7 new screenshots and more information emerges from GDC (8th March 2012)

(Ahem, clears throat) The Huns were the ones driving all those puny German and Teutonic (as the Goths were from modern Sweden) tribes before them in terror out of their homelands and into the territory of the decaying Roman Empire. The Huns, therefore, were the major cause of the fall of the Empire in the West.

They also brought with them a military innovation in the laminated bow they fired from horseback, putting much more power behind the arrow. They were able to do so on the basis of another innovation - the stirrup - that they also introduced to the clueless and backwards Europeans, barbarian or civilized.

Language? Just have them speak HUNgarian :) Yes the Magyars were a different people, but they came in on the same script - from central Asia, on horseback, invading terror, non- Indo-European language, yada, yada. And they likely bore some linguistic relation to their Hunnish predecessors.

And Attila is a modern Hungarian name in use.

Seriously? Huns.
I'm really curious what they're going to make Attila speak? complete gibberish? There are so many better Asiatic civilizations that the Huns. They weren't that important in the fall of Rome. What about the Ostrogoths, the Visigoths, the Vandals, the Franks, the Burgundians, and so on?
I hope Attila looks extremely ugly and short like he was in life. And I don't really count the Huns as Asian when they had they brief empire in Europe.

I'd feel a lot better about the Huns if they were the Hungarians.
At least we have a language and city names for them. The Hungarians have
always said Attila was one of them. Theres a statue of Attila in Budapest
and he certainly doesn't look like a mongol. He looked European.

(Ahem, clears throat) The Huns were the ones driving all those puny German and Teutonic (as the Goths were from modern Sweden) tribes before them in terror out of their homelands and into the territory of the decaying Roman Empire. The Huns, therefore, were the major cause of the fall of the Empire in the West.

True

They also brought with them a military innovation in the laminated bow they fired from horseback, putting much more power behind the arrow. They were able to do so on the basis of another innovation - the stirrup - that they also introduced to the clueless and backwards Europeans, barbarian or civilized.

This can be argued...
Language? Just have them speak HUNgarian :) Yes the Magyars were a different people, but they came in on the same script - from central Asia, on horseback, invading terror, non- Indo-European language, yada, yada. And they likely bore some linguistic relation to their Hunnish predecessors.

They(Magyars) came more from the caucasus mountain range and spoke what is considered more related to Finnish/Karelian langauge.

In fact Bulgaria has a similar history.Look up Old Bulgaria.

And Attila is a modern Hungarian name in use.

Thats due to the fact that nationalism was strong in the last few centuries and there weren't a whole lot of easy choices for heros and the Huns did take out many civs,plus early belief was that the Huns were the same as magyars(they aren't the same)

I just ...as a Hungarian we like to think we were Huns,but historically we are as closely related to Huns as Native Americans are to English/Dutch colonists(both shared the same land,but were of course different)

anyway we all know they will be lazy and have them speak Hungarian,but atleast Budapest is not the capitol...that'd be plain stupid....

By most accounts the Avars brought the stirrup, not the Huns.

It's not clear to me how the Huns of all people qualify as a civilisation. Their rule in the West was short and the Bulgars, who have the best claim to their legacy, would have been a better choice. As would several hundred other actual civilised (i.e. possessing a civil culture i.e NOT THE HUNS) cultures.

The Hungarian claim to Attila's legacy is spurious and based on 19th century romantic delusions. Not that the Hungarians themselves would have been a bad choice next to this.

Hey ho, it's still better than 'Native Americans'.

As a fellow Hungarian, I agree with everything King Kalmah said
Except the language part... god I hope they won't make the Huns speak Hungarian :/

@Depravo: Actually I don't think the Bulgarians have too much real claim to the Hun legacy either
Even if there is some sort of connection between Huns+Hungarians or Huns+Bulgarians, it's very insignificant
Still (or exactly because of that), both Hungary and Bulgaria would have been a much better choice

EDIT: @King Kalmah:
Caucasus mountain range? AFAIK it was the southwestern parts of the Uralian mountain range
Anyway, your point still stands - definitely not from Asia

Anybody else think this "Atilla's Court"-gate is eerily similar to when Firaxis introduced The Holy Roman Empire in BtS?

I don't think it's so bad to include the Huns. Sure, they didn't have cities, but they were still powerful and influental. Civ is not a historic simulator á la Europa Universalis. What if the Huns were to settle and form a non-nomadic civilization? These kind of "what ifs" are one of the reasons I enjoy Civ. Bring them on :)

I think all the doom-and-gloom over the Huns is a little premature until we know more about them in-game. Their UU or UA could be something completely new that makes them play like no other Civ. Just because they aren't a civilization that "stood the test of time," the whole point of the game is to take a civilization and mold it into just that. I don't recall the Iroqouis ever winning a space race, but in Civ5, you can make it happen.

I like the idea of the Huns, it only for the opportunity for Firaxis to think outside the box in creating a UA. Let's just hope it is balanced.

...the opportunity for Firaxis to think outside the box in creating a UA.

I would *love* this:

Huns are not able to build settlers. Instead of this, their early horsemen are able to establish temporary encampments.

Temporary encampments...
- can be converted into horsemen again
- are able to build units like cities
- have a (moderate) range attack like cities
- have a cultural border like cities with all consequences (harvest resources, fighting bonus with WW or SoPos)
- can build a limited set of buildings (barracks, palisades (=walls), monument); all buildings are lost, when converted into horsemen
- (optional) have a starting population related to the unit's experience
- are a promotion and can be passed on upgrade
- don't add to SoPo costs but...
- (optional) ...create some unhappiness (but less than "normal" cities)

Can you imagine the tactical and strategical possibilities? :crazyeye:

I would *love* this:

Huns are not able to build settlers. Instead of this, their early horsemen are able to establish temporary encampments.

Temporary encampments...
- can be converted into horsemen again
- are able to build units like cities
- have a (moderate) range attack like cities
- have a cultural border like cities with all consequences (harvest resources, fighting bonus with WW or SoPos)
- can build a limited set of buildings (barracks, palisades (=walls), monument); all buildings are lost, when converted into horsemen
- (optional) have a starting population related to the unit's experience
- are a promotion and can be passed on upgrade
- don't add to SoPo costs but...
- (optional) ...create some unhappiness (but less than "normal" cities)

Can you imagine the tactical and strategical possibilities? :crazyeye:

While this sounds awesome, I don't see it translating to the modern era very well. What happens when you hit the Industrial age and tanks replace your horsemen? Can your tanks now set up camps? And what would a "modern" barbarian camp look like?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and hope Firaxis goes with something really out of the box like it, but it's gonna be hard to make it fit.

And what would a "modern" barbarian camp look like?

What would a modern barbarian look like?

The classic idea of a barbarian ranges from just "foreigners" to disorganized tribal cultures to anti-civilized warmongers like Atilla.

A modern analog might be a terrorist/guerilla cell, a drug cartel/gang , a backwater Amazon tribe, or a rogue state like North Korea.

I'm glad you like my idea. :)

I don't see a problem regarding the development over time. Just take the Hun's UU ability as a synonym for flexible warfare.
In fact, most of the passed abilities don't make much sense if you take a closer look. For example, how to explain the Dane's raiding abilities, when passed to modern units? The Hun's ability even would be quite reasonable...

As for graphic representation: Great Generals look different through eras, too. I could easily imagine a modern military encampment replacing the tents.

sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't see it happening. Just from the first paragraph of the wiki, only lasting 70 years and being a vassal state are not good signs. There is also the unfortunate "no one has heard of them" factor.

It was legendary slavic kingdom. Slavs (current Czech, Slovak, Slovenian, Serbian, Polish, Croatian nations) are neglected in Civilization series.

Something like a terrorist training camp would work well. If barbarian is in the eye of the beholder, that would work the best.

It was legendary slavic kingdom. Slavs (current Czech, Slovak, Slovenian, Serbian, Polish, Croatian nations) are neglected in Civilization series.

I agree they are neglected, just not sure thats the best representation. Bulgaria or Poland might have a better chance, they just lasted a lot longer and are more familiar to average people.

sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't see it happening. Just from the first paragraph of the wiki, only lasting 70 years and being a vassal state are not good signs. There is also the unfortunate "no one has heard of them" factor.

Well we do have the Songhai, so I guess anything is possible...

Well, Russia is in the game and even then, the Kievan Rus', the Bulgarian Empire, and Poland are all arguably more significant Slavic entities to include. (Re-iterate Poland if you were talking specifically about under-representation of West Slavic).

Top Bottom