How does Final Frontier compare to Galactic Civilizations 2?

GalCiv2 has one asset that is far and away better than any of the Civ's -- you don't need to put the CD into your computer to play it. Just click the game icon and play.

I know Civ has Direct to Drive but their previous issues with patches for D2D led me to again buy the disk -- Stardock's method of equalizing disc and D2D programs and patches is the way to go.

I really have to disagree (slightly): Galciv 2 surely is a great game, but the unit building is (like in Space Empires 5) just time eating, and the research tree is a bit strange, compared to the civilization series. I think FF should have MUCH more wonders, units and technologies, but after all it's much more fun, you can play civ 4 in space, which is not possible with galciv 2 because you need some kind of doctor in strategy (west point academy or something like that) to "play" it.

;)

I really have to disagree (slightly): Galciv 2 surely is a great game, but the unit building is (like in Space Empires 5) just time eating, and the research tree is a bit strange, compared to the civilization series. I think FF should have MUCH more wonders, units and technologies, but after all it's much more fun, you can play civ 4 in space, which is not possible with galciv 2 because you need some kind of doctor in strategy (west point academy or something like that) to "play" it.

;)
Oh, no doubt about it, GalCiv2 is more complex -- and just like Civ if you play at the higher levels you need to use ALL the tools. GalCiv does make you use "design your own ships" to be successful at the higher levels. I'm not knocking FF -- it just GalCiv2 lite.
My PhD was in strategy --how'd you guess:smoke:

With the new expansion coming up in Nov. it sound like Galciv2 will have even more depth than it already has.

The best thing is FF is FREE with your copy of Civ 4 : BTS!

:lol:

and when you buy a car you get free wheels, free windows, free chassis, free engine, free doors, free mirrors, free headlights, free seats etc etc :p

yeah just got an email from stardock anouncing the new expansion....not sure if i'll pick it up but it's nice to see they're still actively developping the game =)

I got it too.... but not convinced.

A) I never liked the idea of star destroyers (yes I know a million people want them!)

B) The only improvement I really want to see now to GalCiv is some LAN capability so I can convince my flatmate to have a game with me. The trick that currently lets you run a LAN game is very buggy and unworkable on my PC.

In my humble opinion (I love this phrase, only English could came up with something like that), it's more fun to build already created ships, like in civ-ff and also in moo2 and slightly change it's abilitys (promotions, or like in moo2) than to have to build everything anew from chassis to phasers. everytime you start a new game...

but of course this discussion is not about my humble opinions *smile* - I like both games, but I am to much Civ addicted so my vote goes for FF :)

You know that in Galciv 2, you save all your designs and can use them in every game right? :)

GalCiv 2 4tW !!

You know that in Galciv 2, you save all your designs and can use them in every game right? :)

actually... I did not know :) - but I suppose, this works only if you always have the same research path. At least in space empires V - saved designs are quite useless if you have not researched all the components, that are in your saved design.

SewerStarFish said:
My PhD was in strategy --how'd you guess

lol - have not seen this the first time I read it. Great: now you see my point :goodjob:

yeah that's the problem with ship design and the tech tree

a specific design is tied down to a relative spot on at least 8 branches of the tech tree...the odds of needing to build a batch of ships at exactly the same tech levels is pretty much non-existent

yeah just got an email from stardock anouncing the new expansion....not sure if i'll pick it up but it's nice to see they're still actively developping the game =)

How can you say no to Terror Stars? I can't wait.

actually... I did not know :) - but I suppose, this works only if you always have the same research path. At least in space empires V - saved designs are quite useless if you have not researched all the components, that are in your saved design.

In GalCiv2 you can store your designs as templates that have no components so they're always available.
Yes you have to add components yourself every time, but it's not nearly as laborious as Space Empires V. Slap on a few guns, defenses and extras and you're good to go.

You can save all barebones models first of all - these require no techs..... this is the best way to make ALL your ships - save them as a template to add guns etc to - yes obviously if you make a huge hulled ship, you wont see it in your build queue until you research huge hulled ships, but would you want to?

I've got some fantastic designs here - spent many an hour on shipbuilding! :D

thanks to your replies I just restarted Galciv2 and I have to say, that I really don't like it too much. It's interface is just not as intuitive as in civ4 / FF. The ship upgrading takes very much time (especially if you have to upgrade every time you research a new tech...) while in FF you can get a new tech and go for the new units. of course FF is not nearly as "finished" or "complete" as it had to be, to be comparable. But if I play 5 hours, it gives me "more" than GC2.

Ke? GalCiv2 ? Anyone plays that s...crappy game?

I do not say that FF is absolutely awesome but comparing it GalCiv2 is a nonsense. Ok, so FF is not finished in my eyes but GalCiv2 [and the first one too] is terrible, almost just like Master of Orion 3.

For me the winner is Master of Orion 2 but FF has the chance to at least reach its level.

Top Bottom