Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I just picked this (Gold) up last night. I've been playing CivRev since before it came out in the US (import from UK), so I understand how the game works, even though Civ4 is much more indepth.

messed around with Noble-Terra-Huge-Marathon map last night (just to see how my new comp would handle the game).

here's my question/issue...
very beginning of the game and Capital is rocking 1 citizen. the food surplus is increasing the Pop bar up until the point at which it only has a few turns until the Pop increases (63/66 for example). from that point on, all the surplus food, somehow converted to extra Prod. this goes on for many turns until out of nowhere the Cap goes up to 2 Pop, and everything seems fine after that.

after playing for a bit (and getting done in by Barbs:blush:), I started up another game to test it, and it did exactly the same thing.

Is there a setting (that I searched for) that I'm missing?
Is this suppose to happen, and there's an explaination for it (that I'd love to hear)?

Thanks!!!

very beginning of the game and Capital is rocking 1 citizen. the food surplus is increasing the Pop bar up until the point at which it only has a few turns until the Pop increases (63/66 for example). from that point on, all the surplus food, somehow converted to extra Prod. this goes on for many turns until out of nowhere the Cap goes up to 2 Pop, and everything seems fine after that.
Without looking at a saved game file, it sounds like you were building either a Worker or a Settler. City growth freezes when you build either of those units, with all production and food going into the build.

that's probably it. thanks!!
I've done a bunch of reading up on Civ4 before purchasing (including the Strategy Guide in your sig, which I also reread before posting the question) and never saw anything to that effect.
does make sense though, since I was probably building a Settler at the time

In my current civ4 warlords game I had a city revolt and join the spanish.
Is there anything I could have done to stop the revolt?
How do I get it back without combat or is combat the only way?

I read somewhere about putting troops in the city might help but im not sure if that was a civ4 thread.
I have also had 3 cites revolt and join me, whats the best way to keep them so they dont switch back, I have one city thats about 32 percent mine and the rest is barbarian. do I just need to put troops and raise culture to make sure it doesnt revolt?
Thanks for the help
ArchmageJ

In my current civ4 warlords game I had a city revolt and join the spanish.
Is there anything I could have done to stop the revolt?
How do I get it back without combat or is combat the only way?

I read somewhere about putting troops in the city might help but im not sure if that was a civ4 thread.
I have also had 3 cites revolt and join me, whats the best way to keep them so they dont switch back, I have one city thats about 32 percent mine and the rest is barbarian. do I just need to put troops and raise culture to make sure it doesnt revolt?
Thanks for the help
ArchmageJ
You seem to have the right idea: a combination of stationing a lot of troops there and building the city's culture up with things like a theatre, library, temples, and so on will usually do the trick of keeping a city under cultural pressure under your control.

2 questions

1 What does first strike actually do? Does it equate to an increase in combat strength? Is there a relative benefit or disbenefit to increasing combat or defense strngth at promotion rather than first strike?

2 Defense bonus - how does the game calculate the regen process after defenses have been bombarded? What rate do you get your defenses back? Also sometimes on the main map the defense bonus is different from what you see on the city screen - why is this?

1/ If a unit has one first strike, it means that there is one round of combat when it can not be wounded. It is usually good when you have an upper hand over the opponent's units, because it means that your unit will have less chances to suffer damage, thus either being able to defend against more units (if defender), or be able to heal faster for more attacks (if offender)

2/ no idea :( But the difference you see I think is due to the difference between walls/castles defences (which gunpowder units ignore) and cultural defences (always up)

2 Defense bonus - how does the game calculate the regen process after defenses have been bombarded? What rate do you get your defenses back? Also sometimes on the main map the defense bonus is different from what you see on the city screen - why is this?
Defenses regen at the rate of 5% per turn, but it's a relative 5% and not an absolute 5%. The idea is that it will take 20 turns to regen back to its full value. The regen doesn't start until there is a turn without bombardment.

For example, assume that the city had 60% cultural defense, and no other bonuses like walls or castles. The city has been bombed down to zero defense on turn 100. On turn 101, it is still at 0%; then on turn 102 it regains 1/20 of its original 60% and so now has 3% cultural defense. Then on turn 103 it's up to 6% and so on.

TOPIC: Golden Age
The book that comes with Civ IV says that one way to start a Golden Age is to sacrifice Great People.
The first time it takes two sacrifices.
What the book doesn't say is HOW to sacrifice a Great Person.

So, how do you sacrifice a Great Person? :(

The book that comes with Civ IV says that one way to start a Golden Age is to sacrifice Great People.

When a great person is selected there is an icon in the orders bar that looks like a gold coin. That triggers the golden age.

It's also been changed so that the first GA only takes one great person

It's also been changed so that the first GA only takes one great person

This change is only for Beyond the Sword, an expansion, so if he's still playing the original, it requires two great people of different types. The next GA costs 3 GP, etc.

Does this UU cause collateral damage on attacks AND while defending? I realize that col.dam. while defending is a silly idea but.....one can always hope!

I play BTS 3.13 with HOF mod 3.13. Is there a tool that will display what percentage of the AP/UN votes my civ has at any moment?

If not, is there a utility out there that will do so?

Does this UU cause collateral damage on attacks AND while defending? I realize that col.dam. while defending is a silly idea but.....one can always hope!
No. Catapults and other siege weapons don't either

As for your other question, I have no idea.

I play BTS 3.13 with HOF mod 3.13. Is there a tool that will display what percentage of the AP/UN votes my civ has at any moment?

Percentage? No not really. You can go to Victory Conditions then Resolutions to see how many votes each person has.

Percentage? No not really. You can go to Victory Conditions then Resolutions to see how many votes each person has.

:lol: thanks...I forgot it might be so simple :eek:

I am wondering if the effects of building Stonehenge apply only to existing cities at the time it is built or does it apply to citeis built after as well?

Top Bottom