Do Archers count as Melee units in regards to bonuses?

MenacingVitamin

Chieftain
I know there is a combat upgrade that improves certain units against archers, but it doesn't seem like there are any units that start with a bonus vs. archers. It seems there's a unit to counter every other unit type, save for archers. Do the units that have an advantage vs. Melee extend that advantage to archers also?

Or, is there a unit that IS better against archers that I've overlooked?

Thanks in advance.

Actually, archers count as archery units, surprisingly enough. So do crossbowmen, longbowmen and the like, for the record.

The counter to archery untis is the fact that they are weaker than melee units of the same time period.

For example...

Archer: strength 3.
Spearman: strength 4.
Axeman: strength 5.
Swordsman: strength 6.

Longbow: strength 6.
Maceman: strength 8.
Knight: strength 10.

There are 2 UUs having extra bonus vs. archery units: immortal +50%, quechua +100%. And that's it.

That was the answer I was looking for, Heroes...thanks.

I'm suprised that there wasn't a general unit included with a bonus vs. Archer units. All civs get units that counter every other unit, except archers. Perhaps the low strength is the inherent counter, as CitizenCain suggested.

I think you get bonus agaitsn archer at the LEVEL 2 OR 3 of some units .

I think my roman uu had the options to bonus againts archer . But after already 3 bonus took .

I dont remember well if it was roman uu , but it was for sure not the immortal or quechua

Mat777 said:
I think you get bonus agaitsn archer at the LEVEL 2 OR 3 of some units .

I think my roman uu had the options to bonus againts archer . But after already 3 bonus took .

I dont remember well if it was roman uu , but it was for sure not the immortal or quechua

The Roman UU Praetorian has NO additional advantage over swordsman besides its strength being 8 instead of 6, and it even loses swordsman's +10% city attack!

MenacingVitamin said:
That was the answer I was looking for, Heroes...thanks.

I'm suprised that there wasn't a general unit included with a bonus vs. Archer units. All civs get units that counter every other unit, except archers. Perhaps the low strength is the inherent counter, as CitizenCain suggested.

Oh, and there is a promotion that gives +25% vs archery units. So experience is another counter... That became useful for me when I buimped into a few longbows fortified in a city, on a hill, with a wall and a castle. Never let it be said that I did the smart thing and waited for gunpowder. 4 suicidal catapults and a few knights and macemen (with the cover promotion) was all it took.

CitizenCain said:
Oh, and there is a promotion that gives +25% vs archery units. So experience is another counter... That became useful for me when I buimped into a few longbows fortified in a city, on a hill, with a wall and a castle. Never let it be said that I did the smart thing and waited for gunpowder. 4 suicidal catapults and a few knights and macemen (with the cover promotion) was all it took.

thats what i was speaking about .

Also, stuff like Chariots ignore the First Strike ability of archers.

Top Bottom