Terrible?

NintendoTogepi

Noble Pacifist
I picked up the DS version today and have been playing for about 20 minutes, and the game seems to be dreadful. :crazyeye:

So many problems, but the graphics are one. They are terrible.

I would rather have Civ2 graphics...everything is so fuzzy and horrible. It's impossible to tell what is what...

I'm getting an urge to play CivIV to be honest.

So what do you think of the game? What version did you get?

Also, how do you select a group of units? And how do you make units explode automatically? And when do I get to build workers?

I haven't picked up the DS version yet myself because I've been waiting to read some review from it from people who have played it and not from a gaming mag you can't really trust anyways.

This is less then encouraging.

I picked up both the DS and Xbox360 versions today. Only played 360 version so far. I'm having fun. I've been disappointed with the graphics and the gibberish language, but otherwise lots of fun. Enjoying the "stream-lined" approach.

After playing a bit more (and winning) it's a tiny bit better then I first thought.

It still is terrible compared to CivIV, but it is okay if you're on a plane or something.

Far too streamlined, and simplified. WAY more then I thought. Is the 360/PS3 version the same?

The graphics are quite comparable to other DS games. They remind me of Civ 2. You can't compare the graphics on the DS to a PS3 or 360, but they are quite nice.

Unlike some DS games, I did not have any trouble reading the text on the screen.

I like the streamlined city management and road building. I need to get more time behind the wheel before saying more.

The graphics are quite comparable to other DS games. They remind me of Civ 2. You can't compare the graphics on the DS to a PS3 or 360, but they are quite nice.

Unlike some DS games, I did not have any trouble reading the text on the screen.

I like the streamlined city management and road building. I need to get more time behind the wheel before saying more.

Quite comparable? SimCity DS, Zelda: PH, Mario 64, New Super Mario Bros. all destroy it...

Quite comparable? SimCity DS, Zelda: PH, Mario 64, New Super Mario Bros. all destroy it...

SimCity on the DS looked horrible. Zelda looked very nice. Advanced Wars DOR is also very nice. I think Destroy is a strong word. I like the graphics for my portable Civ game!

Hi,

I had signed up for this forum a long time ago, but I've not actually posted until now.

Anyway, I play both NDS games and PC games, and I have to say the DS version of CivRev is rather below par.

Simplifying gameplay can work if done right, but the simplification done here feels very awkward; especially when trading or talking to the other leaders.

Also, the interface on the top screen is quite bad because so much text overlaps and the text is squished into small spaces (and this happens throughout the entire game).

For the amount of simplification that was done, I'm sure they had space to add better graphics. The game itself is 65 MB, plus the .SAV file would be a mere 512 KB. The maximum amount that an NDS cartridge can hold is 128 MB (the last time I worked with NDS games, this was the number at least).

I thought they wanted to give each CivRev game the attention it required and put in the work that it merited?

It is a little bit frustrating and I would have been less upset if they hadn't actually "postponed" the Wii version, as I would understand that they did not have enough time with so many projects being worked on.

Also, the gibberish sounds cheesy and has an overall childish feel to the point of being comical.

Also, does anyone know if by default your first city (or any city, for that matter) decides what to build instead of asking you what to build? It is probably something very basic I have overlooked, but my capital doesn't ask me what to build every time it is done building something.

Anyway, perhaps we ought to have a proper thread with the pros and cons of the NDS version.

It's still incredible that the game is almost 100% identical to the 360/PS3 game except the graphics which are servicable. You have to remember that the DS isn't too powerful, better graphics probably would have caused the game to chug later in the game.

Besides, by virtue of being a complete Civ game it is automatically one of the best if not the best strategy game ever on a handheld.

But the maps, if I see correctly, are just actual static images. There would be no chugging if a better static image would be loaded, according to my very limited knowledge of game development.

I think you have a point with the actual moving images and the more dynamic ones, but how many dynamic graphics are in the game moving at once, really?

I'm by no means an expert on the programming side, though.

Top Bottom