’t recommend making the mod any broader. I think there is still room to connect it to the game core more tightly.

Anyway, good work.

Does anybody else's game crash once you discover Bronze Working?

I'm using only the Prehistoric Era mod and the Smart AI

If you reach an ancient ruin via Pathfinder of civ shoshone, the option to choose benefit doesn't appear. Worse, you don't even get any benefit at all! :(

I really liked the "clasical" (I mean the very old one) version of this mod. I mean the version with this techtree

Honestly it was most appealing to me. It gives nice expanding of the start of civilization, but the next version... well for me they seem kinda too much. I mean the further it goes the less "civish" it seems to me. This very first version was for me a nice balance between expanding start and keeping the gameplay in the way it was supposed to do. I know some may like those changing civ into the completely different game (which in current state this mod definitely do) but I would like to play this version with more "conservative" approach, not changing the game all this much. Does anyone know where to find this version? I had it on my HDD disc, but currently, it's damaged and I don't know when (if at all) I will regain data from it.
Actually, I would do some little changes (perhaps even using elements from newer versions), but I would rather keep it with this tech tree (and also making first 2/3 columns (+initial tech) the actually separate era), maybe just a little changes, and simply add more building and other stuff to do... I actually hope the author wouldn't mind me developing old version of his mod in my way (as part of a way bigger mod, albeit it would be more concerned about the future, but I wanted to develop it two way... but rather by adding to original tech tree than making bigger changes to it(and connecting whole bunch of other mods...)... well it's a matter of yet indeterminate future anyway). I also didn't that like much the idea of prehistoric resources... and of resources not being visible at first (their presence is crucial in planning where to set a city! That was actually the only part of the mod didn't like)
Spoiler Things I would add/change in this older version: :

• Bonus and Luxury Resources will be visible but they would provide NO yield initially
  • Adding some food yield to three of life (actually I'm not sure about that concept so maybe I would just change it to something else...)
  • New building in tools: tool maker (+2 production, cost: 16)
  • Hunting and gathering adds yield to bonus resources, and give 1 new building: gatherer hut (+1 production and food, cost 16), also give "food gathering" proces which converts 25% of production into food.
  • Food storage move to social structure (actually... it seems to me it was there when I was playing this mod for the first time...), chieftain huts gives also +1 gold
  • Trading gives yield from luxury resources, +1 gold to food storage, tool maker and gatherer hut, it also increases the number of trade routes by 1 and gives trader - unit which is way cheaper and way weaker version of caravan (only half the range (or maybe 6/7), and perhaps only half of income)
  • Move monument to idols (instead of masonry)
  • Placing wonders from "Neolitic wonders" somewhere in tech tree, I'm not sure where yet... I think probably art fo Barnenez, Idols for Ggantija (but here already is one Ggantija... so I would have to decide which choose or how to merge them...), newgrange also probably to one of them... and Skara Brae most likely trading or agriculture (they should get something more after all)
  • (Also first palaca additions in the 3rd column(idols, agriculture and leadership)

Top Bottom