Three potential scen/mods - input welcome

Ashoka

Reluctant Warrior
Oaky -- I've been waiting for the editor update, because I have bits and pieces of 3 potential ideas floating around, but time to develop only one [if that, to be honest!]. Anyway, I'm looking at:

1) "Alpha Centauri" type mod - make it as close to SMAC as possible. I know the FreeAC project is going - somewhere - but the basic plot ideas were too good to just let slip. Potential (c) problems, tho? Concepts for units and tech are already in place... too bad it isn't as easy to do custom units in Civ III as it was in SMAC. Lots of terrain to do, tho.

2) Ringworld - this might be pretty good, too. The basic map starts as long and thin as the editor allows, with mountains and trains along the edges. Would have to be a 'your colony ship crashed' type storyline, not actually following the books by Niven. (Might call it "Torusworld" to avoid (c) issues). the terrain could be almost the same...perhaps color-shift a few of the squarea a bit, but all new units, of course.

3) World of Tommorrow Alternate History mod/scenario- - could actually start in the 1920's, with established countries, then the tech tree progresses along the lines of the 1930's World Exposition in Chicago - - Zepplins, Monorails, Geodeisic (sp?) domes. WW II does NOT occur (Hitler gets to be a painter, I guess). Maybe Trotsky kills Stalin, and the Tzar stays on as a ceremonial figurehead, making a less authoritarian Russia. The main conflicts would be around colonialism, and dehumanized technocracies {eg- Metropolis by Fritz Lang) threatening their neighbors. Based on gameplay, you segue into a "Brave New World/1984" type distopia, or a Heinlein-esque world of space cadets and interplanetery commerce. Map is basically the same, players set up in historical locations. No new terrain to do - - focus on the tech tree

# 3 has less copyright issues, and to me personally is the most interesting. Just think about things people believed 100 years ago - - what is these things had been true or had come to pass? Canals on Mars could mean a 'Martian' unit follows the tech of "interplanatary radio communication" (hey, people envisioned trips to other planets in rockets using vacuum tube tech with the pilots using slide rules to calculate orbits!) Lots of ideas to mine from this time period.... but it may just be me that finds this interesting.

Anyway, input appreciated.

Ashoka

Idea 3 sounds very cool, I'd run with that if I were you. There are a lot of interesting ways you can take that plan for a scenario. As it is too late at night for me to do any real sort of thinking, I'll help out with ideas tomorrow. :D

Love the "Ringworld" idea!:goodjob:

Larry Niven has always been my favorite SciFi writer :love:
(and keep the name....I'm sure he would be flattered, as I know he plays role play and computer games.)

Top Bottom