Favorite Government, Shunned Government?

ssmith619

Must...be...original...
I was randomly seaching through the Civ3Edit program, and noticed that under every civilization is a "Favorite Government" and a "Shunned Government." Does anybody know if this affects gameplay at all or what exactly it does?

My assumption is that it's supposed to refer to the government that this or that civ will work to become, and will always avoid. If so, however, I haven't seen that it makes any difference, since all the civs seem to go for Democracy as soon as they get it regardless of what their favorite and shunned governments are listed as.

It's what that civ prefers to see other civs have as their government. It isn't always noticeable (it isn't a MAJOR change, just a minor one), but I usually see an attitude change of other civs towards me after I have changed to another government. sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst. They will go from polite to cautious, or from annoyed to cautious for example.

Oh is that what it does? When I used the help thing in the editor it said it was the government they would always try to use unless its impossible or something. or shunned it said a government they would never use unless forced to and then would change as soon as possible.

I think certain civs will try for certain kind of governments, but I also notice the reputation change. In fact, in my last game after switching from despotism into republic (I was one of the last ones to do so), all the civs that were annoyed became polite. It really does make a difference!

Yeah kinda like the US and Bush...

America: Favourite Government=Democracy
Shunned Government =Bush

Let's say I'm Honest Abe, and I love a democracy. I sail across the Pacific to meet with Chairman Mao. He's a democracy, too.

Does this mean that he will be more hostile to me because I am NOT running a communist government, but one that is similar to his, or will he be more pleased?

Can someone experienced in the ways of Civ3 enlighten us? I always thought that those settings in the editor were preferred governments for that tribe: i.e. the Chinese have a higer chance than the Americans of revolting to Communism. I thought that as far as diplomacy goes, a given civ will be more friendly to other civ's that share its government type.

It all means exactly what it says...the AI will gravitate towards its preferred government types...that is how the AI prioritizes them. The AI will never enter the "shunned" gov't type.

My favorite is the Zulu: their main preference is Despotism, meaning they are unlikely to leave it ever during the game. Yet another indication that, as I've said before, Shaka is the Jar Jar Binks of Civ3 AI.

Originally posted by Yzman
Yet the Zulus just like everyone else leave it as soon as possible. So obviously it doesn't mean that.

Have you tested that on the latest patch?

If so, Firaxis: WTF? :confused:

I can't swear to it, but I believe that the "favorite / shunned governments" just acts as a small modifier to AI attitudes towards other civs. So, if Honest Abe (democracy) meets Chairman Mao (democracy), Chairman Mao will be slightly less inclined to be "polite" towards Abe because foolish Abe hasn't blessed his people with the wonders of the communist government. Do as I say, not as I do ;).

Even under 1.29f, I frequently see AI civs using their "shunned" government - hence my belief that it affects attitude towards others, not siuational government choice. This formulation tracks with an oft-repeated Firaxis goal of giving each civ a slightly different feel and gameplay style, so that it seems that you're not just playing against the same core AI in different wrapping paper (UUs, default aggression levels, and "build often" flags are other manifestations of this same goal).

Originally posted by ssmith619
I was randomly seaching through the Civ3Edit program, and noticed that under every civilization is a "Favorite Government" and a "Shunned Government." Does anybody know if this affects gameplay at all or what exactly it does?

Use the help file.

I've also noticed the Russians or the Chinese rushing their science towards Communism as soon as they enter the Industrial Age. So perhaps it kinda affects their science paths too.

Top Bottom