Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Blizzard on why Diablo III is being delayed again:

“While working on Diablo III we’ve been called out for messing around with systems too much, that the game is good as-is and we should just release it. I think that’s a fair argument to make, but I also think it’s incorrect. Our job isn’t just to put out a game, it’s to release the next Diablo game,” Wilson posted. “No one will remember if the game is late, only if it’s great. We trust in our ability to put out a great game, but we’re not quite there yet. In addition to finishing and polishing the content of the game we’re continuing to iterate on some of the core game systems.”

It's strange the way CIV 5 is still bugged after all the patches.

At the moment, I have a crash every about twenty/thirty turns, but when i reload (I save every turn), with a little "try and fail", I find almost always how to avoid the crash (sometimes it's delaying the building of a wonder until the next turn, sometimes is to don't move a unit for a turn and so on).

It seems to me that the new UI itself is seriously flawed and bugged.

funny.

i smell user error.

mine never crashes.

Your last statement definitely changes everything in my experience with this game. Yours never crashes, so It should be my fault! :mischief:

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry for laughing, please enlighten me, how an user error can cause a game to crash? Perhaps you meant a driver error? My drivers are always updated and dozen of cpu-intensive games run smoothly on my pc. ;)

Sorry for laughing, please enlighten me, how an user error can cause a game to crash?

You have to blow on the Steam cartridge a few times before trying to play. Failing that, try cooling your PC with water for fifteen minutes.

You have to blow on the Steam cartridge a few times before trying to play. Failing that, try cooling your PC with water for fifteen minutes.

You have to remember that for reasons of its own, Civ V places great demands on your graphics card.

See the manual, pg 286 para 2:- " For optimal cooling, the employment of a Punkawallah is recommended"....

;)

It's this little tidbit that got a huge LOL out of me.

Blizzard on why Diablo III is being delayed again: “No one will remember if the game is late, only if it’s great."

not surprising. i remember being teased for nearly 3 years on D2. no, my memory doesnt recall the specific amount of days, but i damn sure remember the lateness. but i did learn to expect a super late release. i basically believe nothing they say until a release date actually happens.

You have to remember that for reasons of its own, Civ V places great demands on your graphics card.

See the manual, pg 286 para 2:- " For optimal cooling, the employment of a Punkawallah is recommended"....

;)

So, all those icebergs that would make Al Gore commit suicide that I see in-game floating around the poles, they are not meant to cool down the graphics engine????

Bummer!:D

So, all those icebergs that would make Al Gore commit suicide that I see in-game floating around the poles, they are not meant to cool down the graphics engine????

Bummer!:D

They're meant to cool down the player when the German city-state declares war on your continent-spanning empire for no reason other than faulty AI.

Now, i've been whining about being disappointed over Civ5 quite alot. But i have still somewhat liked it. Not the gameplay, or balance, or combat.. But still been somewhat hopeful, especially with mods.

But then i started playing Civ4 again this week and i noticed dozens of things i thought in my mind that Civ5 had, because "lol why would they not include that? don't be ridiculous!".
I had to literally go back to Civ5 for each thing just to check, to make sure i wasn't imagining how much was missing..

So obviously we know of the big things, no diplomacy, no tech trading, no corporations, no religion.
But all the small things really stunned me.

1. Civ4 has individual civ specific voices for the units. Everytime you click on a unit it feels like it is an actual human being you guide, as opposed to a Civ5 generic "Swoochpm" sound.
With so much money thrown into voices in Civ5, they couldn't afford to record 2-3 unit-select sounds for each of the few civs in the game. But a lower budget Civ4 could?

2. Civ4 has globe view, allowing you to view the entire map from above the clouds, making it feel like a real planet as opposed to a table with pawns on it.
With millions spent on graphics in Civ5, they couldn't possibly manage to code a globe view, even with a 2d terrain (no, the strategic view does not count). Where did all this money go? Into tessellation?

3. Civ4 has far better, and more audible, ambient sounds. When over a jungle the entire soundscape immerses you in a massive cocoon of jungleness. In Civ5 you can barely hear it. Same with the music, there's great music in Civ5 but even at max it is so incredibly quiet that you can't enjoy it.

4. Civ4 has music for each age level and civ when you zoom in on a city rather than just generic 'citynoise', not to mention the main menu music which captures the enjoyment and excitement of building a civilization. Civ5's main menu music is so incredibly drab and depressing, including the background 'image' which all create an atmosphere of something so dull and grey devoid of any joy or playfulness what so ever.
Again, millions spent on the visuals and audio in Civ5, yet while bragging about having symphony orchestras recording it, the compositions are so utterly drab and mediocre. A symphony orchestra is only as good as the notes on the paper they play to.

5. Civ4 has actual interesting maps, with beautiful sprawling jungles (that aren't desaturated gray-green) and filled to the brim with details everywhere you look. As opposed to endless flat empty land.
So much effort spent on the magical hexes and natural terrain & graphics, yet they fail to produce results surpassing that of Civ4 maps with mapscripts in python that has been out for 4 years already, made by private modders just for lulz. Not even being paid for it.. (Planet generator, Perfectworld2, SmartMap, Tectonics)

6. An obvious one, several leaders per civ, all animated.
Again, millions spent on graphis and 'amg full screen leaders'. Yet they fail to have more than 1 leader per civ? The voiceovers barely qualify as an excuse in terms of being too much work, with no civ voices for unit selection, and given how most civs in Civ5 barely even say anything what so ever when you offer or accept a deal. 1-2 unique lines at most. Sometimes they are even completely quiet, a la Civ4.

I need not go on. It really surprised me. Civ4 is even better and more detailed than my memory made me believe. You know you always have nostalgia clouding the truth in some cases, i really thought i was being overly hard on Civ5.

But after reinstalling Civ4 i just can't comprehend how many small details are utterly lacking in Civ5.
It is like comparing a pepperoni pizza to just 1 slice of pepperoni laying on the floor. :goodjob:

Moderator Action: Merged with rants thread.

1. Civ4 has individual civ specific voices for the units. Everytime you click on a unit it feels like it is an actual human being you guide, as opposed to a Civ5 generic "Swoochpm" sound.
With so much money thrown into voices in Civ5, they couldn't afford to record 2-3 unit-select sounds for each of the few civs in the game. But a lower budget Civ4 could?

2. Civ4 has globe view, allowing you to view the entire map from above the clouds, making it feel like a real planet as opposed to a table with pawns on it.
With millions spent on graphics in Civ5, they couldn't possibly manage to code a globe view, even with a 2d terrain (no, the strategic view does not count). Where did all this money go? Into tessellation?

3. Civ4 has far better, and more audible, ambient sounds. When over a jungle the entire soundscape immerses you in a massive cocoon of jungleness. In Civ5 you can barely hear it. Same with the music, there's great music in Civ5 but even at max it is so incredibly quiet that you can't enjoy it.

4. Civ4 has music for each age level and civ when you zoom in on a city rather than just generic 'citynoise', not to mention the main menu music which captures the enjoyment and excitement of building a civilization. Civ5's main menu music is so incredibly drab and depressing, including the background 'image' which all create an atmosphere of something so dull and grey devoid of any joy or playfulness what so ever.
Again, millions spent on the visuals and audio in Civ5, yet while bragging about having symphony orchestras recording it, the compositions are so utterly drab and mediocre. A symphony orchestra is only as good as the notes on the paper they play to.

5. Civ4 has actual interesting maps, with beautiful sprawling jungles (that aren't desaturated gray-green) and filled to the brim with details everywhere you look. As opposed to endless flat empty land.
So much effort spent on the magical hexes and natural terrain & graphics, yet they fail to produce results surpassing that of Civ4 maps with mapscripts in python that has been out for 4 years already, made by private modders just for lulz. Not even being paid for it.. (Planet generator, Perfectworld2, SmartMap, Tectonics)

This is the best rant that I've read from this thread, because these 5 points in particular really go to show how much of a labour of love Civ4 was and how much of a labour of love Civ5 wasn't.

I just want to hear word that there is a team working on an expansion and this game is not dead. (Not just DLC civs/wonders - though I'm so desperate I'll buy those also).

Now, i've been whining about being disappointed over Civ5 quite alot. But i have still somewhat liked it. Not the gameplay, or balance, or combat.. But still been somewhat hopeful, especially with mods.

But then i started playing Civ4 again this week and i noticed dozens of things i thought in my mind that Civ5 had, because "lol why would they not include that? don't be ridiculous!".
I had to literally go back to Civ5 for each thing just to check, to make sure i wasn't imagining how much was missing..

So obviously we know of the big things, no diplomacy, no tech trading, no corporations, no religion.

Again, millions spent on graphis and 'amg full screen leaders'. Yet they fail to have more than 1 leader per civ? The voiceovers barely qualify as an excuse in terms of being too much work, with no civ voices for unit selection, and given how most civs in Civ5 barely even say anything what so ever when you offer or accept a deal. 1-2 unique lines at most. Sometimes they are even completely quiet, a la Civ4.

I need not go on. It really surprised me. Civ4 is even better and more detailed than my memory made me believe. You know you always have nostalgia clouding the truth in some cases, i really thought i was being overly hard on Civ5.

But after reinstalling Civ4 i just can't comprehend how many small details are utterly lacking in Civ5.
It is like comparing a pepperoni pizza to just 1 slice of pepperoni laying on the floor. :goodjob:

Welcome to the club brother!

Only two things differentiate us: I never uninstalled 4 in the first place (basically, I did not trust a civ game without demo and with a "Giant Death Robot"), and the second and most important, it really surprises me that you are surprised by the abiss of differences.

Indeed, a pepperoni slice...

Excellent post. cIV really is an outstanding game. So much to love.

It's still on my computer after all these years and it's still being played.

So much better than pepperoni on the floor. Lol.

To be fair, Civ4 had its flavor quirks (the incomplete cultural citystyles - Classical and Far Eastern, but no Middle Eastern - and ethnic diverse units - having the Middle Eastern nations with appropriate Axemen, but with European Swordsmen, while the Far Eastern ones had it reversed were glaring), and I actually don't like the aesthetics of Civ4 much.

There were also flavor losses in transition from 3 to 4 - witness the Palace/Throne Room, leaders changing their clothing with era...

I liked Globe Views, though. It's puzzling that they decided to remove them.

Can we have a rants sub-forum? I'm not saying it like the game is so bad it needs its own sub-forum, just that this thread is a little directionless and disorganized and it's hard to find posts complaining about a specific topic.

I'm more and more convinced that AI behaviour is completely random.
I just played for the first time with no City States, and around 1910 I get the message that my influence is decresing faster due to another players policies.
Yes, Suleiman the Artificial Imbecile had just completed the Patronage tree in a game without City States :rolleyes:
I bet he was also trying to research Globalization and get a diplomatic victory, but I can't prove it. It was on a Duel map with only him and me.

Well as someone who only tried a few SP games when civ5 came out and then shelved it in disgust, i wouldnt have much reason to come here and rant now. But I have been playing a few games on MP with my bro lately.

I just wanna say that when I first got CIV5 I had no graphics problems. Used to run it on maxed out gfx, dx10. sure turn times got very slow in late game but otherwise i had no graphical errors. Well since I tried civ5 again in MP now I have frequenty graphical problems.. for example the clouds all turn red and blocky.. or a city drags across teh screen.

tbh MP just blows big time. It's nice to not have to deal with stupid AI DoWs, other requests and various immersion-breaking problems in SP, but in the end a 1v1 in civ is boring and pointless. CIV SP is where the fun should have been.

oh well, i doubt i will ever get over 10 hours civ5 time lol

Top Bottom